By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 is cheaper than PS1 and PS2 (inflation adjusted)

on top of that microsoft has to use american dollars and sony uses the yen :/

Around the Network

Except, of course, the new annual fee for online.

TheLastStarFighter said:

I'll happilly pay for PS+! Its the best service ever!

Turkish said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

I don't currently subscribe, but I had a look and it just seems stupid. In what way is it economical to give you all these games? I thought that you only got them for the month, but no, they just give you loads of free games!

the2real4mafol said:
Xbox 360 started at $399, no wonder it did so well against PS3

$399 with no hard drive. You had to buy a $60 memory card ontop of that.

----

Anyway, I was really surprised that they plan to sell the PS4 so cheap. I mean PS3's still cost $250 or so, and when you look at inflation, yes the PS4 is the cheapest home console Sony has ever sold. I really think the PS3/360 will get price cuts next year, but I dunno about this year. Sony announced a GTAV bundle for $299, which is indicative of no price cut on the PS3.

I think Sony priced the PS4 so low, to kill off the PS3 faster and have people move on quickly. PS3 was hurt by PS2 selling 50 million units after it's termination, Sony doesn't want that for their PS4.

Wii U is the most expensive Nintendo LOL.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Turkish said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

I don't currently subscribe, but I had a look and it just seems stupid. In what way is it economical to give you all these games? I thought that you only got them for the month, but no, they just give you loads of free games!

lol

Michael-5 said:
the2real4mafol said:

----

Anyway, I was really surprised that they plan to sell the PS4 so cheap. I mean PS3's still cost $250 or so, and when you look at inflation, yes the PS4 is the cheapest home console Sony has ever sold. I really think the PS3/360 will get price cuts next year, but I dunno about this year. Sony announced a GTAV bundle for $299, which is indicative of no price cut on the PS3.

I think Sony priced the PS4 so low, to kill off the PS3 faster and have people move on quickly. PS3 was hurt by PS2 selling 50 million units after it's termination, Sony doesn't want that for their PS4.

Sony definitely don't intend to kill the PS3, but they might encourage people to move on in major markets. The 12GB that they inexplicably don't sell in America is an example of that. Here in the UK, I have seen it being sold for ~£150 which is only slightly more expensive than the 4GB 360 and more importantly less than HALF the price of the PS4 when it comes out (£350).

Sony is going to keep selling the PS3 for a long time, especially in "less mature markets". I am sure a little part of them wants to end the gen as the number 1 seller, which is far from impossible. You also have to remember that Sony will probably be making more a profit on each PS3 sold than a launch PS4

Also and most importantly, a year with Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, Beyond and GT 6 as exclusives is remarkable {there are probably others}, there is still a lot to come from the PS3.

The PS4 is priced so low because it doesn't come with a Kinect. They need to get off to a fast start this generation, they don't want to have to play catch up as they did with the PS3 for all those years

inflation has nothing to do with anything really. 300 quid in 2000 was more affordable than what 350 is now.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Munkeh111 said:
Michael-5 said:
the2real4mafol said:

----

Sony definitely don't intend to kill the PS3, but they might encourage people to move on in major markets. The 12GB that they inexplicably don't sell in America is an example of that. Here in the UK, I have seen it being sold for ~£150 which is only slightly more expensive than the 4GB 360 and more importantly less than HALF the price of the PS4 when it comes out (£350).

Sony is going to keep selling the PS3 for a long time, especially in "less mature markets". I am sure a little part of them wants to end the gen as the number 1 seller, which is far from impossible. You also have to remember that Sony will probably be making more a profit on each PS3 sold than a launch PS4

Also and most importantly, a year with Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, Beyond and GT 6 as exclusives is remarkable {there are probably others}, there is still a lot to come from the PS3. <--- Tales of Xillia, Disgaea D2, Time and Eternity, etc.

The PS4 is priced so low because it doesn't come with a Kinect. They need to get off to a fast start this generation, they don't want to have to play catch up as they did with the PS3 for all those years

I wish we got the 12GB PS3, but isn't that a bit little for the PS3? I mean when I had a PS3, most of my games required an install. Still I'm hoping for a discount PS3 come black friday, last year they sold 160GB models for $200.

Yes, I agree with you. Kill is a strong world, and PS3 will sell well in countries like Brazil, which tax game consoles heavily. It should still do okay in larger markets, but with PS4 priced so low, I can see PS3 sales taking a huge dive, and PS4 sales flying sky high.

PS4 not coming with Kinect is huge! Going to help Sony a lot. Also while PS3 makes more profit per console sold, the PS3 market is saturated with used games, and late console buyers typically own less game to begin with. Sony will make a lot more money off every PS4 sold then PS3 since every game is still $60, and the used game market needs time to grow.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Also and most importantly, a year with Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, Beyond and GT 6 as exclusives is remarkable {there are probably others}, there is still a lot to come from the PS3. <--- Tales of Xillia, Disgaea D2, Time and Eternity, etc.

I wish we got the 12GB PS3, but isn't that a bit little for the PS3? I mean when I had a PS3, most of my games required an install. Still I'm hoping for a discount PS3 come black friday, last year they sold 160GB models for $200.

Yes, I agree with you. Kill is a strong world, and PS3 will sell well in countries like Brazil, which tax game consoles heavily. It should still do okay in larger markets, but with PS4 priced so low, I can see PS3 sales taking a huge dive, and PS4 sales flying sky high.

PS4 not coming with Kinect is huge! Going to help Sony a lot. Also while PS3 makes more profit per console sold, the PS3 market is saturated with used games, and late console buyers typically own less game to begin with. Sony will make a lot more money off every PS4 sold then PS3 since every game is still $60, and the used game market needs time to grow.

Yeah, I am not convinced about the 12GB one, it seems like it will be a pain to manage.

Well the point is they don't make as much money on new sales, but they make money of the console directly. There is no reason to stop supporting it