By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This generations cult games.

earth defense force 2017,
NiGHTS,
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki, oh wait that already basically is one...

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Does this generations best game count - Puzzle Quest

Hotel Dusk and Elite Beat Agents will get there as well

'You should try everything once in your life except incest, homosexuality and morris dancing' - Oscar Wylde (sort of)

Kasz216 said:
Keep in mind to be cult doesn't mean it's a good game that sold poorly.

It means it's a good game that sells poorly but also has a rabid fanbase supporting.

I wouldn't count Folklore in the same vein as like Zack & Wiki due to the fack that the latter has fans so dedicated that they started a campaign to try and sell the game better.

True cult games are rare.

Just a sidenote, the word 'poorly' is not the best term to define a cult game. A cult game does have to sell little, but it doesn't mean the game sold poorly as it all depends in the expectations and game's budget: An indie game might sell little, but still above expectations; And also, another game might sell 1 million copies and still sell poorly. You get my point?

And yeah, it's rare to find true cult games. It needs to have a rabid fanbase, and I can't think of a recent game that has it and sold little. The only game that comes really close to cult status is Sam & Max: Season One, however the game sold alot I believe.

A Vampyre Story
Gray Matter
The Experiment

these 3 might reach cult status, they're PC Adventure games, probably the best genre to do so.

Haha, i do have to admit, Viva Pinata is one those games i can find myself obsessing over. Actually, i ended not excessing over it because anytime i tried to play it, my girlfriend would end up getting to the xbox first and obsessing over Viva Pinata herself, haha.

She will sit there YELLING at the TV because some Pinata she wants keeps leaving the garden instead of eating all the damn fruit it needs to eat. I swear, it can get dangerous to be around her when shes playing that game, HAHAHA.

I would most definitely put condemned and Folklore on the list

Around the Network

I would say Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn would be cult. Great game, low sales. Go out and buy this game!

Eye of Judgement comes to mind

Let's not name unreleased games yet, because they might suck.

To be a "cult hit," in my eyes, the game must have very little following among the mainstream crowd but share a small but extremely devoted fanbase among certain gamers. Something like Super Mario Galaxy wouldn't apply because it's a popular title, and something like Eye of Judgment, Folklore, or Blue Dragon don't count either because they don't have that borderline-nutcase fanbase extolling every virtue of the game in their sleep.

In my eyes, here's the cult hits so far this gen:

EDF 2017
Zack & Wiki
No More Heroes
Puzzle Quest
Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan
Phoenix Wright
Loco Roco

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Mass Effect
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Guitar Hero 3
Rock Band

PSN ID: Sol_Protege     Wii:154209933064989 

Phoenix_34 said:
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4