By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 18.6% profits down if no used games

I'm not for blocking used games but I do think that people largely ignore the fact that the same 2nd hand games they're buying for $15, they can probably get new for under $25. A lot of the same forces which determine 2nd hand prices at retail determine new game prices. People always go for the 2nd hand purchase because it is that bit cheaper, not because they can't afford it new.

Around the Network

No used games? Who said that?

teigaga said:
I'm not for blocking used games but I do think that people largely ignore the fact that the same 2nd hand games they're buying for $15, they can probably get new for under $25. A lot of the same forces which determine 2nd hand prices at retail determine new game prices. People always go for the 2nd hand purchase because it is that bit cheaper, not because they can't afford it new.

How much % wise do you think are doing this. Are people really that cheap that they would want to save 5 dollars on what would have been a 60 purchase? Maybe. I buy my games new 90%, but that comes from me selling or trading in older games, otherwise there is no way I would be able to buy. Maybe not that extreme but i wouldnt own anywhere near the amount of games i already do.

oniyide said:
teigaga said:

How much % wise do you think are doing this. Are people really that cheap that they would want to save 5 dollars on what would have been a 60 purchase? Maybe. I buy my games new 90%, but that comes from me selling or trading in older games, otherwise there is no way I would be able to buy. Maybe not that extreme but i wouldnt own anywhere near the amount of games i already do.

Well from my own personal experience used games at retail are often only a fraction cheaper than the new games, I shop online alot at places like Play.com so its possible physical retailers may be more dramatic in their price differences. But here is a quick comparison from recent releases, cheapest new prices vs cheapest pre-owned. I've excluded ebay and they're based off only a quick search. 

Crysis 3 new- £16.98 (Zavvi)
Crysis 3 used- £15.06 (amazon)

Tomb raider new- £17.99 (play.com) (average price around £22)
Tomb raider used- £16.94 (amazon) ( average price around £18)

Bioshock Infinite new- £29.99 (play.com) (average price £32)
Bioshock Infinite used £26.98 (play.com) (average price £28)

Dark souls new £17.98 (zavii)
Dark souls used £11.55 (amazon)

random note: xbox360 games are often cheaper than PS3 games, don't know why :/

Of course this isn't necessarily representative of retail but still, which I know I sometimes does 2 for £20 for games which cost £15 each but still I think if you can afford pre-owned, you can probably afford new. just gotta look in the right places. Where Trading in games is concerned, I haven't done so for like a decade so I don't know the value of it, how much do you make off a fairly new game? 

noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
I am still baffled that companies think that changing the dynamics of the used games market in such a way is a good idea. The best explanation I can come up with is that they assume that gamers are like drug addicts, so people will pay whatever they get asked for.

Conversely, this is a market where folks repeatedly spend $60+ on a product they admit they're not really sure they want, and often don't get around to playing. Then there are all those "here's my massive Steam backlog of games I paid for and haven't even tried in X years" threads.

Sure, but that's a minority. If there were really a lot of people like those you mentioned, then the industry wouldn't need to introduce such DRM.

Also, those people you mention are worse than drug addicts, because drug addicts actually consume what they buy.

I'd argue these folks ARE consuming what they're buying. The difference is that they're buying hype and names, not videogames per se. Doubtless there's some shrink out there who specializes in treating shopaholics who can give a pseudo-scientific explanation...

As for those folks being a minority, I'd love to agree with you...but nearly every time I put my faith in the gaming community, I get let down. Paid online, rip-off DLC, high console failure rates, bloated game prices, online passes: all of these and more are extremely anti-consumer, but after initial howls of protest folks demurely buckled in and accepted these as the new normal.

Even DRM has largely met with acceptance; Steam was villified in the early days, since it really is just another DRM scheme at heart, but to hear folks tell it today it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Valve can do no wrong. I would only be mildly surprised if the newest form of DRM became accepted too, especially if Microsoft/Sony/whoever take some steps to sweeten the pot. After all, they're letting you resell your games in some way/shape/form, so is it really that different than what we have now, when you really stop to think about it?*

*Yes

I absolutely agree with you, that's exactly what i think. Unfortunately this new kind of DRM is already being accepted as we can see based on Xbox One's preorder numbers and the general acceptance of PS4's DRM(if it actually has one) in gaming forums. The sad truth is that most gamers simply don't care about anything if they can just buy the newest media-hyped game.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Not necessarily

Selling an old game and then using that money to purchase a new one is at its core, a financially smart decision. Doesn't necessarily mean that the individual requires the funds from the sold game to buy the new one. I.e they would have bought the new game anyway. Also that money may well go back into the used game market, or something else entirely.

Part of me agrees with you when it's literally a 5 dollar difference at Gamestop.  Support the developer directly.  Not sure how Gamestop gets away with it but they do (at the end of the day, guarantee that the game will play is helpful to their cause).

However, it becomes a different story when I can save 20 dollars on Craigslist.  If someone wants to play the newest God of War and then sell it to me for 45 cash only a FEW DAYS later, then that is their porragative.  Techncially, that game would cost me 60 PLUS TAX, which is 7.75% in my neck of the woods.

20 bucks is 20 bucks.  Adds up to at least 1 new game every 3 used I buy.  I buy a mix of used and new games, depending on how badly I can resist the urge to pick it up new.

Also, getting a person to KEEP their games seems like a much better way to stifle the used game market.  I never sold a COD game or Mario Kart Wii etc.  because of the multiplayer.

noname2200 said:
Wlakiz said:
they are not saying don't have used game.. it just that they want a cut from the transfer of used game.. like a developer tax.

Thus effectively wiping out much of the financial benefit of buying used games, all while introducing new DRM to enforce publishers' double-dipping!

Gamestop or any used game dealer take a huge cut on the whole 'transfer of used game'. You sell them a game for $12 , they resell at $48. None of this money goes back to the developers.

Wlakiz said:

Gamestop or any used game dealer take a huge cut on the whole 'transfer of used game'. You sell them a game for $12 , they resell at $48. None of this money goes back to the developers.

So even under your hypothetical, the buyer saves $12 (20%). And the developer gets exactly as much as every other creator in every other field does from a second hand sale of its product ($0).

And never mind that Gamestop isn't the only way to sell a used game.

Imaginedvl said:
No used games? Who said that?

Who knows!! Too many rumors flying around. People need to wait till E3!!

Who said that? Microsoft did. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance