By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071

Well Microsoft and Sony have made it easy for me this generation. Having all consoles last generation, and not having any new ones yet, I think I'm going to make the decision to only PC/Handheld game and possibly get a Wii U once more Nintendo games are released on it. I really don't mind paying for such a service if I were to use it consistently, and this incrementalism doesn't fit well with my principles as a consumer. I'd rather buy more PC games or upgrade hardware.

Around the Network

As long as online play is way better than it was on PS3, paying to play doesn't bother me.

No,it is 100 dollars much cheaper, no DRM, no online requirement,besides i am already a plus member and the subs (PS3, vita, PS4) work for the 3 consoles.

I didn't buy the PS3 for free online multiplayer but I know that was a big sell for a lot of consumers. Not quite ridiculous as cross game chat being a "sell" for paid XBLG though.

But PSN+ has always given much, much more than XBLG since SCE had to use the carrot approach to get anyone to subscribe. As it's been said plenty of times, MS basically just takes away features if you're not a paid subscriber, making the XB360 a fairly limited platform by comparison.

So now PSN standard takes away the most basic of features in online play, while PSN+ still gives a lot of extras in the form of free access to games, discounts, etc. And cross game chat. Woo.

The loss of free online sucks. It does, but for my consumer rights it's a fair fucking trade.

Also PSN Plus is really good as is, so it's not a total loss.

Around the Network

Hahaha, sorry guys, but all this "no problem for me" *now*... Well, it's nice to see how opinions can change if you don't have an option anymore :) PAYWALL!

kupomogli said:
LemonSlice said:
Honestly you guys against it because you want to save money, you know the best way to save money? PS+

I'm on PS+ and I'm still against it.  People shouldn't have to pay to play online.  PS+ is a great deal, but there are those that don't want it, and they shouldn't be forced to get it just to play a game online.  A server costs next to nothing to run and maintain in comparison to what a game with good online usually makes anyways.

Most online games are P2P, peer to peer.  Bandwidth is next to nothing in comparison to full server support. 

PS+ is a great deal and it's less of a slap in the face, but it's still bs that it's required.

This is my exact thoughts and situation on the matter.

All that said though, I do think Sony is using mandatory PS+ as a way to subsidise the cost of the box in the long run, which seems like a reasonable strategy. Plus MP seems to be the huge focus of this gen with dedicated server support for games and persistent worlds, which might be another reason for the cost.

UltimateUnknown said:

I think it makes more sense for them to give backcatalog games from Gaikai through PS+, especially after the console launches. Mainly because the games on Gaikai are going to be older PS3 games that will cost a lot less money after PS4 launches. I don't see them giving away too many full PS4 games just after PS4 launches. I am actually surprised they are even giving Drive Club away. I guess they intend to show their commitment to PS+ especially for making it a requirement for MP now.

Of course SCE wants to make cloud game streaming a part of the premium service, but my point is I seriously doubt paying $50 a year for PSN+ is going to grant subscribers carte blanche access to the entire back catalog of PS games as it becomes available. Maybe some old games, much like PSN+ currently, but I still expect to see per game licensing fees/access fees for most PS3 games. 

Pristine20 said:
Imaginedvl said:
scat398 said:
And the hypocrisy of a million Sony fans begins....

With that being said this definitely the right move for Sony. It will give them the level playing field they have desperately needed with Xbox live and pricing. Ms has been able to use live as huge leverage on the financial end to keep profits up and price low.

This is a good move by Sony just a lot of fans are going to have to eat some crow.

lol seriously :) I'm looking at the lot of replies here... Those people argued few months ago about Xbox Live and the fact that online multiplayer should be FREE not matter what.

$599 + free online or $400 + paid online. Gues which strategy was better last gen? Sony adopted the better strategy and judging by your avatar I'm pretty sure you were perfectly happy with that strategy just as you will probably be happy licensing your games

Why are you talking about strategy.  My avatar has nothing to do with the fact that many Sony loyalists were claiming they would never pay for online multiplayer, even if Sony introduced that. Now they are doing it and it is a "good strategy" and nothing seem that bad about it.

You guys are hilarious at most :)

Remember when people were criticized for defending the Xbox One's DRM?

How about we all just be honest: people are hypocrites.