By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson On DRM Concerns, Silencing Don Mattrick and How PS4 Isn’t a Threat

DRM! 

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Why are people making a big deal about the military not being able to play the Xbox 1? They represent a very very tiny share of the market so whichever console they buy won't make a big difference.

It's the not caring mindset and tone that is rubbing people the wrong way.

Interview screams fake, if the PS4 had heating issues then Sony simply wouldn't place it in such a confined case if they knew they'd generate too much heat, and seeing as the GDDR5 is faster than the Xbones setup, as well as the PS4s gpu, I fail to understand how if Sony decided to downclock the RAM due to heat issues, if true, would make up for roughly a 600 - 900 Flops difference between the GPU's.

LemonSlice said:
Deyon said

He also pointed out that unlike the free games you get on PSN, the two free games per month on XBL are yours forever. Whereas if you cancel your PS Plus subscription, you would lose those games.

You don't lose the games, not exactly at least. You lose access to them.

Two free per month is only from ow to Xbone release though isn't it? So how does that put Xbone at an advantage?

"They followed up by announcing that between July 1st and the release of the Xbone, all XBL Gold users will get 2 free games per month.  Now, I support gamers getting free stuff for sure, but it sounds like this will end as soon as the Xbone releases, so it’s just for X360 players. " http://www.ign.com/blogs/dojndo/2013/06/12/e3-2013-facts-opinions-and-fapinions

Smoke and mirrors?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Deyon said:

1) It also looks at the PS4 as “Xbox 360 version 2″ due to the lack of social and multi-tasking features. The company doesn’t even see Sony as a threat. Even better, it believes that the PS4′s graphics RAM will run hotter, besides not being as optimized as the Xbox One. Thus leading to both being evenly matched or, believe it or not, the Xbox One performing ahead.

2) The good news is that the company sees Don Mattrick as some one who is making them look worse, and is working to muffle him.

Source

1) Hello 2007 marketing campaign against Wii. They tried to write off Wii as Gamecube 1.5, didn't work then either.

2) Hyrb is such a bullshit artists Mattrick can't keep up. Don Mattrick tells it straight and true: if you don't have internet then we have Xbox360 for you, it's an offline console. That shot of truth was so refreshing. Don Mattrick #toohonestforMicrosoft

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

"The company doesn’t even see Sony as a threat. Even better, it believes that the PS4′s graphics RAM will run hotter, besides not being as optimized as the Xbox One."

I thought the GDDR5 ram in the PS4 was unified also have Microsoft seen what Sony have chosen to cool the PS4 down, what makes me curious about Microsoft assuming GDDR5 memory getting hot when i have 2 GTX 670 graphics cards which are both overclocked and both use the default cooling shroud (no custom cooling dual fans or vapor-chamber) and gets no hotter than 75 °C.

There is still at least 4-5 months before these consoles launch so either can make improvements and optimisations , i think its a bit stupid to suggest graphics memory will run hotter when AMD clearly know how to make both CPU's and GPU's run really fast and cool, if the PS4 uses a vapor-chamber then they could push the GDDR5 memory even faster than the current GPU's like the GTX 780 uses at over 7ghz or the entire CPU/GPU configuration.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:
"The company doesn’t even see Sony as a threat. Even better, it believes that the PS4′s graphics RAM will run hotter, besides not being as optimized as the Xbox One."

I forgot to add that to the list of spin and BS from someone who I can't fathom why he's so well regarded.

Seriously, PS4 is a smaller console, with less by the way of air vents, and no external power brick. If PS4 RAM is going to run hotter than Xbone and Xbone needs all that airflow and external powerbrick to keep cool, that means PS4 will melt through your floor and burn your house down.

The guy is blowing smoke out his arse and calling it fresh air. He's given up on trying to say good things about Xbone and is trying to rag on PS4 and all he can come up with is crap.

Jimi Hendrix

Looks like Major Nelson did what he had to do. Xbox One has no more restrictions. Keep on Xbox'ng military.