By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 - My thoughts on Microsoft & Sony

Now that we've had both big conferences and there's been demo's and footage, here are my main thoughts based on the XBox One & PS4:

Microsoft:

Opened with MGSV trailer...nice for MS that they have stopped PS4 getting exclusive, but would have rather seen XBOne footage. Ryse looks okay, Killer Instinct is meh and Sunset Overdrive is meh. Forza 5 as expected, although nothing NextGen defining. Quantum Break visually is brilliant, but no actual gameplay yet...why? Dead Rising, does anyone care? Black Tusk game and Halo game to be expected...but no footage.  Titanfall is probably XBOne's best show.  Game looks good fun, but again doesn't really show NextGen to me.  To top it all off, the price is a shocker for me.....$499 US and £429 UK, wow. They must be paying a fortune for all these faulty ESDRAM chips right enough.

Sony:

Disappointed with the lack of exclusives.  No real time for the previously announced games (Killzone:SF, inFamous SS, Knack & DriveClub) and nothing really new apart from a selection of small Indy games.  The large selection of multiplatform games on show was okay, but was impressed that all of the gameplay was from a PS4.  Destiny looks great though.  Big plus was the no DRM and no need for Internet and the price was great.  Undercutting the XBOne by $100/£80....thats huge.  Although no official date yet....just holiday season...that could be anytime up to January I think.

Overall thoughts:

Over the course of the last few days, we have hardly seen any actual gameplay footage from the XBOne which is disappointing.  It's the opposite for the PS4, there has been loads of actual gameplay footage.  New Killzone and inFamous footage as well as UbiSoft using PS4's for their demo's.  I think on the face of it, game-wise, Microsoft came off better, but as an overall conference, Sony wins it due to the price and noDRM etc.

What for the future:

I think Microsoft need some major luck here.  If Sony release the PS4 at the exact same time as the XBOne, then I think most people will pick up the PS4.  It's cheaper, and going by what's been shown, will have the better Day One game selection.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

Mine on MS:

Funniest moment : Kojima tries to read english and outputs unrivaled engrish - perfect!
Biggest surprise: MGSV and the quality of it, though I thought first he'd be the protagonist of RDR2.
Best game: Dead Rising 3 looked funny as hell to me.
Best graphics: Hard to say - Ryse looked good, Titanfall also, not to forget Battlefield 4. I go for Titanfall
Worst game: "The one with the spraying" Don't remember the name...
Worst graphics: hmm, hard to tell. All looked quite good and next-gen to me. That Panzer Dragoon-thingy didn't impress me.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

OFF TOPIC:
Just looking at your E3 2013 predictions.... LOL LOL LOL.

WRONG: XBox One priced at $349, PS4 priced at $399
WRONG: Mirrors Edge 2 timed exclusive for XBox One
WRONG: MGS5 exclusive PS4
WRONG: Uncharted 4 announced for PS4 in 2014
WRONG: XBox One releases in NA in November 2013, in EU in March 2014 and not in JP
CORRECT: The Last Guardian a no show again, but big event at TGS
DEBATABLE: Best conference by a country mile - Sony
WRONG: Game of E3 - inFamous Second Son

Those are some of the worst predictions I've ever seen

naimisharanya said:

OFF TOPIC:

WRONG: XBox One releases in NA in November 2013, in EU in March 2014 and not in JP

I would say the first prediction is the only bad one, the others are perfectly reasonable

Anyway, I thought they both did good press conferences. Sony has only "won" because of the price and used games thing. Microsoft really should have emphasised the advantages of their DRM (no disc!) rather than just imply them with the quick switching between games.

I think they both showed good games and Microsoft probably had the edge on exclusives, though Sony could have won if they had spent more time on their previously announced big 3 (and Knack) rather than promising gameplay footage to come later.

Really, EA won E3

naimisharanya said:

OFF TOPIC:

Yeah got quite a few wrong....although you can't say that inFamous isn't the Game of E3....it's not finished yet.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
davygee said:
naimisharanya said:

OFF TOPIC:

Yeah got quite a few wrong....although you can't say that inFamous isn't the Game of E3....it's not finished yet.

After reading article after article the last 2 days I can say with a large amount of certainty that it won't be.