By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is anyone not offended by X1used game block?

Are you likely to be affected by used games ban and activation requirements?

Yes, I buy used games all the time. 23 32.39%

Yes, I burrow a lot of games. 10 14.08%

Yes, my internet connection is shit. 2 2.82%

Nope... 18 25.35%

No, but I still can't be... 18 25.35%

Total:71

Now I've been pretty down on MS since the press conference, mainly because I thought them skipping out on game reveals did not bode well for the Xbox's One's first year of exclusive titles. I know they said wait till E3, but if they really have 15 note worthy exclusives ready for the next 16months surely they could have demonstrated more than just Forza and a live action trailer for Quantum Break, whislt still leaving plenty of reveals for E3? 

Anyways since that unimpressive showing, the attention has since shifted the to the reports that games will be tied to accounts, anyone wishing to use games associated with an account from another xbox must pay an activation fee. On top of this, the console will need to connect to the internet once every 24 hours, probably to reinforce the above. I've never seen such unanimous hate for system prior to its release, the lack of games set the tone (we all know E3 is around the corner), its the blocking of used games which has seemingly sealed the fate for many users. But I want to ask, does this really effect that many gamers? Are there individual who are just against the principle as opposed to being concerned with the actual implications for them?

Well I'll add my 2 cents.

No Used games: I haven't bought a used game since 2007, so this really has no effect on me. I'm sure they’re plenty others who don't buy used games either but feel as if they're sticking up for other consumers. For me the problem is I'm not exactly against them charging a fee for activating used games. I empathize with developers, especially as costs in the industry have reached incredibly high levels. After all it’s not the massive juggernauts like COD and Assassins Creed that are effected by used game sales, people buys these games on week one and they sail through their initial shipments. It’s the smaller titles, which don't quite receive the same media attention or critical praise. The ones you don't feel like paying $60 for because it’s not a recognised brand or its graphics aren't state of the art. Its the Kingdoms of Amula, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and Dark Siders 2 that I think most reserve for the bargain bin, or cheap 2nd hand purchase. I would love for those Development teams to be able to get a piece of the pie when people make money off their games. 

Always connected (once per day):  I have a spotty Internet connection, which is hit and miss throughout some parts of the day. Sometimes I'm randomly disconnected and have to spend the next 5mins restarting my rooter, or simply waiting a min for my laptop to detect the signal. My connection is spotty but it doesn't vanish for days at a time.... So again this news that you have to connect once per day means very little. In the last 2 years, I have one serious problem with my Internet and it was fixed the next day, so such really couldn’t be a deal breaker. Yeah, there’s the risk that something will go wrong and I'll without Internet for longer than expected, but based on my history, that will be extremely rare and inconsequential in the greater scheme of things.

I fully understand the plight of others but I'm more interested into gauging the amount of people who like me are not affected by the negatives features of the Xbox One. So please contribute towards the poll and add a comment. Have you been raging about these features even though they aren't going to affect you personally.

Edit: I should also add, I have no intention on buying an X1 at the moment. I'm leaning far more towards sony. although I have both systems I have become quite attached to a number of sony developers like Media molecule, Naught Dog, Satimonica and their Japan studios over the last few years, I trust in those developers to deliver cutting edge experiences of varied style.

Around the Network

Not at all worried, super stable net that simply works 24/7 and I don't buy or sell used games really.

These are non issues for me.

I dont like the used games market. You can resell your games on X1 though. This just allows developers and publishers to get money with the fee rather than companies such as GameStop and other retailers ripping off consumers and basically stealing money from developers who are the ones who made the game in the first place.

I also use steam and play games on the PC.  Nothing new for me other than I can now resell the games.

I'm not offended.

It's their choice how they offer a product. If the consumers don't think what they're offering is reasonable, they won't buy it. They're not lieing about anything.

I'm not buying a PS4 or X1 at launch because I don't care about any of the games announced, and general launch consoles fail more.

ishiki said:

I'm not offended.

It's their choice how they offer a product. If the consumers don't think what they're offering is reasonable, they won't buy it. They're not lieing about anything.

I'm not buying a PS4 or X1 at launch because I don't care about any of the games announced, and general launch consoles fail more.

I agree with you. I've never bought at launch either. I usually wait 6 months to buy a new system. I'll probably get a new system this time,next year.

Around the Network

I don't care about it on Xbone as I won't be buying one. But I do care if it has a flow on effect to PS4 because I don;t want that shit. I ticked the I borrow games all the time. esp between me and my nephew.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

No but I'm really excited about the Launch titles!!!

binary solo said:
I don't care about it on Xbone as I won't be buying one. But I do care if it has a flow on effect to PS4 because I don;t want that shit. I ticked the I borrow games all the time. esp between me and my nephew.

Yes because the fact that it is the choice of the publishers (basicaly that it will be the same on PS4), is directly because of the Xbox One...
Are you serious?

I'm not affected buy am offended if that makes sense.

I think my internet is stable enough to be able to verify my account once a day, but I'm not shelling out £50 for a game that requires daily approval by Microsoft to let me play it. I think it's a pride thing.

I'm not offended.

I've been a PC gamer for years so it's not like I have to sell my games or I'll die. Besides, I'm gonna wait to hear this "more details later" thing before I make up my mind. I'm also not going to get "offended" over a business decision like this. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I already KNOW that businesses want to make money. If I don't like their practices then I won't buy their product. As simple as that.

However, I will say that the market will have to be adjusted for this kind of thing. If prices stay the same and there is no real way to get a little bit of your money back by selling your used games then I will end up buying like TWO brand new games a year. I won't be able to afford more and will just hang out at the bargain bin instead. I can only buy new because I sell games. No used games in PC-land works because there is competition which brings down the price. I also like trading games, which this looks to ruin.

So, honestly, since I don't really watch TV or care about motion controls, the XO presentation did very little for me, but it didn't offend me. I'll give them another chance at E3 because games ARE important to me.