By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's original idea was not meant to be intentionally malicious....

badgenome said:
pokoko said:
All they had to do was to give consumers real incentives and value with going digital. That's all.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? It's thanks to moronic luddities like yourself that we have been deprived of a future of sharing demos with up to 9 of our friends. I hope you're happy, you filth.

What have I done ..

Around the Network

Like I've said before... if they were serious about going digital only all they need to do is make a console with no optical drive. They were to chicken sh*t to do that so they tried to find a balance. And that balance just ended up being a clusterf*k of confusion. I see what they were trying to do but you either go big or you go home and MS was not ready to go big.

enditall727 said:

@ thread title

That's what they all say..

Lucifer supposedly said the same thing aswell

So you think that Microsoft's original thought was "let's screw our base over"? I don't think any reputable company would ever think in such a way, especially with a company like Microsoft that has gotten to a level that it has...I'd say the logical outcome is that they had a vision that was shortsighted, and attempted to have oversights fixed with more oversights, which ended up in a huge mess....

Whether that is true or not, it makes absolutely no difference. The end result is the same, and for better or worse, perception is reality. No one cares about the truth, or the intent.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

badgenome said:

Of course it's not entirely malicious. It's not like they said, "Let's just fuck everyone over!"

But they did look at how much money Halo launches bring in. And they did think about how nice it would be if they got to keep all that loot and retailers got exactly $0. And they did think that was a future they should try to make a reality sooner rather than later. But they did not think for two seconds about how to make this in any way, shape, or form beneficial to the consumer. And they learned a valuable lesson, at least for now.

I think they get enough money from Halo to say "Hey, lets be greedy fuckers and get more!". The original issue was companies who were saying that they were struggling to meet financial ends, which is the exact opposite of what Halo was doing. I'd say it was more about their vision having potential to alienate those struggling companies by them saying "Hey guess what, we're going to make consumers make copies of your game on their hard drive for convenience", and said 3rd parties having this horrible thought of unrestricted copying of the same licensed title. It's that fine balance between consumer wants/rights and developer needs...

Around the Network
Stinky said:
It's the standard knee-jerk hate one finds on the internet. Observe that the loudest opponents of MS' DRM on this site are also vocal opponents of MS in general. This would hold true across the internet.

That's right, but I'm also saying that a lot of neutral grounds also jumped to conclusions here. Hell, even I got to the point of "Hell, Microsoft have lost their minds. Imposing this sort of stuff with no consumer benefit? Nobody will stand for this", but my problem was that I only learned about the consumer benefit that they truly had in mind yesterday, and it started to make a little more sense...

fordy said:

I think they get enough money from Halo to say "Hey, lets be greedy fuckers and get more!".

Yeah, that doesn't sound like Microsoft at all...

I think you are way overthinking this thing. Microsoft saw a chance to make even more money while having absolute control over all of your content and getting all the third parties to hail them as the savior, so they went for it. Then it blew up in their faces quite spectacularly, but sadly not quite as spectacularly as it would have if they had actually gone through with it. Period.

NO of course they didnt set out to piss gamers off. I cant believe the abuse theyve got on the internet its not justified at all . i can see the advantages of drm for me family sharing and having all my games in one place to access instantly is a step forward we live in a digital world. seems like a lot of people dont like change.im hoping that MS might bring an opt in drm sometime down the line

wilco said:
Like I've said before... if they were serious about going digital only all they need to do is make a console with no optical drive. They were to chicken sh*t to do that so they tried to find a balance. And that balance just ended up being a clusterf*k of confusion. I see what they were trying to do but you either go big or you go home and MS was not ready to go big.

I think that's a valid point, too. They probably thought that the sight of no games on retail shelves for the Xbox one would have it seen in a rather negative way for the average consumer, which is probably why they chose this middle-ground. Still, an all-digital system would have been interesting to see, considering the costs/space saved on an optical drive....

HappyHenry said:
NO of course they didnt set out to piss gamers off. I cant believe the abuse theyve got on the internet its not justified at all . i can see the advantages of drm for me family sharing and having all my games in one place to access instantly is a step forward we live in a digital world. seems like a lot of people dont like change.im hoping that MS might bring an opt in drm sometime down the line

Are you aware of the fact that "family sharing" didn't mean sharing full games, it meant that people could demo your games for <1 hour? Is that really worth giving up physical ownership of your games?