By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ELSPA: 90 per cent of US gamers use DS piracy chip

In original text they mean that 90% people who pirate their games are using R4.

Around the Network

Wait.. Whats R4?? Where do I get one??

How hard is it to pirate a DS??

Thank You John Hillier!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

wow, those are some extremely bold and incorrect statements. are we sure there wasn't some confusion and they were talking about the psp? even then those statements are almost certainly false.

@ troll_monster - i recommend you stop using your R4.

i have a r4 and enjoy it a lot :)

kitler53 said:
wow, those are some extremely bold and incorrect statements. are we sure there wasn't some confusion and they were talking about the psp? even then those statements are almost certainly false.

@ troll_monster - i recommend you stop using your R4.

Why the hell for?

I've bought it, so I may as well use it and enjoy it. 

Around the Network
Troll_Monster said:
thekitchensink said:

John Hillier, manager of ELSPA's Intellectual Property Crime Unit, said that the R4 – a cartridge that plays hacked games downloaded onto a memory card – is harming sales for Nintendo and making it the least-profitable console on the market.

I've got a DS, every single one of my friends has a DS, almost every one of their siblings has a DS, and we all know tons of other people with DS's. None of us have R4's.

Then I recomend you get one.

No.  I'd rather encourage them to keep making games.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

90% :O is that correct?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Standard exaggerated claims made by anti-piracy groups. Do people pirate games, YES, do 90% of DS owners pirate games, NO. I'd go as far to say that 90% of DS owners in the US don't even KNOW what an R4 is.

Of course there are some legitimate uses for the R4 anyway. Assuming you believe that home-brew console hacks are a legitimate use(which I do, I even played around with DS programming and threw together a quick demo before)

Using cracked PSP firmware is much more common than using a flash-cart.

I think KillerMan must be right here, it was just a poor worded statement that was misunderstood.

90% of DS games in US pirated using R4 - BUSTED
90% of DS pirates in US using R4 - PLAUSIBLE

thekitchensink said:
Troll_Monster said:
thekitchensink said:

John Hillier, manager of ELSPA's Intellectual Property Crime Unit, said that the R4 – a cartridge that plays hacked games downloaded onto a memory card – is harming sales for Nintendo and making it the least-profitable console on the market.

I've got a DS, every single one of my friends has a DS, almost every one of their siblings has a DS, and we all know tons of other people with DS's. None of us have R4's.

Then I recomend you get one.

No. I'd rather encourage them to keep making games.

up to you man, but your missing out on some great stuff.