By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th to 8th gen is the smallest jump in graphics I have seen. Yep I will be the bad guy and say it.

DialgaMarine said:
Slimebeast said:

Tell me this isn't a huge generational leap:

Very noticable difference, but you could have at least used Uncharted 3. 

Calling total bullshit on those Uncharted 2 screenshots, I was playing the game today actually and it looks nothing like the blurfest that you posted. Like, seriously, not even close. Someone clearly edited that screenshot to make it look that bad.

Around the Network

Compare them side by side on a +40 inch 1080p television like most people have in their living rooms.

You WILL see a difference, especially when both games are in motion.

AnonGentleman said:
Compare them side by side on a +40 inch 1080p television like most people have in their living rooms.

Actually most people are going to have about 720 and really, the OP is right. Graphics might look a bit crisper but outside of animation and physics, which truthfully the average gamer isn't really going to notice, the graphical jump isn't that superb. But really that has been the case since the start of the previous generation as graphics themselves have reached a point where gamers and developers know they can't get past the maniquin/plastic look on realistic characters and graphically the only thing developers can do is create gorgeous set pieces and just make it animate cleaner then previously.

But yeah, people claiming the next gen graphics are more revolutionary then any of the previous generations (save the PS2/GC/Xbox era jump to the PS3/360 era levels are kidding and sipping on the industry Kool-aide rather then take in the reality of the situation. Graphically gaming is peaking with its near movie quality effects, expecting more is insane.

CGI-Quality said:

They look like vid caps, which are unrealistic in a screenshot comparison.

Try this:

A better comparison, but the next gen pics still do have clear advantages. This gen was just so great when it came to visuals, that the graphical upgrade isn't as pronounced as gens prior, but I'm cofident that end-of-8th-gen games will stomp all over titles like Uncharted 3.

A linear singleplayer game to an open world MMO hardly seems like a fair comparison in the first place. Could have at least used multiplayer screens of Uncharted 3 to help balance it out.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

You are forgetting how bad launch titles can look. Check out these ones from the PS3, they don't look that much better than PS2. But later on in the generation the graphics improved amazingly.

PS3 Launch

Now here we have some games from later on in the generation

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
AnonGentleman said:

Actually most people are going to have about 720 and really, the OP is right. Graphics might look a bit crisper but outside of animation and physics, which truthfully the average gamer isn't really going to notice, the graphical jump isn't that superb. But really that has been the case since the start of the previous generation as graphics themselves have reached a point where gamers and developers know they can't get past the maniquin/plastic look on realistic characters and graphically the only thing developers can do is create gorgeous set pieces and just make it animate cleaner then previously.

But yeah, people claiming the next gen graphics are more revolutionary then any of the previous generations (save the PS2/GC/Xbox era jump to the PS3/360 era levels are kidding and sipping on the industry Kool-aide rather then take in the reality of the situation. Graphically gaming is peaking with its near movie quality effects, expecting more is insane.

If you have played/seen Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, Skyrim with Mods, etc. ON PC you would know what I am talking about.

Seeing these games in real life, on a 21" monitor running at 60 FPS and u just go wow compared to what the current consoles are outputing, next gen consolse will be able to what a high end computer in 2011 could do no problem.

And ur forgetting that console games always end up looking better as time goes on. Look at what OP has posted, games +4 years in the lifecycle against launch titles coming 0 years into the cycle.

These poor screen caps and 1 FPS bullshots are indicative of nothing, you really need to see the difference in person. Nobody buying the PS4 or Xbox One is really going to have 720p televisions btw, 1080p is essentially the standard for the market they are targetting.

Wagram said:

It will probably be even lower next generation as well. Technology was rapidly advancing before and it's not doing so much right now due to lack of significant breakthroughs. I expect better tech within the games themselves though like better AI, mechanics, gimmicks, fps, textures... etc etc

Definately on the processor side of things, the new hasswell processors give you 10% better performance (50% on graphics, but the bar was low).  I remember when each processor generation was a huge leap giving you multiple times the power.

Graphics performance will take a few more years to plateau.  Already the hasswell chips are comparable to mid level AMD cards, two more cycles and they will be on par with this gen of conoles.  NVIDIA should have a SoC with graphics comparable to this gen of consoles by 2015 so tablets will have caught up.  There is not much more room to grow, the big size leaps are done (22nm to 16nm is a small shift), further size leaps are more about power efficiency than huge gains in performance.

GPUs will be marginally more powerful than today's titan with time, but they are reaching some hard physical limits right now.  Like the multi core cpu's it may be that multiple GPU designs take over, but agian this is a game of diminishing returns.

All in all next gen will have an even smaller leap in graphics.

anybody that a has a powerful pc knows the difference from current-gen to nextgen at a minimum, 720p or sub hd, jaggies, bad frame rate frame are becoming a norm for the best looking console game and its something you can't see in crappy gifs and low quality screens, the difference will be huge once you play them on a 40 inch+, 1080p, great AA and 60fps is would make a huge difference for me at the moment most current gen games are becoming ugly, even the an open world on nextgenalready  looks much better then GOD of war 3, uncharted 3 or halo 4 and thats saying a lot to me.

ninjablade said:

anybody that a has a powerful pc knows the difference from current-gen to nextgen at a minimum, 720p or sub hd, jaggies, bad frame rate frame are becoming a norm for the best looking console game and its something you can't see in crappy gifs and low quality screens, the difference will be huge once you play them on a 40 inch+, 1080p, great AA and 60fps is would make a huge difference for me at the moment most current gen games are becoming ugly, even the an open world on nextgenalready  looks much better then GOD of war 3, uncharted 3 or halo 4 and thats saying a lot to me.

You are very strange. I remember playing games back on the snes in no way did I ever think this was the pinnacle of graphics in game, I always knew they could get better, but at the same time just because I knew they could get better doesn't mean I thought the current games were ugly. The way you make it sound is either you had no knowledge that the graphics could have improved or you have some preconceived notion of what games should look like and until it reaches there everything else is unacceptable. A very strange way of thinking.

Now as I explained about the  OP before it is not that there is no improvement in graphics, it is just the smallest leap we have seen compared to previous gens (compared to previous gens being the important part).

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:
ninjablade said:

You are very strange. I remember playing games back on the snes in no way did I ever think this was the pinnacle of graphics in game, I always knew they could get better, but at the same time just because I knew they could get better doesn't mean I thought the current games were ugly. The way you make it sound is either you had no knowledge that the graphics could have improved or you have some preconceived notion of what games should look like and until it reaches there everything else is unacceptable. A very strange way of thinking.

Now as I explained about the  OP before it is not that there is no improvement in graphics, it is just the smallest leap we have seen compared to previous gens (compared to previous gens being the important part).

yes currentgen games are ugly i'm talking about the majority,  not he best looking games, crysis 2, batman AA and batman AC are not great lookiung games on consoles.