By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071

PSN+ is a great value, assuming you play the games of the month, but I'm wondering right now how that's going to work given that PS3 games won't play on PS4 hardware (PSN games too since they're based on the same architecture).

So either Sony has free PS4 games available to subscribers on day 1 (seems unlikely) or you're going to be playing your free PSN+ games on your old PS3 and your PSV, assuming you have either.

I've never kept my PSN+ consistent because frankly, I just don't play enough games to go through the free ones given the size of my back catalog of games. I generally only found myself doing 3 month subscriptions when I wanted to take advantage of the PSN+ discounts, which of course are another big bonus/value to the service that is often overlooked.

Around the Network

I say, that if I didn't already pay up front for PSN+ until 2015... I prolly would never consider getting a PS4 now... it even hurts myself that I still want one, even though Sony goes the way of ripping off its customers.

That sucks I didn't see that but I plan on getting PS+ anyway for the free games so no big deal for me.

I know it is disappointing; but they have to earn the money from somewhere; the beautiful console is $400 for the love of God; and does not have any kind of restriction. For me it is worth it.

And I really dont need to worry about that since my subscription ends by 2015. :)

Even though I have a Plus membership already and I stay subscribed because I absolutely love the value Plus gives you as a consumer, this was a very disappointing move from Sony. It was even more disappointing because they stealth trolled everyone while explaining how they won't have DRM and didn't even mention this out loud for everyone to pick up on. At the very least they could have given a little statement as to why payment for regular MP is now required.

While all of that being said, for me just the instant game collection alone has validated this price for a long time now and Plus expands across PS4/PS3/Vita, so the value increased even more. I have a hunch that with all the cloud power they are adding, they needed to make sure more people took up Plus to be able to maintain servers.

Overall though, I have been paying for Live and Plus and I will continue on with Plus next gen given it definitely provides a lot of value outside just MP. At the very least it's not just a charge for slapped over free MP and there's a fair trade off in terms of free games and other services. So I appreciate that from Sony.

Around the Network

It doesn't matter to me because I already pay for PS Plus.

Disappointing news, thankfully I do all of my online gaming on the PC so this won't effect me. Still it was sneaky of Sony to sneak this in during the euphoric if $399, DRM-Free and Used game friendly announcements.

Pristine20 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Terrible decision by sony. The decision to get a PS4 which seemed so easy now seems very difficult. Can't buy something that will lock my game's component unless I pay every year, regardless of what I get in return because we already pay for the game in the first place.

Cant have everything. Money is needed to maintain the servers and how do you think they could pull off that price tag? You'd rather go to the likes of steam and X1 where you dlicense the games you buy? The servers still belong to sony not you and it's still reasonable for them to charge you to use them.

Honestly, I personally would have preferrred $599 with free online (because it truly is the better value long term) but we saw what was the better strategy with the ps3 and 360 launch. Sony just wised up.

But third party games have nothing to do with sony. And yes, steam is definitely a good option.

Servers costing money....is a nothingness. The low price tag I don't care.

They should have kept an option. A very basic option of free multiplayer.

greenmedic88 said:
PSN+ is a great value, assuming you play the games of the month, but I'm wondering right now how that's going to work given that PS3 games won't play on PS4 hardware (PSN games too since they're based on the same architecture).

So either Sony has free PS4 games available to subscribers on day 1 (seems unlikely) or you're going to be playing your free PSN+ games on your old PS3 and your PSV, assuming you have either.

I've never kept my PSN+ consistent because frankly, I just don't play enough games to go through the free ones given the size of my back catalog of games. I generally only found myself doing 3 month subscriptions when I wanted to take advantage of the PSN+ discounts, which of course are another big bonus/value to the service that is often overlooked.

They're giving drive club for free on day one on consoles if you have PS Plus. I think that's what I saw anyway. They'll follow on with some of those indie games you saw by giving them for free. I imagine it'll just be PS4 games and maybe later when Gaikai comes along, they may give PS3 games again on Gaikai.

I'm ok with this. Millions of Halo/Call Of Duty/Battlefield fans are ok with it on 360 too so I doubt many will complain. Plus, its $100 cheaper.

PS4 + PS+ Is still cheaper than Xbox One alone...