By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter says PS4 will sell at a small profit for Sony, GTTV

Why do people make a big deal about what Pachter says?

Around the Network

sounds like a good idea

Have a hard time believing it be a sold at profit. I don't think they'll lose a ton of $$, but not at margin.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Probably a small loss, nothing huge.

PS+ will have them covered.

Soleron said:
Sony declined to say whether it was making a profit or loss. That means loss. Probably small but still.

It's just that they shat their pants as soon as they read Pachter analysis.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Small loss, but PSN Plus was basically recoup all the loss is my guess.

BasilZero said:
binary solo said:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1zpcu1/e3-2013-e3-2013--pachter-interview--stream-

I watched the interview yesterday and can't be bothered going through it again for the exact numbers. But he says their [virtual?] tear down puts manufacturing at about $325, add other costs to get the units to stores, and the marketing expenses I gues that might put the cost of PS4 up by about $25. Pachter thinks about $375 wholesale, with the retailer getting a $24 margin.

I know Pachter's predictions are often terrible, but I think his technical contacts making these estimates must be reasonably good at what they do. So I'm picking that this is a reasonable estimate. At worst his margin for errorprobably puts PS4 at break even for Sony. Which is still a really good starting point.

I haven't seen any teardown estimates for Xbone, but I'm picking Xbone must be making a small profit too, unless Kinect is a helluva expensive piece of kit.

Anyway, this bodes very well for Sony, and it means Sony will be in a position to drop the price any time after the first year on market and remain profitable per unit. Either to stay within a certain price diferential with Wii U, or to remain cheaper than Xbone, or to just drop the price on a pre-determined pricing schedule.

Sony is a greedy, evil corporation, we must not lose sight of that fact. But they are doing a damned good job of pretending to be our friend.

Sorry I am still an embed noob.

Damn Pachter just called Sony greedy evil corporation - does that mean they are a generous good corporation?

When it comes to calling what is today, Pachter isn't horrible.  Now, if Pachter were to PREDICT Sony would become a greedy and evil corporation, you are better off betting on the opposite.  Pachter's main problem is his horrible track record predicting things.

GAF revised their "PS4 initial costing analysis".

Revised analysis.

APU (CPU/GPU) - 65-80
8GB GDDR5 - 80-105
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 10-18
Video encode/decode chip - 0 (included in OS chip, we figure)
Blu-ray drive - 25-35
Hard drive - 30-35
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 10-30
DS4 - 20-29
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Total parts/silicon - 272-364

Other costs:

Internal PSU - 27-40
Cooling - 33-50
Assembly - 15-20

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - 390-430 (Does not include PS Camera since it is not bundled)

Accessories:

PS4 Eye -12-20

All figures in USD.

Please, please, please remember that this is based on the specification only and cost prices that we know, without a PS4 in the hand there will be mistakes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688

ethomaz said:

GAF revised their "PS4 initial costing analysis".

Revised analysis.

APU (CPU/GPU) - 65-80
8GB GDDR5 - 80-105
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 10-18
Video encode/decode chip - 0 (included in OS chip, we figure)
Blu-ray drive - 25-35
Hard drive - 30-35
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 10-30
DS4 - 20-29
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Total parts/silicon - 272-364

Other costs:

Internal PSU - 27-40
Cooling - 33-50
Assembly - 15-20

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - 390-430 (Does not include PS Camera since it is not bundled)

Accessories:

PS4 Eye -12-20

All figures in USD.

Please, please, please remember that this is based on the specification only and cost prices that we know, without a PS4 in the hand there will be mistakes.

Pretty much the $420 (with eye) I estimated here a few weeks ago. Some of the gaf numbers are relatively way off (currently) but in both directions, so the total sum ends up the same.

drkohler said:

Pretty much the $420 (with eye) I estimated here a few weeks ago. Some of the gaf numbers are relatively way off (currently) but in both directions, so the total sum ends up the same.

Do you think there are chance to some massive production discount or some component to have lower price until the launch?