By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - State of Decay is incredible

I will give this a try tonight...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

I have a love/hate relationship with this game atm, has a lot of good concepts, but it does a lot of things adequately. Very addicting, have the urge to play it even though I dont want to play video games.

yo_john117 said:
J_Allard said:

What's the closest you guys have come to dying? I am about 10 hours into the game and shit, I'm still in the first little town area and have not even explored every building in it yet. This morning I leaped into a house and found two survivors. They asked for help hunting a feral zombie so I accepted the mission. I didn't even notice they'd fallen way back behind, by the time I got out into the field where it was, I was alone controlling Myra or whatever because Marcus needed a rest and he is my main character. Anyways the feral zombie leaps out of the brush and tackles me. It was then I realized I only had half health and only 2 painkillers. Next thing I know the feral zombie and a horde are after me. The feral knocks me down again and I am down to 1 painkiller and half health. I dart towards a building, hop the fence, and another horde by the building is alerted. I run inside hoping to find a good place to blow them all away but 2 more zombies are inside and it's just a workshop with a restroom and a window. They trap me in the restroom and make me use my last painkiller but I am able to leap out of the window..right into the first horde. I am attacked and down to virtually no health. Suddenly I see a vehicle icon, run for the fence. Climb it, but another zombie does too and right before I get to the door of the truck I am attacked again and down.

But luckily the game has a sort of "last stand" feature where you can tap A repeatedly and get back up so I do so. I run some over in the van then go back out for the feral. I kill him with a shotgun, which alerts one of the hordes. I make a break back for the workshop but this time run to the other side. There is a propane tank there so I let the two hordes of zombies converge towards me than BAM blow it up taking out at least 10 zombies. The rest were a breeze. I took the truck and went back to home base. Game is amazing. Had this been a typical game where if I died I would just respawn, I might allow myself to die just to get my health and ammo supplies back at the last checkpoint and go after the feral zombie with a better plan. But since each death is permadeath, it gives you a connection to the characters.

I am currently looking out for a new place to make home base but it is becoming a pain in the ass to get the building materials.

Dude...that was an epic story!

I think you just convinced me to get the game

ha ha. same here. from the story it sounds like my type of game.

Anyone try the "Memento" mission? Thing is fucking hard. You have to go back to get something for Lily and the cabin its in is not only infected, but there is a horde right outside.

^ How big are zombie hordes?

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

tbh it seems to vary a little bit. Sometimes I run into "hordes" that only seem to be 4-5 zombies big. Other times it can be as many as 10 or 11. And sometimes they throw in a "freak" zombie type, like a Big Bastard, Feral Zombie, SWAT Zombie, etc.

J_Allard said:
yo_john117 said:

tbh it seems to vary a little bit. Sometimes I run into "hordes" that only seem to be 4-5 zombies big. Other times it can be as many as 10 or 11. And sometimes they throw in a "freak" zombie type, like a Big Bastard, Feral Zombie, SWAT Zombie, etc.

I hate freak zombies. I only have met one but man was he hard to kill.

I always lose my shit and run the hell away from him :p

Undead Labs confirmed that they already sold over 250k copies of SoD.

i am like 12 to 15 hours in and i only lost one guy

Yikes, I lost one of my survivors. Not the person I was controlling. But it was tense and frustrating.

I'd just finished a mission way out at the Wilkerson farm with Marcus, so I quick switched back to Maya at home base (just in case everyone doesn't know, if you're far out from home base you can swap to a character at base and it brings your character back too. Only downside is any sack of supplies you're carrying is dropped wherever you switch at). But anyway I get back to base and John is catching feelings and is depressed. So we go for a walk. We end up inside of a gun store and we're going to kill some zombies. Well.. the shop is empty when we go in, but then a few zeds pop in. While killing them, we apparently make enough noise to alert a horde. Ok, no problem. The stairs in there make for a perfect horde kill box.

We dispatch the horde and the mission still does not finish. I see some stragglers outside so I go out to take care of them. John stays inside. While outside, my blade becomes worn and I will soon be down to my shotgun. I go back inside to help John. We're killing zombie after zombie, there are no hordes alerted yet there seems to be no end in site. I knock a zed down to its knees, then come crashing down on its head with a slow motion sure fire "Zombie Kill of the Week". However, I also destroy my blade in the process.

I retreat outside to get room for my shotgun. Unfortunately, John is slower and gets pinned down. I begin unloading on the zeds with my shotgun and arms/heads/guts/brains go flying. But this alerts another horde. Before I can clear the zombies on John, the horde ascends on him. He screams for them to get closer and then BAM he sacrifices himself by detonating a grenade that takes out himself and at least 10 zeds. There are only 2 stragglers left for me to dispense with and then I pick up John's bag and carry it back to base.

I guess he was right to be sad after all. But what an epic moment when he took himself out. I had no idea that element was in the game.