By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will each console get its 1000th game launched for it?

On another thread, it was brought up that a certain console once it got down to $200 would have 1000 games for it. I looked up to see how many consoles in the past have made it to 1000 games (per VGChartz) and here are the results:

Name #of Games
PS2 2055
Xbox 887
PS 778
SNES 682
GC 651
Sat 392
Wii 374
N64 348
X360 327
NES 305
DC 287
PS3 233
GEN 205
GG 110

As you can see, only one console, the PS2 had over 1000 games made for their systems. But Xbox came close. And being out only one year +, the Wii is making good progress towards that mark. X360 has a healthy amount, but that is two years. PS3 the laggard, but only one year.

But this thread is not to predict a winner. That's too easy. No, it's going to be much harder than that. I want predictions on when, per VGChartz, there are 500 and then 1000 games for each console, if ever.

Note: My title of the thread is technically off, since VGChartz lists a game before it is launched, but when VGC says there are that many, that will be the official date of reaching the targets.

*fixed*

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

I can't believe that Snes had so many games and PS one didn't reached 1000 games..

VG Chartz has a lot of games missing though.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

"SNES 10665"

Umm, isn't that the number of games in the database, not SNES games.

There are over 8000 games for PS2.

However, I think that we track the current-gen games pretty well because they are usually added when released.

Not sure how long it will take PS360, but if developer support keeps ramping up, I think the Wii will have it in 2 years (end of '09)

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Snes had that many games?

there isn't that many games for ps2 thekitchensink but there is about 6500-7000 games for psx and ps2 combinded.

Yakuzaice said:
"SNES 10665"

Umm, isn't that the number of games in the database, not SNES games.

Ahhh.. mea culpa.   The SNES must have snuck out while I wasn't watching.  Only 682 games for it.   PS2 moves up to the number one spot!

*goes and fixes the initial post*

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

SNES had under 1000 games. 600-800, I believe. 682 in database.

Remember, Nintendo restricted third parties to 5 games a year for many years. Third parties would buy/create multiple labels to circumvent that, but it still kept the total number of games low.

PS and PS2 both had well over 1000 games, however. I have no idea what GB might have totaled, but I'm assuming PS1 was the first system to reach 1000.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The database is missing so much information it's not even funny. The NES had over 770 games released in the U.S. alone, let alone all of the Japanese exclussives. Go ahead, look here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/916386/25158

Really, this site doesn't have accurate numbers for even a single system that was released before the website was made. Not a single one. GG, the lowest on the initial list, has more than twice as many as cited here. Even the Neo Geo had more than 110 game releases, and people are just going to buy the concept that the GG had less than that? Go ahead, check: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gamegear/file/916376/5922

There's basically nothing to compare here if the numbers are going to be that far off. I mean, the SNES sold more than 700 games in the U.S. alone, throw in the Japanese exlussives and, once again, you should have another system over 1000 like the NES. Feel free to check out the U.S. only list here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/916396/40446

You do not have the right to never be offended.