By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mainstream Media loves the Xbox One - Are "hardcore" gamers becoming irrelevant?

Will the Xbox One be successful?

Yes 68 28.10%

Maybe 63 26.03%

No 111 45.87%

Total:242
AnthonyW86 said:
Nem said:

Why dont you wait till it launches and see.

Mainstream doesnt buy a 400-500 euro/dollar system.

For people who dont know or dont care about games, yeah, im sure this was interesting.

That's why so many people bought an iPad right? And that's the same reason mainstram media seem to love the Xbox One, they don't view it as an gaming console but as a new multimedia gadget.

That was poorly worded. I meant to say a home console.

And iPad has work applications. that is why people are more willing to part with their money for it.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Mainstream media liked Nintendo's E3 conferences (read a nice article even about 2008). They always disagree.

The first group you need win over is hardcore gamers though. Because they're the ones who are willing to shell out for the console at launch.

this^

Let us not forget these are the same Media outlets that full heartedly bash the gaming industry on the regular and want cellphone games to be most dominant. 

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

BBC seems to catch on quick...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Front page new yorker also "The Xbox One is not so much a gaming console as it is the most forceful attempt yet to colonize your living room"

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/05/is-the-next-xbox-the-one.html

I won't pass judgement till E3, but still the sources above seem to feel the pain. Still it is true, we're just a vocal minority

Well, the mainstream media in Germany has as top XBOX topic: "Big brother kinect spying you"

The mainstream media isn't as informed as we are. We as hardcore gamers are still relevant. We are the ones who will spend hundreds of dollars on a console at launch. The overwhelming negativity on the Xbox One will spread beyond these niche gaming forums and into real life. Gimmicks can only take you so far and at a premium price point, it won't be enough. You need the support the of these niche core gamers. At the moment, Microsoft doesn't have it.

Around the Network

I'm sorry but articles like the one from Forbes screams moneyhatted. I like how quite a few glaze over the idea of games entirely to keep it in a good light. Nor do any of them really touch on the outraged caused by DRM BS.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

It really comes down to the fact that gamers on forums over-react to everything and only focus on one or two things.

disolitude said:
Well here is what I see...

I work for the largest cable company in Canada and we are in the midst of refreshing our iPhone/iPad video streaming apps, while designing a Android one and Windows 8 one. As of today, Xbox One app has become a big priority and no one even knew what it was till yesterday. We will have a video app ready for Xbox One by launch.

So in essence, Xbox One really doesn't live or die by the core gamers anymore. I wouldn't call core gamers irrelevant, but content/features that Xbox One will offer will overshadow just gaming.

Wow.... They put not only IOS but Android and WP8 development on hold for something not even released yet? That's telling of expectations...

Do I think we've become obsolete? No, but we've been a minority for ages. Forums like these just make it seem otherwise..

The mainstream media aren't the people who will but a console at launch for full price. That's the hardcore. If you don't win them over, then the console will have a very bad start.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

While the 40-20-40 may be true. I would say for PS4 it is 60-10-30. 60% positive and 10% negative and 30% indifferent. While most would say it has been positive in casual view, the PS4 seems to have even more positive and less negative in casual view. So in comparison you might think that the Xbox One is extremely negative.