By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fair comparison of Halo, Gran Turismo, and Mario. Broken down per generation

JayWood2010 said:

Just the ones that VGC tracks.  One reason there is only 39 is because there is many consoles that is not on this list including.

NES
SNES
GB
GBC
GBA
NDS
3DS

Thanks for the confirmation. Something didn't add up!

Around the Network

I can't deny I had to laugh when I saw 101 mario titles :p

Not a fair comparison at all. How many has each franchise sold per game?

pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well that does not count. Actual Mario games have sold way more than GT games. In all the categories above. That is like including a GT party game.....if they ever had one.

Mario Kart>2D Mario> GT> 3D Mario>most everything else-Mario

The last Mario Kart and the last 2D Mario haven't outsold the last GT.

HikenNoAce said:

It says how much each has sold per game in the OP

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
HikenNoAce said:

Sorry, didn't see it. So GT wins?

HikenNoAce said:
JayWood2010 said:
HikenNoAce said:

Sorry, didn't see it. So GT wins?

Not necessarily no.  Things such as Halo PC takes it's numbers down vastly if you are looing at per game total. I could fix Halo and GT numbers a little bit instead of counting Halo PC and the GT Japan. I probably should be doing 8 Halo games rather than 10.   Then you also have Mario that branches out from many different games as example would be mario kart and 2D mario.

As overall Mario is the clear winner and 2nd could be argued between halo and GT as GT had a 4 year headstart.  

This is what I would say.  Mario is by far the biggest 1st party game.  Gran Turismo was bigger than Halo in the 6th generation and Halo is bigger in the 7th generation.

pezus said:
HikenNoAce said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Well that does not count. Actual Mario games have sold way more than GT games. In all the categories above. That is like including a GT party game.....if they ever had one.

True. It's really mostly the huge Wii userbase that skews things a bit. I doubt Mario will be anywhere close to as big this gen, on WiiU at least.

My guess will be that Mario Kart eventually overtakes GT5.  Mario Kart always has monster legs.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
HikenNoAce said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:

True. It's really mostly the huge Wii userbase that skews things a bit. I doubt Mario will be anywhere close to as big this gen, on WiiU at least.

My guess will be that Mario Kart eventually overtakes GT5.  Mario Kart always has monster legs.

That's very possible. It's at 8.08m as of the end of March according to Nintendo. I don't see it going much higher than that though. Unless they do hard-bundles with it down the line like they did with the red Wii.

Well I know Mario Kart DS did 22m.  I dont think it will get that high of numbers again but I can see it doing above 10m.  

JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
HikenNoAce said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:

That's very possible. It's at 8.08m as of the end of March according to Nintendo. I don't see it going much higher than that though. Unless they do hard-bundles with it down the line like they did with the red Wii.

Well I know Mario Kart DS did 22m.  I dont think it will get that high of numbers again but I can see it doing above 10m.  

It could potentially meet GT5 but, yeah, it won't be as big as the DS one. The WiiU one will fair even worse.