By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Kills Game Ownership on Xbox One

Fifaguy360 said:
didn't some guy on twitter from MS say "we hear you". so I'm curious to know what exactly he heard.

That was the Xbox PR mouthpiece, Larry Hryb, aka. Major Nelson. And what he obviously meant was that they heard the greedy publishers, not their potential customers.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

No sale now for me. If PS4 follows suit its same with that. If you're gonna impose PC style restrictions on the game I expect to pay PC prices. Given how many former console only games now play much much better on PC, we may well be at the point where home consoles are redundant.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

sales2099 said:
Only con I see is the connection every day. This could be the main problem here.

The rest are negligible/also adopted by Sony.

sources? or is this coming from where the sun don't shine?

the2real4mafol said:

You do not own the games you buy. You license them.

Discs are only used to install and then license games and do not imply ownership.

People can play games installed on your console whether you're logged in or not.

10 people can be authorised to play these games on a different Xbox One via the cloud, but not at the same time, similar to iTunes authorised devices.

Publishers decide whether you can trade in your games and may charge for this. (This is the only one Sony is doing) 

Publishers decide whether you can give a game you own to someone for free, and this only works if they have been on your friends list for 30 days.

Your account allows you to play the games you license on any console.

Your Xbox One must connect to the internet every 24 hours to keep playing games.

When playing on another Xbox One with your account, this is reduced to one hour.

Live TV, Blu-ray and DVD movies are exempt from these internet requirements.

Loaning and renting games will not be possible at launch, but Microsoft is "exploring the possibilities".

Microsoft may change these policies or discontinue them at any point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So bad. they just so desparately want control and i struggle to see how such authoritarian policies will benefit anyone 

Publishers decide whether you can trade in your games and may charge for this

I don't like the wording there. So does this mean if the publisher leaves that section blank you can't trade the game in at all?

NYCrysis said:
sales2099 said:
Only con I see is the connection every day. This could be the main problem here.

I'm pretty sure Sony already said the ability for PS4 to do this was there. Though I wonder if the negative reaction Xbox One is getting may well make them reconsider.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
NYCrysis said:
sales2099 said:

I'm pretty sure Sony already said the ability for PS4 to do this was there. Though I wonder if the negative reaction Xbox One is getting may well make them reconsider.

No they haven't confirmed anything except they will let publishers do what they want which we don't even know what it means. Yet somehow it's truthfact for that guy.

Surely if publishers can do what they want, that kind of suggests the ability is there in PS4?

NYCrysis said:
MikeRox said:
NYCrysis said:
sales2099 said:

No they haven't confirmed anything except they will let publishers do what they want which we don't even know what it means. Yet somehow it's truthfact for that guy.

Do you honestly think publishers are not going to use this? Sony saying they are leaving it up to them is like leaving a drug addict ina room with drugs.

Sony PR:

"Hey guy we are going to leave these drugs here, but it wil be up to the drug addict if he wants to use them or not"

Also people look over the fact that Sony has to set the structure up in their system. So they are indirectly responsible.

Again he claimed that Sony is adopting most things M$ is which is total bs. We still don't know what they are doing yet he acts like it's truthfact. Here is the difference btwn what M$ is doing and what Sony is doing. One is allowing publishers to opt out of THEIR DRM while the other (Sony) is allowing publishers who are fighting for drm to have it.

"In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Yeesh! As a future college student loaning games is a must. This is total BS if you can't freaking share games.