By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - R4 DS statistic a hoax.

ELSPA Denies Saying 90% Of Americans Pirate DS

Most of the gaming-concerned internet (including us) ran a quote from UK's ELSPA stating that 90% of United States DS owners were pirating games using the R4. We knew it sounded crazy, and so did the ELSPA who has denied the statement. After reiterating that they would never comment on affairs outside of the UK, the company reported that it traced the false statement back to a Singapore website where it had been lifted by The Sunday Post.

However it went down, we're happy to hear that the world hasn't gone crazy after all.

ELSPA distances itself from DS piracy report
[Games Industry via Maxconsole]

So they didn't even make that comment, some site just claimed they did.

As one poster on Kotaku stated, "I'd be surprised if 90% of the U.S. DS owners even knew it was POSSIBLE to pirate DS games."

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

knew it was a hoax when i first read it

Can't say i'm surprised

But it could have been the ELSPA lying. This was someone lying about what the ELSPA said.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

...but I pirate 100% of my games on the DS!!!

Oh wait, I don't have a DS, I forgot. ;-p

90% would obviously have to be fake. I'm not sure that would be possible for ANY console to have that high of a piracy rate. There just aren't that many knowledgeable "pirates" among the masses who buy the DS.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

"Research shows that 60% of the time....it works every time."

Don't know why but this reminded me of that line =P

Anyways, it was pretty clear the number was wrong...what wasn't clear before was whether they actually believed it or not...

I suppose I am glad they don't..but then I'm not sure that it really matters.

To Each Man, Responsibility

That would be insane if 90% of the US population was pirating DS games. @_@ That'd almost be to China's standards!

90% is impossible.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

wfz said:
That would be insane if 90% of the US population was pirating DS games. @_@ That'd almost be to China's standards!

Well I think they first meant 90% of US DS owners, since 90% of the US population doesn't own a DS ;-p

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Although it's false, I could understand if the numbers were that high. I mean really, who wouldn't want to Pirate Nintendogs!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.