By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog will keep its engine tech for PS4 development

ppl trash COD engine more because it's from the mid-90s.

Around the Network
9087 said:

Any proof for this? Well, I know it's wrong but I am still curious.

How will this work the ps4 has x86 and the ps3 has cell it's driffrent

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

walsufnir said:
9087 said:

Not mid-90s... It debuted in 1999. 

Which is still really, really old considering how much technology has changed since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena was the first game to use that engine in 1999. Sure COD uses a heavily modified version of that engine, but at the end of the day it's still that engine. 

some of the posts in this thread... lol

Around the Network

The expectations are going to be so high for them next gen lol

9087 said:
walsufnir said:
9087 said:

Not mid-90s... It debuted in 1999. 

Which is still really, really old considering how much technology has changed since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena was the first game to use that engine in 1999. Sure COD uses a heavily modified version of that engine, but at the end of the day it's still that engine. 

No, because of what you said: a heavily modified engine. This is what all current engines are, no matter when they released first. If they are doing their job good or not is irrelevant because this also depends on what devs do with the engine. I remember many games running on good engines and they looked absouletly horrible.

Why change the engine when it's winning you all sorts of awards and groundbreaking reviews?