By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii U on its way to becoming the best local multiplayer console ever?

Tagged games:

I love online multiplayer. It lets me play with my buddies in New York, in Florida, all over the world.

But I have a weakness for local multiplayer. Playing with friends in the same room is so much more fun and alive. That's one of the reasons I love Nintendo's gaming philosophy.

Anyway, back to the point: after this most recent Nintendo Direct, it looks like Wii U is on the fast track to becoming one of the best (if not THE best) local multiplayer consoles ever.

• New Super Mario Bros. U (four players)
  • Mario Kart 8 (four players)
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U (four players)
  • The Wonderful 101 (five players)
  • Super Mario 3D World (four players)
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (five players)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Jungle Freeze (two players)
  • Nintendo Land (five players)

Plus more to come.

What do you think?

Around the Network

The wii u in general seems to be much more focused on local compared to online multiplayer. The list of games from their 1st party proves that. The other two seem to be going the route of online multiplayer and mmo for next gen. There is local, but wii u seems more focused on it. So ya, it can have the best local with its games.

Nintendo is heavily promoting Miiverse in all of these games. I would say the Wii U is certainly the best console to get for local multiplayer but it will have a strong online service as well!

That's a given, but what about DKCR? or SLU? They are still not online co op enabled? That's archaic and backwards.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Bayonetta 2 is also 2 player.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Maybe, to be honest with all the online games in the market, there still a pretty high demand for local play. Nintendo is getting deeper in online play though. I really like community feature in Mario Kart 7 and hope they add to it.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Mr Khan said:
Bayonetta 2 is also 2 player.

Oh cool, I didn't realize that. Is it in the campaign or is it a separate mode?

BasilZero said:
I suppose so but I'm sure more people are excited and looking forward to more online multiplayer (I am too).

Did they say that Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 will be online multiplayer? Would be odd for them to make it only local....

Mario Kart 8 will have online multiplayer. I'm not sure about Mario 3D World. I hope it does.