By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, in before E3 : who won the 7th generation ?

In the end, who "won" this (living room) console generation ?

Wii 356 56.33%

PS3 210 33.23%

X360 62 9.81%

Total:628

But then again, I think whoever has made the most PROFIT is who should truly win.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
blublibla said:
jlrx said:

It is obviously the Wii, and you don't have to take into account just the number of consoles. Your "profit" section is also highly inaccurate, you can't call it a profit and then also call it revenue. Did Sony make any money selling the PS3 at a loss? No, they can't count as a revenue until they sold the console at cost or greater, same for Microsoft, so in the 7th generation, which company profited more from their console? We already know it was Nintendo.

So you are saying that Wii Sport Resort is the best game of this generation because it sold the most ?

As I said, a console is a winner depending on the perspective. For manufacturers it's the Wii in term of install based but in the end, the profit counts. For publishers it's the same, and Wii is far from being the most profitable. As for games, well all consoles have enough perks and game exclusives to be good, but in the end when you compare hardware, services and mostly, games, there are some platforms which offer beffet than other.

You do understand that Nintendo profited by far more then Sony or MS, and likely more than either combined? Do you understand the concept of profit? If Sony sells the PS3 and looses $100 on the console, they are not making $599 profit, they are loosing money. Nintendo sold the most consoles, and made the most profit, Nintendo won with the Wii, that is as simple as it gets.

wii, they made the most money in this generation compared to 360/ps 3

just gotta say, the revenue part is worthless because it doesnt mean profit. PS3 has the most revenue, but profited the least among the 3

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

blublibla said:
bananaking21 said:
atari

I wanted to add the "tamagotchi" option for insanely hilarous people like you. But then I really wanted to have clear/honest/direct opinion

the virtual boy of course :P

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Serious_frusting said:

Where it counts: Wii
For people who love gaming: PS3

Does that mean people who prefer the 360 hate gaming?

No not at all. I just didnt feel like typing "in my opinion" again. Although i am sure many people would agree that the PS3 turned out to be the best console by the end of the gen. Saying that though if someone dont like Sony's first party offerings, then they clearly wont agree. 

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Serious_frusting said:

No not at all. I just didnt feel like typing "in my opinion" again. Although i am sure many people would agree that the PS3 turned out to be the best console by the end of the gen. Saying that though if someone dont like Sony's first party offerings, then they clearly wont agree. 

I honestly didn't, only enjoyed UC2 and Heavy Rain. I still insist that first party games have a tinsy influence on the console sales, it's the third party that makes the consoles (when choosing between 360/PS3 or Wii) then it all comes down to the extras to lure the customers over.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Serious_frusting said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Serious_frusting said:

Oviously when you are talking about "many people" those are the PS3 fans... You are acting like it is "only" the 360 fans who do not think the PS3 is the best console :) Actually I would say it is the opposite, only PS3 fans think the PS3 is the best console... Same for the Xbox 360; my guess is that only 360 fans will think it is the best console... This is very subjective and when you go out with that kind of statement : "for people who love gaming:PS3", you are just blindly believing that, as a PS3 fan, you know what you are talking about and your oppinion is reflecting the majority... No, it is not.

OP:

Well if we look at the different categories:

Numbers : Wii > 360 = PS3
Profits : Wii > 360 > PS3.
Games : It is very subjective... PS3 fans will say PS3 is the best (ie: Serious_Frusting) , Wii fans will say Wii is the best and 360 fans will say 360 is the best (ie: myself). So Wii = 360 = PS3

So the overall ranking would me (in my oppinion) :

1 - Wii
2 - 360
3 - PS3

Edit: Also even with different catgories, I strongly believe that the profits are the most important... This will not change my ranking in any ways but I wanted to mention it :)

OP:

Yeah, as has been pointed out the premise of this thread is full of errors. You're mixing up profit/revenue and are off on a number of facts. As far as the "winner" of the gen goes, that's the Wii on most counts. It sold the most, it profited the most, sold the most games, those games probably made more money per game since they were cheap to make and the system re-established Nintendo as the biggest hardare maker in the business with more than 50% of the market. You also brought up "quality" and Nintendo would be the big winner their, with a fail rate for Wii that is less than half of PS3, which in turn was half of 360 (or equal after the RROD was resolved).

You can argue that XBox was a big winner because it gained so much market share, and really became the "go-to" console in America for core gamers. You can say PS3 was bigger than XBox because it sold at a greater rate and has had better longevity. And of course, you can say the "best" games were on whatever system you want because that's just a matter of taste. But from objective numbers, Wii was the big seller and money-maker, 360 established itself and this gen would be viewed as a "down" gen for Sony which went from total dominance to merely "very good" in terms of sales and market share. This is all, of course, as of the arbitrary end time of e3 2013 that you have set.

yum123 said:
Osc89 said:
yum123 said:
im a massive sony fanboy but its a fact that wii won the generation almost no matter what happens. imagine if in 2006 someone said do you want a console that will sell 100m units make around $8billion but stop selling after 6 years or one that sells for 10 years but will maybe only just make a few $ after the 10 years or one that is reasonably profitable but no where near the first option. you would always choose the first option which is a wii. that is FACT

Not necessarily. What about brand strength? The Wii may have sold more in a short period of time, but it has done nothing to improve the Nintendo brand. The Wii U is below Gamecube sales, so Nintendo look like they are right back to their downward trend.

I would definitely consider choosing a slow seller that gains more loyal customers than a fast seller that loses some.

Im gonna have to say no they made around so much more money than the other 2 even after 3 more years of selling that they can afford 2 more consoles making next to nothing and the will increased nintendo brand strength alot there is no way in hell that sony or microsoft got the upper hand on them factoring in the amount of money made buy the wii

but dont get me wrong I dont even like the wii ps3 in the best console but miles but just looking at the raw facts about the question which is who won

No I agree that the Wii won. But that doesn't mean Nintendo won. They lost loyal customers, and devalued their home console by going for something cheap. There is no way the Wii increased the strength of the Nintendo brand because the Wii U isn't selling. I'm just saying it isn't 100% clear which strategy you would pick, that can only be seen in the long term.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89