By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So this is what they call a truly next gen console?

What are Sony and Microsoft thinking? I seriously don't understand. The Wii U has backwards compatibility with games and controllers. But it is a piece of crap. Why? It is not truly next gen.

And now they are trying to tell me what a truly next gen console is.

I just saw  the same things of the actual generation (or worse) and lots of things unrelated with gaming.

Now I think the Wii U is awesome. Hell even the OUYA is starting to look good.

But seriously the best you can do is buy a gaming PC instead of the PS4 or the Xbox One.

Tell me I am wrong and why

Around the Network

You want a next gen console to play old games? What the hell are you ranting about?

"Next Gen" is all about new ways to relieve you of your money.

Nintendo is stuck in the past.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

kayoss said:
You want a next gen console to play old games? What the hell are you ranting about?

I didn't say I want a next gen console. 

But after all the criticism towards the WiiU, including the "not truly a next gen console", I was expecting something mindblowing from Sony and Microsoft, something of the future -not stuck in the past- something new fresh and truly next gen. Maybe that way I would finally understand what is so wrong with Nintendo. But I still don't get it.

Well maybe I am stupid. But still I don't see myself buying any of those "truly next gen" consoles.

Tell me what's so futuristic and innovative about the PS4 and X-1. Educate me. 

Maybe I am wrong, maybe I need information. Give it to me.

The PS4's lack of backwards compatibility is completely understandable considering the cell architecture. Adding it make the console expensive, bigger, and hotter. Imagine whatever the PS4 looks like and about half a PS3's size to it. The option to have a BC model would be nice but it is still a costly feature. What Sony is trying to do is provide full PS1, PS2, and PS3 BC through gaikai. The option is going to be there and it could be the same for Xbox One, we just don't know.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

You are asking why they are a jump?

Well they have a lot more power basically.... That is what new consoles normally bring.

The Wii U basically just catching up with the PS360 in terms of power and online connectivity.

kowenicki said:
illogical thread.

a true next gen console plays old games?

Where did I say that "a truly next gen console" is about playing old games?

You are right about something: it wouldn't make sense to answer my own question. Unless it was a rethorical question. But it is not. 

So read carfully: Is Ps4 and XboxOne what they call "truly next gen consoles"? If yes, why?

Wii_R2_Hardcore said:

What are Sony and Microsoft thinking? I seriously don't understand. The Wii U has backwards compatibility with games and controllers. But it is a piece of crap. Why? It is not truly next gen.

And now they are trying to tell me what a truly next gen console is.

I just saw  the same things of the actual generation (or worse) and lots of things unrelated with gaming.

Now I think the Wii U is awesome. Hell even the OUYA is starting to look good.

But seriously the best you can do is buy a gaming PC instead of the PS4 or the Xbox One.

Tell me I am wrong and why

Who is "they"?

LOL, sorry sir, but this thread just doesn't make any sense. Have you not been up to speed with articles from various gaming sites? The fact is that the WiiU simply caught up to the ps3 in terms of power and online connectivity in addition, they added an odd tablet controller.

spurgeonryan said:
They seemed to be a lot more powerful as well. Am I wrong?

So is that all? Being more powerfull than it predecessor?

Well the Wii U was more powerful than its predecessor and ALSO presented some innovation in the video game console market with the controller.

That is something different. Is not the same. Is not stuck in the past. Yes, it needs more games, but the will play differently.

We don't know much about PS4 and X1 games, but they are going to play the same than the actual generation. Faster loading times, better graphics, yeah I suppose. And you are telling me THAT is truly next gen?

So...

More Power+Something new= Truly next gen! I may buy it

More Power+More of the same+things I don't want= WTF?