By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA taking too much heat for not supporting Nintendo?

JayWood2010 said:

Yes I'm referring to the average numbers.  And yes EA made money off of the Wii.  But I was never (including the OP) was just talking about the WiiU or just the Wii.  I've been saying Nintendon Console(s).  And I even mention that I understand some of the complaints but from a business standpoint I understand them not releasing games like Crysis 3 on the WiiU.  For one FPS games don't do well on nintendo consoles.  2 the WiiU doesn't have a big enough userbase to really justify taking the chance with them (yet).  In time EA will bring more games but Nintendo needs to give them reasons to first.

And yeas some games like L.A. Noire failed at making money.  That is a game that sunk the developers.  Yes I am a person who agrees with profits rather than just sales.  The problem is we don't know the profits of each game.  And as I said above, is it worth chancing on games like Crysis 3? 

Now while I agree with some of your points I am not just talking about the Wii or just the WiiU, but both and have been the entire time.  

Ok, I think I can work with this.

You are of the position that the U may get games later as Nintendo supplies a convincing userbase for EA's business needs. Why, in that case, did they not only refuse to port the Frostbite engine (for long-term strat), but also brush off the U as basically being unable to support it?

What do you do about the lack of quality in EA's WiiU ports as posted a few times by Maher? Do you really think it's fair to judge the viability of a 3rd party publisher's success off weak efforts?

allenmaher said:
EA's WiiU offerings
-ME3 not available for download, I am not searching across a ton of stores for a copy... did not get
-FIFA 13 tried the demo... it was not good, waiting for PES
-Madden gimped version passed on it, plus I am a CFL fan not an NFL fan. Four downs, short field, WTF... girly football.
-NFSMW was a good game, available for download, bought it immediately

EA sucks (should not say this since my buddy works for them)
But if they make a game worth buying for the WiiU, I will buy it.

Around the Network

The problem with comparing Wii numbers to 360/PS3 as you're doing Jay, is that EA never deserved any great Wii numbers because a vast majority of their Wii games were minimal effort trash. You can't release almost nothing but crap on a console and then complain that you didn't get many sales. Maybe had EA put some more effort into most of their Wii games, there would have been more success. And hell, maybe had they done that, there would be a bigger fanbase for those games/franchises on the Wii and thus the WiiU sales of sequels in said franchises would be better.

Why should Madden 13 on the WiiU sell well when it's a crappy port of a Wii version without any of the PS3/360 versions improvements (no improved AI, no Infinity Engine, no team play online, no Ultimate Team, etc)? And why should there be a big fanbase for it on the Wii when the Wii games have almost all been nothing but roster updates?

Why should Mass Effect 3 sell well on the WiiU when you could buy the PS3/360 versions for less? And why would anyone buy the game on WiiU when a day after launch, EA came out and said they have no plans to support the game with any of the premium DLC the other versions got? Why should there be a big following for Mas Effect on a Nintendo console when EA gave Nintendo fans absolutely nothing prior to ME3? Even mobile got something. And as if those 3 weren't enough, throw in the ME Trilogy as well. So now you can either buy the exact same game for much less on other platforms and also get access to DLC, but you can also buy the entire trilogy for the same price on other platforms. If a new WiiU owner today went into Gamestop and he also happened to own a PS3 or 360, he/she could get the entire trilogy for $40. Why would they bother with a neutered, overpriced WiiU version of just ME3?

Why should FIFA 13 sell well on WiiU when it's a shitty port of FIFA 12 that lacks any of the improvements made to FIFA 13 on 360/PS3 (no Ultimate Team, no First Touch Control, no Complete Dribbling, no Football Club)? And why should FIFA sell as well on Wii as it does on PS3/360 when the Wii versions were always PS2 ports with minimal improvements? Notice a trend here? It's amazing that even with their sports games, which require the least effort of all, EA still somehow manages to try even less on Nintendo platforms.

And finally Need for Speed. All that the Wii saw of Need for Speed during its lifetime were PS2 ports. Some of the games were 360/PS3 exclusive. So while the WiiU version of NFSMW might be the "best", what does it matter when EA has done nothing to build a fanbase on the Nintendo platforms? It would be like Epic Games releasing a definitive version of Gears of War 4 on PS3 and it doesn't sell like it does on Xbox. Well no shit. EA deserves all the crap they get for the shenanigans they pull with Nintendo. Idk what their agenda is but something is there.

