By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Online DRM "Up To Publishers"

This is exactly how it is for PS3. If PS4 owners don't want to encourage this crap to keep happening they should boycott publishers that do this kind of stuff as much as possible. Hopefully (though I doubt it) Xbox One sales are hurt severely by all the DRM stuff and the whole industry takes a big step back from this stuff.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
That's very disappointing. They made it sound like all used games will be allowed at the E3 conference so things won't be so perfect for the PS4 unfortunately. I'm actually quite angry with that cause its almost as if they lied to us.

All used games will be allowed.  From what was said, nothing was a lie.

What they said at the conferece was (for disc based games):

* Trade in games at retail
* Sell it to another person
* Lend it to a friend
* Or keep it forever

They also said that there will be no 24-hour online check, so that you games will never be disabled if you do not check in.

From E3:

"PS4 won't require you to check-in online periodically. And it won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours."

"In addition, PlayStation 4 disc-based games don't need to be connected online to play. Or for any type of authentication."

Obviously to play online, you will have to connect online. 

Xenostar said:

No they not, all those things you described are done for free through microsofts system publisher just has to tick some boxes, for publishers to do any of those things on PS4 it would be of great cost to themselves to implement. 

That's not how MS described it. For example, to enforce used game restrictions, the publisher has to negotiate with retailers and set up fees and whatever. It's not as easy as toggling a few boxes. Either way the DRM is still there if any 3rd party publisher wants it. This is good news for the Xbone in my book. All I will say in this thread.

So the rumors we true afterall.

J_Allard said:

I'm aware they stated in February that it was up to publishers. I am one of the few people here who has been saying it would be up to the publishers. Did you not see the huge reaction Tretton's slides and comments got here and everywhere yesterday? Or the many threads here leading up to the conference and the posts right after? People made the assumption that this E3 announcement meant PS4 would have no DRM on it no matter what game you buy. Because that's the way they presented it. Like I said, misleading and basically lying.

I am well aware Xbone has built-in system wide DRM. The 24 hour check in thing. I am more worried about what publishers can do themselves on each game. The fact that the PS4 allows them to do anything they can do on Xbone makes me feel better about DRM next generation.

Wow I need to lay down because I'm so dizzy from all the spin... But thanks, I split my gut laughing so hard

Around the Network

microsoft should be pleased sony are charging for online otherwise it was going to get ugly i suspect and sony should be thankful microsoft have made it so charging for online isn't the big headline

and nintendo must be over the moon

Above & Beyond

honestly thiers nothing sony can do to stop a developer form selling there game anyway they want. if they dont want it be sold use they can put something in that prevents it if they want there game to have a consistent internet connection they can

all sony is doing is taking the easy way out of not getting any blame put on them

theprof00 said:
Conegamer said:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-ps4-used-game-restrictions-up-to-publishers

Sony has confirmed that the digital rights management of PlayStation 4 software will be up to third-party publishers. Speaking on GTTV, Sony's Jack Tretton stated, "The DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers."

A bit of a blow, no? Looks like things aren't quite so clean-cut as we thought.

Eh, how is Sony supposed to do anything about that?

If Ea wants to ship a code with a game and say, "you can't plya multiplayer without this code or an online pass", sony really can't really say no without reprogramming the game lol. All a company needs to exert DRM on the user is an internet connection and lines of code.

THIS... the only way sony could do to prevent things like this is to force developers to connect their games to PSN isntead of the freadom they have today to connect to their own servers... if we want fredom to us gamers, is only fair that sony give the developers/publishers some freadom too...

the main thing is... it will not require 24H check in... so the DRM 3rd parties may implement is not intrusive between us and the console we own...

stop treating developers and publishers like the enemy... its their work, they are trying to sell... their work, their rules if you want to enjoy their work, you should accept the rules. if you don't like the rules, don't buy it. hit them where it hurts... but as a platform holder Sony is doing the right thing here... we have to see the two sides of this coin...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sales2099 said:
So basically anything EA and Activision makes

What Activision game on consoles uses online passes or the like? 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

crissindahouse said:
i wonder if sony will still have an online pass after their conference yesterday. since next gen will be almost all about online that would be already 10 bucks per used games sony would ask for.

since sony is using now PS+ to create revenue in the PSN, it would not make sense to pay twice to play online... MS never did the online pass because they had live gold to deal with that... so i guess PS3 games will still have online pass like always and PS4 will not...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4