By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Indie dev says Nintendo going out of their way to pamper indie crowd

Coming from an indie dev over at NeoGAF, in response to Avalanche's comments about Nintendo being hard to get in touch with.

We are a tiny indie developer and NEVER had issues to get in contact with Nintendo. They invited us to a conference in Madrid and are constantly checking what we are doing.

So my impression of Nintendo and their relations to indie is completely different. As a matter of fact they are going out of their way to pamper us. Nintendo is doing a lot to work with indies. Also, I find it funny that people keep forgetting that Nintendo were the first ones to strike a deal with Unity to drop all license cost to publish on their console.

Two sides of the same coin, I guess. Maybe Avalanche did have trouble reaching out. Maybe they didn't really try. I think we all know that Nintendo is pushing hard for indies right now. Perhaps Nintendo feels the majority of traditional third parties are a loss. Thanks to Emily for the heads up!

UPDATE - WayForward chimed in to echo these statements...

Around the Network

And the truth comes out. I hope everyone who bashed Nintendo for things they didn't do will be put to shame.

Updated with the source.

happydolphin said:

And the truth comes out. I hope everyone who bashed Nintendo for things they didn't do will be put to shame.

This statement doesn't exclude what Avalanche said.  It's quite possible that for them Nintendo have been difficult to get in contact with; but for a smaller team it has been a different experience.

Especially since the first line is "We are a tiny indie dev".  Quite the opposite of the 200+ team that Avalanche are.

Falls in line with the eShop push that we've been hearing about recently, pretty much.

Kresnik said:

This statement doesn't exclude what Avalanche said.  It's quite possible that for them Nintendo have been difficult to get in contact with; but for a smaller team it has been a different experience.

Especially since the first line is "We are a tiny indie dev".  Quite the opposite of the 200+ team that Avalanche are.

Falls in lin with the eShop push that we've been hearing about recently, pretty much.

Possible, but how would Nintendo not try to help bigger devs if they're ready to bend over backwards for small ones (per article in OP).

It makes no lick of sense to me...

Around the Network

It could be Avalanche is referring to a couple of years ago; Nintendo's great indie policies are a pretty recent development.

happydolphin said:
Kresnik said:

Falls in lin with the eShop push that we've been hearing about recently, pretty much.

Possible, but how would Nintendo not try to help bigger devs if they're ready to bend over backwards for small ones (per article in OP).

It makes no lick of sense to me...

Thing is, there are devlopers out there that "hate" Microsoft, others "hate" Nintendo and yet others "hate" Sony.  It could simply be that they didn't want to work with Nintendo.  The other thing to look at is Indie developers are gettign a bit spoiled with the huge Android and iOS base out there.  10 years ago, most of these developers would have jumped at the chance to release a game for a system with a 3m user base.  Now they look at the mobile base that's in the 100's of millions.

Stop hating and start playing.

happydolphin said:

Some devs think that working with Microsoft is terrible and some think that it's good. That doesn't mean that one of them is lying. They just have/had different experiences.

Talal said:

Some devs think that working with Microsoft is terrible and some think that it's good. That doesn't mean that one of them is a liar. They just have/had different experiences.

This is not about the general experience, it's about Nintendo's availability. I believe it's black on white, they're available or they're not.

happydolphin said:
Talal said:

Some devs think that working with Microsoft is terrible and some think that it's good. That doesn't mean that one of them is a liar. They just have/had different experiences.

This is not about the general experience, it's about Nintendo's availability. I believe it's black on white, they're available or their not.

Of course it's not black or white.  As someone who deals with company PR it's definitely on a person by person basis.  You might get lucky and find someone that's super easy to get a hold of and always willing to help and then if they leave for a different company the person that replaces them may never return your calls.  You can't just say, "oh 2 companies had a good experience so that means Nintendo is always available".  Even if you could you're going to have to prove first that the two indie devs that you're probably hearing about for the first time today are more believable than Avalanche.