By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter says PS4 will sell at a small profit for Sony, GTTV

TheKingofRedLions said:
is that possible?

It is entirely possible!  I have never understood why everyone thought this would cost anymore.  

$50 CPU

$150 GPU

$50 RAM

$50 HDD

$100 Everything else.

Plus Sony is very good at distribution.  It's simple people!

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Sensei said:
Then either MS is going for huge profits for Xbone (considering it is supposedly inferior to PS4), or KinectBone is REALLY expensive and hi tech.

dont take this as 100% true, but i got this from the thread that talked about the X1's development problems. from what i understood is that the X1 uses a bigger APU than the PS4 and that basically is more expensive. so even though PS4 is stronger the APU in the X1 is costing more, and in a way balancing out the DDR5 cost memory in the PS4 add to that kinect and the X1 package could be much more expensive to make than the PS4. 

Exactly.

I thought Sony said it was going to sell at a small loss? Maybe not...but a profit does seem unlikely for me. If the Wii U can't make one, I doubt the PS4 can.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

pachter is full of shit like always. PS4 will sell at a small lost but not a ps3 situation again

TheJimbo1234 said:
binary solo said:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1zpcu1/e3-2013-e3-2013--pachter-interview--stream-

I watched the interview yesterday and can't be bothered going through it again for the exact numbers. But he says their [virtual?] tear down puts manufacturing at about $325, add other costs to get the units to stores, and the marketing expenses I gues that might put the cost of PS4 up by about $25. Pachter thinks about $375 wholesale, with the retailer getting a $24 margin.

I know Pachter's predictions are often terrible, but I think his technical contacts making these estimates must be reasonably good at what they do. So I'm picking that this is a reasonable estimate. At worst his margin for errorprobably puts PS4 at break even for Sony. Which is still a really good starting point.

I haven't seen any teardown estimates for Xbone, but I'm picking Xbone must be making a small profit too, unless Kinect is a helluva expensive piece of kit.

Anyway, this bodes very well for Sony, and it means Sony will be in a position to drop the price any time after the first year on market and remain profitable per unit. Either to stay within a certain price diferential with Wii U, or to remain cheaper than Xbone, or to just drop the price on a pre-determined pricing schedule.

Sony is a greedy, evil corporation, we must not lose sight of that fact. But they are doing a damned good job of pretending to be our friend.

Sorry I am still an embed noob.

The hell?! Tin hat time already?

I find it to be a good default setting when it comes to any corporation, even moreso when it's a multinational. That way you're not surprised when they decide to shit on you. Sony has made many attempts to take a dump on consumers, they will again at some time in the future. Right now, the know they need the short attention span consumer to see Sony as their best friend. When it's profitable to be dismissive of conumer sentiment their attitude will change, kinda like Microsoft's attitude to the consumer with Xbone at the moment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Omgosh, the PS4 will now bleed money because Pachter jinxed it. He is an evil analyst I tell ya~

I expect it to break even at launch, no losses this time

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Vinniegambini said:
bananaking21 said:
Vinniegambini said:
Small loss - http://gengame.net/2013/05/sony-ps4-will-not-sell-at-a-major-loss-like-its-predecessor/

that article is pretty old, it published on may 9th

This was at Sony's earning call. They know their profit margins. I will take that over Patcher's word.

Yeah but you don't know what the price they are talking about here. When they made that statement the pricepoint they were planning might have been $349, in which case they would be taking a small loss.

I don't think Sony expected MS to release at $499. And i think Sony planned on releasing at lower. Having a look at what actually is inside the PS4 the pricepoints are believable. Theres nothing truly amazingly powerfull in either the PS4 or Xbone.  2 year old mid ranged GPU's in a cost effective APU setup. In fact by the time they release the tech will be 3 years old. And they cpu cores are manufactured from the ground up to be cheap.

People don't seem to get that.

Edit: Theres also the chance that Sony were planning on releasing the PS4 with the eye bundled. Which seemed like the case at the launch event. It looks like they back peddled from that decision. That would have also been a major factor when considering the price.

At the end of the day this is all speculation. But as someone who follows tech related stuff and understands more or less the value of PC parts, saying that the PS4 is actually breaking even or making a small profit is believable.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

doesn't this also depends on where the console is sold?
€399 = 50.226,7 Yen
$399 = 37.641,6 Yen
£349 = 51.713,1 Yen
So the profit will depend on where the console is sold.

Nope, they are probably breaking even or making a loss.
I think I read somewhere that the Xbox One will be profitable from the start.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54