By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

pokoko said:
Otakumegane said:
It feels that the niche audience is larger in japan for some reason which is funny because I would expect Japanese to be more conformist.

Conformist in appearance but very passive agressive.  Japan is all about niche.  They'll isolate an interest, turn it into a genre, then build a niche industry around it.  Look at how many sexual fetishes they have which have become Things Unto Themselves.  I just hate how fads take over their media for awhile.  I got so sick of tsundere loli that I wanted to verbally assault kittens AND puppies. 

Agreed.

I'm the same with expressionless characters (unless its meant to be funny), the must have perfect heroine for the nobody MC (when 90% of the time the childhood friend is better), and finally the indecisive MC that can't get together with a girl even tho they are literally throwing themselves at him (which is why I hate most harems, World God Only Knows is like the only exception).

O and EVERYONE'S parents are either dead, never home, never shown, or are exetremely lacking personality.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Just thought I'd share something I've been working on. It's mainly for my own interests (because I like looking through COMG archives and I'm especially interested in Vita); but just in case anyone else is interested in this kind of stuff:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=168639

Comparing a large amount of Vita releases' points on COMG to their FW sales (I used VGC figures, but since that combines Media Create & Famitsu anyway I figured it was okay).

I'll update it all the way up to the current games at some other time, I'm too tired now.

Very interesting!

I'd suggest, if you are to add a "Ratio" parameter, that it become the main indicator of the table, i.e. the one the titles are ordered by, in descending order.

Interesting indeed. Well, not really.

See you guys on the other side!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Kresnik said:
Just thought I'd share something I've been working on. It's mainly for my own interests (because I like looking through COMG archives and I'm especially interested in Vita); but just in case anyone else is interested in this kind of stuff:

Comparing a large amount of Vita releases' points on COMG to their FW sales (I used VGC figures, but since that combines Media Create & Famitsu anyway I figured it was okay).

I'll update it all the way up to the current games at some other time, I'm too tired now.

Coul you add current sales number from VGChartz? Japan numbers only... so we can see how the game have being doing after its release...

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

Updated my comparison thread this morning:

It's now up to date with everything up to Ragnarok Odyssey Ace. Just waiting on VGChartz numbers for Killzone to add that. SNAFU will be the next game in there.

I also took your suggestions on board and added a "ratio column".

On my to do list: re-order the chart based on either FW sales or ratio (leaning towards ratio atm, but might make two charts: one for ratio & one for FW sales).

I might get around to adding LT sales eventually, but I don't really like how LT sales are calculated here; it just seems random. For example, last year I was tracking the sales of EDF 2017 Portable. After 20 weeks, they completely stopped tracking the game. Not a single sale was added between week 20 after released and week 24 (when I stopped following it). They then restarted tracking it at some point during 2013, because it currently has 2013 sales added for it.

So yeah. It's something I'll get around to eventually, perhaps, but I'll focus on getting them in a more managable order next.

Around the Network

Oh, and just a quick "FYI" that I found interesting:

Best performing ratio = Soul Sacrifice (1: 2799). Completely obliterated what COMG thought. But, that's mostly because there were 3 SKU's for it (normal edition; dual pack; hardware bundle) whereas we only had one version show up (normal edition).

PhotoKano Kiss, surprisingly, was the second best performing ratio (1: 1927). I'd have thought this kind of game would've been right up COMG's alley. Maybe they all owned it for PSP.

One Piece; Muramasa; Ys; Gravity Rush & Dragon's Crown all performed much better than COMG gave them credit for. It seems mid-tier (in Vita terms) IP's tend to do better in sales than they do on COMG.

Worst performing ratio = Phantasy Star Online 2 (1: 525). Lots of COMG-sumers pre-ordered this game, but it in no way matched actual FW sales for the title.

Persona 4 Golden also performed pretty badly (1:
It would seem, then, that big established IP's on Vita probably will over-perform on COMG (God Eater 2 is the next one to look out for). Mid-tier titles will probably under-perform; and there's a whole range of niche small-sellers to examine but I don't think any of them particularly over-performed on COMG (in fact, PhotoKano seems to debunk this), so I don't think Vita is close to inheriting PSP's mantle just yet.

Kresnik said:
Oh, and just a quick "FYI" that I found interesting:

Best performing ratio = Soul Sacrifice (1: 2799). Completely obliterated what COMG thought. But, that's mostly because there were 3 SKU's for it (normal edition; dual pack; hardware bundle) whereas we only had one version show up (normal edition).

PhotoKano Kiss, surprisingly, was the second best performing ratio (1: 1927). I'd have thought this kind of game would've been right up COMG's alley. Maybe they all owned it for PSP.

One Piece; Muramasa; Ys; Gravity Rush & Dragon's Crown all performed much better than COMG gave them credit for. It seems mid-tier (in Vita terms) IP's tend to do better in sales than they do on COMG.

Worst performing ratio = Phantasy Star Online 2 (1: 525). Lots of COMG-sumers pre-ordered this game, but it in no way matched actual FW sales for the title.

Persona 4 Golden also performed pretty badly (1: < 714). The < is because it's "at least" - we didn't get any updates for the last 4 days of P4G, so the COMG pre-orders were probably even higher, meaning a more skewed ratio.

It would seem, then, that big established IP's on Vita probably will over-perform on COMG (God Eater 2 is the next one to look out for). Mid-tier titles will probably under-perform; and there's a whole range of niche small-sellers to examine but I don't think any of them particularly over-performed on COMG (in fact, PhotoKano seems to debunk this), so I don't think Vita is close to inheriting PSP's mantle just yet.

These are quite useful info Kresnik, thank you !

The perfectly matched ratio is for Ragnarok Odessey Ace with 1=1002 , but overall Vita games tend to have higher ration than that.

_crazy_man_ said:
pokoko said:

Conformist in appearance but very passive agressive.  Japan is all about niche.  They'll isolate an interest, turn it into a genre, then build a niche industry around it.  Look at how many sexual fetishes they have which have become Things Unto Themselves.  I just hate how fads take over their media for awhile.  I got so sick of tsundere loli that I wanted to verbally assault kittens AND puppies. 

Agreed.

I'm the same with expressionless characters (unless its meant to be funny), the must have perfect heroine for the nobody MC (when 90% of the time the childhood friend is better), and finally the indecisive MC that can't get together with a girl even tho they are literally throwing themselves at him (which is why I hate most harems, World God Only Knows is like the only exception).

O and EVERYONE'S parents are either dead, never home, never shown, or are exetremely lacking personality.

Most of the time, unless she's tsundere and violent, the childhood friend is so much better that I want to shake the hell out of the main character.  Usually, the only interesting quality of the girl he falls for is that she's an alien/demon/angel/cat/whatever.  The one with the best personality almost never gets picked, which is just total rubbish to me.

There is a lot that I will never understand about Japanese tastes.  It's the same with pretty much anything shoujo, the girl almost always picks the handsome, good-at-everything jerk with the bad personality over the really nice guy who treats her well.

Best girl discussions in COMG thread? I'm a little happy but confused....

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Can't believe nobody posted this yet.

Monster Hunter 4 shipment is already over 2 million (not sure if this includes digital, no mention in Famitsu and Sinobi).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/sp/english/news/html/e130917.html

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/