By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eiji Aonuma: Looking to Capture the Feeling of Skyrim with New Zelda

Tagged games:

Slimebeast said:
DanneSandin said:
Slimebeast said:

A total victory for Elder Scrolls as the king of RPGs.

The Witcher goes open world
The Dragon Age guys praise Skyrim and go open world
The Dark Souls guys praise Elder Scrolls and take an open world approach
The Dragon's Dogma guys praising and making a Japanese Elder Scrolls

...and now even the Zelda guys realize they want to learn from the master!

They only need to learn from Skyrim because they've lost touch with their roots. The original Zelda was the mother AND father of all open world games; Nintendo just needs to remember that. I'm glad they're looking at other games if that will enhance the Zelda experience.

Yeah I know.

Zelda should go back to true open worlds. Not become Elder Scrolls, because Elder Scrolls is not only an open world game, it's an RPG simulation.

Zelda doesn't need to become a simulation and lose it's identity by adding tons of character features, statistics, items and NPCs who are aware of your presence. They only need to do like CD Project does with The Witcher 3, get rid of the linearity in the over-world.

I think you nail it with this comment. Get the feeling of Skyrim, and none of its mechanics.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Well, I'd rather see them influenced by Gothic, but I guess TES is not so bad either (hope he mentioned Skyrim just as reference for modern gamers, and actual influence comes more from Morrowind).

as long as they add the zelda flavor to the open world then i will be happy. I enjoyed skyrim, but the blandness was overwhelming at times.

Carl2291 said:
Capture the feeling of Skyrim?

Huge hype, only to be followed by disappointment and a huge sack of bugs.

I thought the same, but Nintendo games hardly have any glitches/bugs without searching for it. Also, this means more freedom, more exploration, more open world, back to the roots baby, this is what Zelda needs to be in the mainstream again. Miyamoto and Aonouma said they wanted to make the series more mainstream again.

mii-gamer said:
as long as they add the zelda flavor to the open world then i will be happy. I enjoyed skyrim, but the blandness was overwhelming at times.

This is exactly how I always felt about Skyrim. its the reason why I always thought that most Zelda games were better then it, even games like skyward sword, despite all its faults, still had a lot more excitment and personality then skyrim ever had. imo

Around the Network

Greatest post-E3 news I've heard so far.

Skyrim quickly climbed to my "favorite games of all time" list. Hopefully this new Zelda game will do the same.

Please no.

Seems fine. While i have all of zero interest for WRPGs (mostly due to stiflingly obtuse gameplay), i respect them for their ability to create worlds of great scope, which is something Zelda should full well be doing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Both Skyrim and Zelda could learn a lot from each other. I'm excited.

I like the idea of open-world, large-scale, western styled Zelda. He should know this is what we want, and Zelda is much bigger in the west than in Japan. And by "we" I mean the largest section of Zelda fans, as based on the great sales of OoT and TP.