By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guess Sony's gaming division profits/loses...

I predicted 450 million. Yeah, I'm off by about 300M, but being (probably) the ONLY person predicted a gain, I win.

WOot. :)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Q3 Game Unit Results
Revenue $5.1 billion
Operating Income $133 million

Cool, 122 mln. was close enough. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Everyone in this thread except for Username

PWNED

Well, PS2 and PSP is earning them almost as much as PS3 is draining them, so it'll be a rather small figure. I say around 180-200 million dollars (in the red).

rocketpig said:
$500m loss is my prediction.

Lol, ridiculous.

Around the Network
X-Man said:
rocketpig said:
$500m loss is my prediction.

Lol, ridiculous.

I already admitted I was wrong. Then again with your post history, your response shouldn't be surprising in the least. Anyway, I'm really impressed by Sony. I never thought they would pull it off but they did.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

>so it'll be a rather small figure. I say around 180-200 million dollars (in the red).

predicting AFTER the data is released, and you still got it wrong. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I think it should be remembered that out of all the players Sony is by far the largest producer of consumer electronics. They should be able to rapidly reduce production costs ahead of Nintendo and way ahead of MS.

It's not too surprising (given its something they have control of) that they'd seek to reduce losses via cost cutting rather than relying on sales. There were hints between annouced cost savings and internal reviews that a profit might be possible and clearly PS2 and PSP sales coupled with cost reductions and improving PS3 HW/SW sales has brought them back into the black.

The big question now is can they stay there in the coming months.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think those who predicted a big loss for Sony's gaming division simply didn't realize how many PS2's were sold during the last quarter, and how much PS2 software sold. The PS2 is basically serving as a surrogate for the PS3 until it can be profitable on its own, which may happen by the end of this year depending on how aggressive Sony is with price cuts.

Reasonable said:
I think it should be remembered that out of all the players Sony is by far the largest producer of consumer electronics. They should be able to rapidly reduce production costs ahead of Nintendo and way ahead of MS.

It's not too surprising (given its something they have control of) that they'd seek to reduce losses via cost cutting rather than relying on sales. There were hints between annouced cost savings and internal reviews that a profit might be possible and clearly PS2 and PSP sales coupled with cost reductions and improving PS3 HW/SW sales has brought them back into the black.

The big question now is can they stay there in the coming months.

Sony does have an advantage over MS and Nintendo, but I think it's a rather small one. While Sony can probably reduce prices on optical drives, motherboards, and other components more quickly than its competition, the bulk of console price reduction comes from GPU/CPU/RAM process shrinks, all of which are handled by other companies (Nvidia, IBM, ATI, etc.).  MS and Nintendo use some of the same companies (IBM) or competing companies (Nvidia and ATI).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/