By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU - the best looking console game (SPOILERS)

Tagged games:

Maybe I have a crap TV but I wasn't overly impressed with the visuals in TLOU. As Jaywood said early the character models look great but the rest of the game is just good not GREAT.

Around the Network

Uncharted 2, God of War III, Uncharted 3, and Killzone 3 were far more visually impressive for their time as opposed to The Last of Us. Those games pushed the PS3 to its limits and hardly had any noticeable glitches and bugs as well unlike the TLOU. It shows that the PS3 is starting to show its age and games on the platform don't look as visually striking as they once were.

I was a bit disappointed at the graphics when I first played it. I mean it was awesome but I thought UC3 was better and then I started progressing on the game and the areas got bigger and It was stunning. It was just that everything around you actually had a purpose. In all uncharted games, you can barely go anywhere; it was very linear and small. In TLOU you can explore almost every nook and cranny of the place, of every house, of every room. Just almost, not literally every place. The art direction is also fantastic. I think the part where Ellie and Joel encounters the giraffe and looks at them while they walk around the destroyed city was just beautiful. Very few games offer these kinds of moments in gaming. They also applied the best in-game lighting I've seen in a video game. Self-shadowing, light bouncing of things, colors affecting the lighting, every light source is actually a light source where it produces shadows of things, shadows aren't baked like in most games these days. The way the lighting changes as you transition from a dark place to sunny area, it's very realistic. I'm sure it's still arguable whether it's the best looking game this gen, but for me it is.

dsage01 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

GOWIII

I think the bigger and more complex environments in TLOU compensated for lesser visuals than UC3, but it still looks stunning.

Uncharted 3 looks superior than Uncharted 2 and God of War Ascension is visually more impressive than God of War III

GOW3 was actually at the end of my list lol. Some dumb formatting error meant the rest got cut out

graphics really look amazing.

Around the Network

On the credits role, I really wasn't expecting that David was voiced by Nolan North. He's such a different character to Nathan Drake.

Rainbow Yoshi said:
On the credits role, I really wasn't expecting that David was voiced by Nolan North. He's such a different character to Nathan Drake.

Haha yeah. As a huge Drake fan I was like WTF xD

Meh... Gears of War Judgement looked at par.

Also, some of those pictures were taken from FMV cutscenes. Most of the cutscenes were FMV. I noticed Naughty Dog did that a lot in Uncharted games as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Meh... Gears of War Judgement looked at par.

Also, some of those pictures were taken from FMV cutscenes. Most of the cutscenes were FMV. I noticed Naughty Dog did that a lot in Uncharted games as well.

Umm.. dunno how to break this down to you dawg but like 5 out of approx 80 images are from cutscenes LOL

BenVTrigger said:
Not even close.

But fantastic game.

At least name a game that looks better to you.

"Not even close" makes it seem like it's very far from the best...

Now... What console game that uses quantum compute rendering are you referring to?