By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Games Playable Without Servers Post Generation

Major Nelson assured us that at the end of this generation's lifecycle, when the Xbox One's servers shut down permanently, you'll still be able to play your old games.

In an interview with /r/games, Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb answered some of the most "upvoted" questions from the popular videogaming sub-reddit. Right off the bat, he was asked what would happen after the Xbox One servers are shut down at the end of the new generation. Specifically, he was asked if games would be unplayable after Microsoft pulled the plug. His response was a reassuring one: "That's certainly something we would not do. That's not the way the system is designed. It's designed for flexibility. But let's get the system out there first."

Next, Hryb was asked whether players who were banned from Xbox Live would lose access to the single player portion of all of the games they have registered to their account. "Absolutely not," Hryb replied with confidence.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125064-Xbox-One-Games-Will-Still-be-Playable-When-Servers-Shut-Down

Around the Network

Seems like cloud is not required to play games after all.

ethomaz said:
Seems like cloud is not required to play games after all.

Has that ever been stated? I feel sorry for the guy! He seems so nice and down to earth and he has to run around from place to place to clean up this PR Mess!

Sounds good.

ironmanDX said:

Has that ever been stated? I feel sorry for the guy! He seems so nice and won to earth and he has to run around from place to place to clean up this PR Mess!

He seems to be the most lucid MS PR at the moment... nice guy.

Around the Network

He should be the only guy at MS that's allowed to talk to the public.

Well both are good to know! I guess there are a few more questions answered.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

JusSayian said:

I would agree but Yusef isn't all that bad...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

JusSayian said:

You're forgetting Bill Gates?

ironmanDX said:

You're forgetting Bill Gates?

Gates is working yet? I guess he was retired.