By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No More Heroes gets a decent vindication.

Nice job fellow gamers. I am very pleased with the fact that this game actually got somewhere with Wii userbase. I hope it stays around but I do not see the game having the legs to keep it in the top ten past next week.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

Both Lair and Folklore sold more than or roughly equivalent to this title on a much smaller userbase in both USA AND Japan on their first week, yet both of those were called flops by a lot of people on this website. Man do I love consistency.

I am not criticizing No More Heroes in any way because it looks like a great game, I am just kind of surprised at people's very positive reactions to such a lukewarm reception of this game.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

This game is going to live or die by the strength of word of mouth.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
akuma587 said:
Both Lair and Folklore sold more than this title on a much smaller userbase in both USA AND Japan, yet both of those were called flops by a lot of people on this website. Man do I love consistency.

I am not criticizing No More Heroes in any way because it looks like a great game, I am just kind of surprised at people's very positive reactions to such a lukewarm reception of this game.

akuma587, I think I speak for everyone when I say shut the hell up.

The reception was much stronger than expected by everyone. This is the best debut week for a Suda 51 game ever and it is well deserved. Take your hate somewhere else.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

akuma587 said:
Both Lair and Folklore sold more than or roughly equivalent to this title on a much smaller userbase in both USA AND Japan on their first week, yet both of those were called flops by a lot of people on this website. Man do I love consistency.

We aren't saying this game is a hit. Yet I should also mention the average price of PS3 titles vs Wii titles.  

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

A) Those games cost a LOT more.

B) Those games sold way less then expected by most people.

C) This game sold more then expected by most people... as it's the best start for a Suda game yet... and apparently it's sold out of it's first shipment. (It's unorderable at ubisoft.)

Truth is, even with less sales, it's likely No More Heroes is already more successful then either of those games.

akuma587 said:

That is because the games aren't going against the same expectations. Lair was a 25 million dollar money sink that was hailed on this board as the PS3 savior. It came from a highly respected studio who has been known to make great games that sell well. It didn't even begin to recoup the development costs let alone touch the marketing and distribution.

No More Heroes, on the other hand, is made by a cult studio who has never been known for high sales, and had a far far lower budget. As far as I know the luanch of NMH has set a new record high for opening week sales of a Suda game. It will likely be as profitable as ever expected and justify more games like it (although maybe not a sequel).

Folklore I don't remember much about. There was very little talk before or after its release that I remember. If you care to refresh my memory as to who called it a flop I might be able to give you some insight into their thinking.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

akuma587 said:

It's actually a pretty good reception, given how niche Suda 51's titles tend to be.  The game also saw a VERY small initial shipment(not sure how many copies Ubi shipped, but many retailers had sold out of it).

Lair was also hyped to the n'th degree by Sony itself, while NMH hasn't been advertised much at all.

Man, I got quoted five times in a row. I think that is a record!

I am not trying to ruin anybody's day, just offering a different perspective. I would personally like to see the game do well, so I am not just hating or anything like that. If I had a Wii this would definitely be one of the games I would pick up.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Man, I got quoted five times in a row. I think that is a record!

I am not trying to ruin anybody's day, just offering a different perspective. I would personally like to see the game do well, so I am not just hating or anything like that. If I had a Wii this would definitely be one of the games I would pick up.

People aren't responding because we think you are "trying to ruin anyone's day," but we are responding to the claims of fanboyism. You seemed confused why a Wii game was being called a success when PS3 games with similar sales were called flops. What exactly were you expecting in response to your post?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229