By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft responds to Xbox One backlash - "This isn't a sprint"

pitzy272 said:
Am i the only the only person who somewhat agrees w/ the concept behind DRM? I don't necessarily agree with MS's policies here, but I do have a dislike for used games (and for the crime of Gamestop selling used games for $5 less than their brand new price and pocketing full profit) b/c I believe in supporting the developers.

I guess I am happy with Sony's stance, but I just wishes they would made a caveat statement after their announcement (e.g. "no DRM...but...bc buying games used gives no money back to the developers, we do ask for gamer integrity in buying games new to support production towards future games)

I'm not against used games  to me what is wrong is the model and that is selling them along side new and giving used preference ,  do I see used cars in  new car showrooms or second hand product sold in  large department stores next to new stock and staff pushing customers towards the used product .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

@Lister of Smeg : "Sony fans have been doing 180s with their opinion. They hate it til its on PS4 and its seen as a good thing. Such as paying for MP portions of games. MS does it, its bad for gamers. Sony does it and its the greatest thing for gamers ever."

I don't think anyone in their right minds thinks this is awesome or good for gaming. It sucks, plain and simple, thank you xbots. To be fair $50 wasn't much at all to play with friends and some extraordinary exclusives to boot!

However, I do think there is great contrast in what MS did from the "get go" to what Sony is doing. Much like MS DRM that is built into the system, the social capabilities of the PS4 are built in to the core OS. I believe effectively Sony made a miss-step by integrating the online experience with social media aspects that aren't even matched on the X1. (Could get to that specific point later). Which means that they are actually providing a service for online gaming by default whether you want it or not, much like the DRM system on the X1. I believe this is why they are charging specifically for online. Not because of Gakai, or some other multimedia or "improved OL experience". It is specifically because of the social services that are inherit on the PS4 with online gaming, and that is what they deem worthy of a fee because it requires some backend support.

Alternatively, they should of thought about this more thoroughly and enabled a basic online gaming experience that doesn't utilize these extra features that will become more apparent as we get closer to release. I for one do not think I am really interested at all in their social media offerings, no matter how "great" because I loather most social networking sites and do not want my real name associated with my gamer profile. Additionally, I am already currently a PS+ member and don't like that they are charging for online play even with all the other benefits that make it more than worth the cost of purchase.

That being said while PS+ is great on its own I am not pleased that Sony is making it mandatory for online. However, the cost of PS+ with out online play is worth way more than the cost. So while I don't defend the change at all the advantages of PS+ ownership will make any former XBL subscriber more than happy with its offerings.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

You heard the man. If you don't like what they're doing, don't buy the system. I sure as hell won't be touching the thing.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Prior to E3 I was a ardent xbox supporter. Now im struggling on deciding who will receive my next gen dollars.
Comparing what has been announced to the leaked 2012 roadmap, microsoft seems to have proven the leak accurate. This brings me to my point: Fortaleza

MS seems to be overly confident and the "sprint" statement indicates to me that they are willing to take the initial beating as they may have an ace up their sleeves with Fortaleza and Illumiroom.
Despite all the negative aspects of the xbone, it has me hopeful that something new and unique will be coming soon. What are your opinions! Will fortaleza ever see the light of day.?