By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guess Sony's gaming division profits/loses...

>The PS2 is basically serving as a surrogate for the PS3 until it can be profitable on its own

Which is why the way Microsoft discontinued original xbox just feel very noob-ish. PS2 is very profitable for Sony right now. and PSP is becoming a very good hardware seller.

Also, the way Sony can reduce the cost, wow, Some credit MUST go to Warner. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>The PS2 is basically serving as a surrogate for the PS3 until it can be profitable on its own

Which is why the way Microsoft discontinued original xbox just feel very noob-ish. PS2 is very profitable for Sony right now. and PSP is becoming a very good hardware seller.

MS killed the original Xbox because they were amidst a lawsuit with Nvidia and any chance of profitability of the 'box was long gone due to the dumb contract MS signed with Intel and Nvidia.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

kingofwale said:

I don't think it was a noob-ish move, since the Xbox and PS2 had vastly different levels of success and support.  It made a lot more sense for MS's gaming division to axe the Xbox and throw its full support and resources behind the 360, because the Xbox just didn't have the userbase to support development of a new system.  For that matter, the 360 didn't have the enormous development cost and losses that the PS3 had in its first year.

hahahah the gaming divison made money......sony is closer to profit then most of us think lol

I can't believe Sony's games division is profitable, it's just baffling! As far as cutting costs go and salvaging sinking ships, Sony is the winner of this gen.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
X-Man said:
rocketpig said:
$500m loss is my prediction.

Lol, ridiculous.

I already admitted I was wrong. Then again with your post history, your response shouldn't be surprising in the least. Anyway, I'm really impressed by Sony. I never thought they would pull it off but they did.

That's great, but your prediction was still ridiculous.

soccerdrew17 said:
krik said:
Username2324 said:
ymeaga1n said:

and we have a winner.  nice 133 million profit for the quarter for the gaming division.

considering the psp and ps2 are pretty much only profitable, the ps3 is still dragging them down.  on the other hand its not dragging them down much.  should be profitable on all three next year.  good job sony.  now everyone is making money on consoles.

We know the 40GB is selling even, since the production is $400 now, but the 80GB is $500, and it's been recently stated that the 80GB outsold the 40GB over the holidays. So, I don't see how the PS3 is draggin them down

Mummelmann said:
I can't believe Sony's games division is profitable, it's just baffling! As far as cutting costs go and salvaging sinking ships, Sony is the winner of this gen

In terms of within the generation itself, yes, Sony wins.

In terms of last generation to this one, as viewed by gaming pro's and gaming public, Nintendo wins.   

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

BMaker11 said:
soccerdrew17 said:
krik said:
Username2324 said:
ymeaga1n said:

and we have a winner. nice 133 million profit for the quarter for the gaming division.

considering the psp and ps2 are pretty much only profitable, the ps3 is still dragging them down. on the other hand its not dragging them down much. should be profitable on all three next year. good job sony. now everyone is making money on consoles.

We know the 40GB is selling even, since the production is $400 now, but the 80GB is $500, and it's been recently stated that the 80GB outsold the 40GB over the holidays. So, I don't see how the PS3 is draggin them down

BMaker11,

Go look at the Sony Q3 2007 Earnings Release topic http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=817

Sharky did the basic numbers, and later on I filled in his details.  PS2 hardware, software, PSP software and PS3 software just sold too much, and basically have to be too profitable for Sony's gaming division to only earn $133M unless something was losing money.  And the only likely suspect is the PS3 box.  

Either that, or they have in development one hell of a game, which in one quarter cost around $650M to produce.   Now I know that PS3 games are supposed to be more expensive to create, but WHOA!!!   ;)

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Ahhh now maybe the price will go down and i will buy a PS3 of my own.