By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: State of Decay second best day one sales in XBLA history

Undead Labs

We have sold more than a quarter million copies since we released the game two days ago. State of Decay has smashed all kinds of records. The only game that ever sold more on XBLA this fast was Minecraft…an already hugely popular game.

There just aren’t the words to describe the feeling.

This was you. We did not have an ad budget. We didn’t have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers. All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity. This train got rolling because you got out and pushed.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/06/news/breaking-records/

Around the Network

132,000... Nice! Very impressive for a XBLA title. How people think this won't continue into next-gen is beyond me...

How much is it someone? 1600msp? I have a 1000ish spare, (still!) and want to use it up before MS points get swapped out for real moneyz!!

ironmanDX said:
132,000... Nice! Very impressive for a XBLA title. How people think this won't continue into next-gen is beyond me...

How much is it someone? 1600msp? I have a 1000ish spare, (still!) and want to use it up before MS points get swapped out for real moneyz!!

1600mp, I'm afraid xD

and that for a1600msp game where many will think "uhh what? arcade games have to be 800 or 1200 at release"

the price makes sense but not sure if everyone knows that.

Wright said:
ironmanDX said:

1600mp, I'm afraid xD

I knew it... I may grab it anyway if the word of mouth... uhh text is good on here.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
and that for a1600msp game where many will think "uhh what? arcade games have to be 800 or 1200 at release"

Tell that to Minecraft xD

Wright said:
crissindahouse said:

Tell that to Minecraft xD

yeah but that had already a huge name when it released and word of mouth is also very important, i think that could help state of decay also a lot. i'm just impressed by day 1 numbers, selling good over a long time is something i could expect more.

Well if the Xbox has multiple LIVE accounts, then it is indeed possible to have more players playing the game than it actually sold.

Still that should only account for a few 1,000 entries.

Anyway great sales, looking for a 300k+ week one, which should definitely lead to 700k lifetime sales:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4523759 (third table)

And still not released in countries like Germany/Australia...

The interesting thing here is that the tremendous hype and media coverage for The Last of Us probably helped out State of Decay. It's hard to watch people gushing over a zombie-ish game without wanting to kill zombies yourself. I don't know if it was planned, but that's good release timing.