By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

horuhe said:
Kerotan said:
So pokemon has slayed yokai watch. I bet level 5 are pissed and jealous. I bet they thought YW3 would be the series peak but along come Nintendo with the one two Sucker Punch of pokemon go and Sumo. Nintendo have done well to keep yokai watch mainly on the 3DS for so long and it's benefited them greatly but after getting drop kicked by Nintendo they'll no doubt start looking a lot more towards the android / iOS market.

I just remember when Hino said something about Yo-Kai Watch 3 being something a la Dragon Quest III was on its own days.

He must be laughing right now, or crying who knows...

What is true, though, is that Yo-Kai is not relevant anymore, and in my opinion, the fact itself of releasing Shin Uchi or even Busters affected the brand position, at least software-wise, because outside the games, the brand is still relatively strong, of course, not as 2014.

Yeah.  We'll still get a lot more yokai watch.  I just imagine they'll budget it so that they'll definitely make a profit if it sells lower numbers.  It's just crazy how quickly it peaked and declined. 

Around the Network

Tales of BEASTERIA ps4 demo out today. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1253931

Speaking of Youkai Watch, i wonder how it will do on iOS and Android. The first game will be ported soon. If it manages to do well i will not be surprised to see YW2 and 3 on iOS and Android in the future. Seeing how Level5 is very mobile focused maybe YW4 will be a Mobile/NX game too?

Roketan said:
Speaking of Youkai Watch, i wonder how it will do on iOS and Android. The first game will be ported soon. If it manages to do well i will not be surprised to see YW2 and 3 on iOS and Android in the future. Seeing how Level5 is very mobile focused maybe YW4 will be a Mobile/NX game too?

It's definitely something to keep an eye on.  People are saying level 5 have run the series into the ground but maybe there's still a lot of profits to be had for the series on Android / iOS. 

Kerotan said:
So pokemon has slayed yokai watch. I bet level 5 are pissed and jealous. I bet they thought YW3 would be the series peak but along come Nintendo with the one two Sucker Punch of pokemon go and Sumo. Nintendo have done well to keep yokai watch mainly on the 3DS for so long and it's benefited them greatly but after getting drop kicked by Nintendo they'll no doubt start looking a lot more towards the android / iOS market.  

I don't think Pokémon has anything to do with the success or failings of Yo-kai Watch; don't fall into that lazy Western media trap of comparing all Japanese games in this genre to Pokémon.

From what I can gather, Yo-kai Watch didn't do so hot in Japan when it was first released in 2013.  In fact you can see people in this very thread at the time saying "poor Level-5" upon the first game's Japanese release.  Then some stupid-looking anime dance became popular in Japan, like a Gangnam Style hit, and it took off.  So now that the dance craze has pretty much died, the Yo-kai Watch games, which were never that good to begin with, are fading with it.  Also didn't help that Level-5 completely and ridiculously oversaturated the market, to the point where it looks like they were trying to milk it for all it's worth as fast as they could, maybe they don't think it'll be all that relevant on the next Nintendo handheld (the successor for the 3DS).

Around the Network
NateH said:
Kerotan said:

I don't think Pokémon has anything to do with the success or failings of Yo-kai Watch; don't fall into that lazy Western media trap of comparing all Japanese games in this genre to Pokémon.

From what I can gather, Yo-kai Watch didn't do so hot in Japan when it was first released in 2013.  In fact you can see people in this very thread at the time saying "poor Level-5" upon the first game's Japanese release.  Then some stupid-looking anime dance became popular in Japan, like a Gangnam Style hit, and it took off.  So now that the dance craze has pretty much died, the Yo-kai Watch games, which were never that good to begin with, are fading with it.  Also didn't help that Level-5 completely and ridiculously oversaturated the market, to the point where it looks like they were trying to milk it for all it's worth as fast as they could, maybe they don't think it'll be all that relevant on the next Nintendo handheld (the successor for the 3DS).

If the game wasn't that good and was made popular by a craze that wasn't going to last then I think level 5 did the right thing.  Milk it while its hot and make maximum profits. 

HOLY SHIT!

Holy Persona.

Kerotan said:
Roketan said:

It's definitely something to keep an eye on.  People are saying level 5 have run the series into the ground but maybe there's still a lot of profits to be had for the series on Android / iOS. 

I wonder how big those profits really are since they seem to have gone from looking like transfering the bulk of their IPs to primarily mobile to keeping one foot pretty firmly in the handheld market with the announcement of Lady Layton, which comes after Layton 7 was announced as being transformed into a mobile card game.  Makes me wonder if they're having second thoughts on their strategy :P