J_Allard you raise a great point. It's also up to publishers to secure their fanbases on the various consoles in order to push sales. They're already lucky they sold so much on the Wii with barely any effort, they should be thanking Nintendo.

Jaywood, compare the sales for EA's games with sales for other 3rd party titles on the U, only 6 months after launch.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5329285

Wow ZombieU the best selling WiiU 3rd party title. Just goes to show what can happen if you make an effort. EA makes absolutely no effort and almost seems as if they are sabotaging their own WiiU releases and some people act surprised when the games sell like turds.

Around the Network

EA isn't the only company not supporting the Wii U. This guy made a list and EA had 9 titles, out of 50...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ig7A-eaZA8&feature=player_embedded (Warning massive anger at end of video)

It's just that simple.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
osed125 said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Nintendo should have released a more powerful system to at least get some ports from infinity or ps4....too bad they went cheap and now paying the price

Even if Nintendo made the most powerful system of the 8th gen, the situation wouldn't have changed at all. Power is not an issue here, business relations are.

Not really, what business relations are u talking about ? All 3rd party's seem to have the same idea

Know what I think? Nintendo doesn't keep third party in mind at all when making their consoles. They keep a singular vision instead of a unified vision between themselves and their potential partners.

They are changing this things (or at least trying), one step at a time. Examples: Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Shin Megami Tensie x Fire emblem, publishing Monster Hunter and Lego City in Europe (and also in America I think), free licenses for the Unity Engine. All of those are relationships Nintendo has made with 3rd parties. Nintendo doesn't have the money to make partnerships with every 3rd party company and no one expects them to do so. 

Ubisoft, Warner, Sega and Capcom are supporting the system with few games, even with the horrendous install base the system currently has. If your theory is correct then why are those companies supporting the system? Either they are happy with the games they have sold on the Wii U (Capcom was happy with the Monster Hunter sales, and iirc Sega was relative happy with Sega & All Star racing for the Wii U) or Nintendo has a strong partnership with them. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
osed125 said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Nintendo should have released a more powerful system to at least get some ports from infinity or ps4....too bad they went cheap and now paying the price

Even if Nintendo made the most powerful system of the 8th gen, the situation wouldn't have changed at all. Power is not an issue here, business relations are.

Not really, what business relations are u talking about ? All 3rd party's seem to have the same idea

Know what I think? Nintendo doesn't keep third party in mind at all when making their consoles. They keep a singular vision instead of a unified vision between themselves and their potential partners.

They are changing this things (or at least trying), one step at a time. Examples: Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Shin Megami Tensie x Fire emblem, publishing Monster Hunter and Lego City in Europe (and also in America I think), free licenses for the Unity Engine. All of those are relationships Nintendo has made with 3rd parties. Nintendo doesn't have the money to make partnerships with every 3rd party company and no one expects them to do so. 

Ubisoft, Warner, Sega and Capcom are supporting the system with few games, even with the horrendous install base the system currently has. If your theory is correct then why are those companies supporting the system? Either they are happy with the games they have sold on the Wii U (Capcom was happy with the Monster Hunter sales, and iirc Sega was relative happy with Sega & All Star racing for the Wii U) or Nintendo has a strong partnership with them. 

No. Those games are being made to fit the Wii U. They are not examples of what next gen is like because as I said Nintendo was only thinking of themselves when they developed the console. Its Nintendo's next gen (but technically still current gen) featuring support for a tablet. In order to fit Nintendos next gen you must play by Nintendos rules. Do what you want as long as you fit into their custom specs, which is why they will be getting current gen games and when next gen hits, they'll be on their own, but at least they'll have the special made exclusives. There will be no reason to scale that low to the Wii U. Don't believe me now but lets let this rest and see a year or two from now.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No. Those games are being made to fit the Wii U. They are not examples of what next gen is like because as I said Nintendo was only thinking of themselves when they developed the console. Its Nintendo's next gen (but technically still current gen) featuring support for a tablet. In order to fit Nintendos next gen you must play by Nintendos rules. Do what you want as long as you fit into their custom specs, which is why they will be getting current gen games and when next gen hits, they'll be on their own, but at least they'll have the special made exclusives. There will be no reason to scale that low to the Wii U. Don't believe me now but lets let this rest and see a year or two from now.

In the end is the same. If those exclusive games sell well both companies will be happy, and the support will continue. 

