By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

StarDoor said:
BlackBeauty said:

Smash will be a 20 million seller WW.

Don’t know why people are surprised considering how big smash is right now.

Even with the Wii U, the fan base never stops growing. (Twitch viewers, fan tournaments have been trending upward year on year)

Pokémon on the other hand has been on a downward spiral san a little blip that was Go. USUM was a joke.

Downward sprial? USUM sold better than Crystal and Emerald, it'll pass Platinum soon, and it's currently only 650k behind B2/W2, games that had actual effort put into them. USUM was incredibly lazy and still put up numbers on par with the previous third versions and sequels. Not to mention, SuMo released after Pokemon Go and managed to outsell R/S and B/W, both of which launched on larger userbases (significantly larger in B/W's case). Even though Diamond and Pearl were on a console that sold 80 million units more than 3DS, the games only managed to sell 1.38 million units more than X/Y, and 1.57 million more than SuMo. The core series has not seen any decline, and in addition, Pokemon Go has multiplied the Pokemon Company's annual profits by a factor of 8 compared to the previous decade. As a franchise, Pokemon is in a stronger position right now than it has been in at any point since 2002.

USUM are two games. 

Sun and Moon failed to sell more than X&Y I don’t need to say anything more.

The games have been STAGNANT for a while now despite the desperate efforts of Gamefreak trying to appeal to young gamers each and every time. User base are exactly the same leaning even older with Sun and Moon.

Instead of trying to appeal to the demographic they have. They tried many many times to the younger markets. Sooner or later people will get tired of that. 

Its already happening. Forums, youtubers esp of Pokémon content are falling out. (Trust me I used to be on Pokémon forums. They are mostly dead and smogon isn’t the same at all.) YouTube people I used to follow completely stopped making Pokémon content or just play only old Pokémon games or moved on to smash. 

Nostaglia leaning, causal grabbing, same old formula will be the death of the core franchise. 

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 14 July 2018

Around the Network

They have a chance to really break it out with the switch ala BOTW and Odyssey but sadly they flopped badly.

BlackBeauty said:
StarDoor said:

Downward sprial? USUM sold better than Crystal and Emerald, it'll pass Platinum soon, and it's currently only 650k behind B2/W2, games that had actual effort put into them. USUM was incredibly lazy and still put up numbers on par with the previous third versions and sequels. Not to mention, SuMo released after Pokemon Go and managed to outsell R/S and B/W, both of which launched on larger userbases (significantly larger in B/W's case). Even though Diamond and Pearl were on a console that sold 80 million units more than 3DS, the games only managed to sell 1.38 million units more than X/Y, and 1.57 million more than SuMo. The core series has not seen any decline, and in addition, Pokemon Go has multiplied the Pokemon Company's annual profits by a factor of 8 compared to the previous decade. As a franchise, Pokemon is in a stronger position right now than it has been in at any point since 2002.

USUM are two games. 

The games have been STAGNANT for a while now despite the desperate efforts of Gamefreak trying to appeal to young gamers each and every time. User base are exactly the same leaning even older with Sun and Moon.

Instead of trying to appeal to the demographic they have. They tried many many times to the younger markets. Sooner or later people will get tired of that. 

Its already happening. Forums, youtubers esp of Pokémon content are falling out. (Trust me I used to be on Pokémon forums. They are mostly dead and smogon isn’t the same at all.) YouTube people I used to follow completely stopped making Pokémon content or just play only old Pokémon games or moved on to smash. 

Nostaglia leaning, causal grabbing, same old formula will be the death of the core franchise. 

So S&M selling less than XY is a sign of decline? How close are they in terms of sales again?

And Pokemon Let’s Go is mostly aimed towards Go fans, who are more likely to be young adults. Some of those players haven’t played Pokémon since Red/Blue or maybe Gold/Silver. 

And as for YouTubers, they just move on to other stuff. It’s natural. Unless you’re a dedicated Pokémon player who only plays Pokémon, you’re not gonna focus on the same franchise forever. It doesn’t mean they no longer love Pokémon or don’t find interest in playing them anymore. Your examples may be as anecdotal as when others have said their co-workers who have played Go are interested in getting Pokémon Let’s Go.

Kai_Mao said:
BlackBeauty said:

USUM are two games. 

So S&M selling less than XY is a sign of decline? How close are they in terms of sales again?

And Pokemon Let’s Go is mostly aimed towards Go fans, who are more likely to be young adults. Some of those players haven’t played Pokémon since Red/Blue or maybe Gold/Silver. 

And as for YouTubers, they just move on to other stuff. It’s natural. Unless you’re a dedicated Pokémon player who only plays Pokémon, you’re not gonna focus on the same franchise forever. It doesn’t mean they no longer love Pokémon or don’t find interest in playing them anymore. Your examples may be as anecdotal as when others have said their co-workers who have played Go are interested in getting Pokémon Let’s Go.

I don’t have numbers but pretty sure VGC entrants are lower every year if that’s not a sign of decline I don’t know what is.

Offcial Pokémon tourney is shrinking yearly because they have been doing a shit job of keeping competitive players unlike Nintendo.

They are banking hardcore fans buying their causal games regardless + go players. But the thing is hardcore fans can only endure so much. 

great start for super smash and pokemon

Around the Network

Smash entering the charts like

Keybladewielder said: 
Smash having a strong start. Let's Go, Eeve! not even close to Let's Go, Pikachu!
1 point for KH3, nice.

which is even more surprising considering Japan is supposed to be the country where Eevee is more popular

Last edited by Luke888 - on 14 July 2018

Amazon Japan:
#1 #2 SMASH
#3 #4 #10 #12 #16 #17 Pokemon Lets Go (There are more SKUs...... what are they though? And why is there soo many?)

Pocky Lover Boy! 

BlackBeauty said:
StarDoor said:

USUM are two games. 

By like 190k lol, and how many extra years did X and Y have since release of Sun and Moon? Like 3. Not to mention X and Y didn't get third versions like Sun and Moon which sold a further 7.51 million copies.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/3ds.html

quite the debut by smash! Impressive.

Honestly a bit surprised we didnt see all Pokemon SKUs on the chart.. guess they will come, at some point.

I think the Pokemon preorders will mean nothing in the long term. I still expect at 2 million minimum LTD in japan for the games.