Their partnerships won't be focused on multiplats I can almost warranty that. Their relations will be in terms of exclusive content and publishing games. You can already see that in their recent business practices. For Nintendo it will be more important to have Kingdom Hearts 3 as exclusive (obviously hypothetical scenario) than having GTA V on their system as a multiplat.  

Having exclusive content is waaaay better than multiplats imo, so I think they are going in the right direction. 

We have been over the systems power multiple times, the Wii U will be able to run next gen games (just not at the same level as the PS4 and next xbox), this will be thanks to downscalable engines. This is where either Nintendo or the 3rd parties themselves need to invest the money, they need to port those engines to the Wii U and optimize it. If Frosbite 3 runs on the 360 and PS3 there's no reason for the Wii U not to, the only only problem here is to port the engine and optimize it, which EA obviously isn't going to do.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Cobretti2 said:

My point is still valid, the Wii U has only sold about 3million units. There is real no mass market. It is early adopters who are most likely Nintendo gamers and know what is going on.

Assuming the 1.3 million is right (VGChartz has half this), that is nothing of a 150million base which has a mass market component to it. This is like 0.87% of total install base. 

Now using Wii U numbers from VGchartz to find % sold against 3million Wii Us sold:

Pos Game Platform Year Global % Sold
3 ZombiU WiiU 2012 0.42 14.00%
4 Monster Hunter Tri WiiU 2012 0.33 11.00%
5 Lego City Undercover WiiU 2013 0.24 8.00%
6 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed WiiU 2012 0.21 7.00%
7 Just Dance 4 WiiU 2012 0.18 6.00%
8 Call of Duty: Black Ops II WiiU 2012 0.18 6.00%
9 Scribblenauts: Unlimited WiiU 2012 0.16 5.33%
10 Assassin's Creed III WiiU 2012 0.14 4.67%
11 Batman: Arkham City WiiU 2012 0.14 4.67%

The ratios are no so bad considering they do not include digital sales.

Notice how the games that had effort put in are topping that list?.

As for the my comment about people would buy it on Wii U, well I was refering to people who this gen had no choice but to get a second console to experience 3rd party games. If Wii U had excellent support, I am sure those people would love to go back to one console users, and therefore would indeed buy the trilogy on the new system, assuming they owned a Wii U already an liked the fatures the Wii U offered.

those aliens numbers are from sega them selfs, so they are undisputed.

well that list of games pretty much sales it all.

ZombieU - the game was bundled from launch, yet it only sold .42 million units. there not terrible, but they are in no ways inspiring. considering they are bundled this pretty much shows that these types of games simply dont sell much on the WiiU currently. also this isnt a mutliplatform tittle so that will maximise the sales of this on the WiiU because nobody can get it else where.

MH tri- you do realize that over 2/3rds of this games units are sold in japan right? a market that EA does not cater to. yet a japanese game managed to outsell all of EA's games combined. its simple, EA does not have a market on the WiiU, thats why there is no support. btw this isnt even on ps3 or xbox 360

Lego City - it did ok i guess. certainly nothing to brag out, but this isnt mutliplatform either. but this point goes for the sega karting game as well. this isnt the type of game that EA makes or wants to sell, the fact that this outsold all EA's game combined, outsold CoD, ME, AC and need for speed says something. the demographic that buys the WiiU is different from the demographic that buys the PS360. nintendo's consumers are mostly kids and parents buying there kids a console. i know for some reason that riles people up, but its the truth.

the sega karting games that has a long name - this game is the only game that i can say performed better than it should have, looking at the sales of the other version on other consoles this did do good, sega should be happy with it. but its not the type of game EA makes, and the consumers who bought it arent the type who would buy battlefield or mass effect

Call of duty - those sales are just pure shit. this is the best selling game world wide. it sells over 10 million a year on each the ps3 and 360. the fact that call of duty bombed so hard on the WiiU says it all. if this game sold this bad why would battlefield sell better? the cosnumers just arent on the WiiU for this type of game, its that simple, those sales are proof

Assassin's creed - this pretty much has the same problem as CoD. the game sells millions upon millions yet cant even do .15 million on the WiiU.

notice how the best selling one of those games just sold .42 million units and it was bundled? notice that other than zombieU the games that did better than CoD are monster hunter, lego city, sega karting and just dance? games that are in no way the type of games EA makes? its simple, the WiiU owners wont buy the games that EA makes.