By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA’s “Unprecedented Partnership” with Nintendo and Other Fairy Tales...

pokoko said:
Honestly stopped reading when this guy presented an insane and unsubstantiated rumor from reddit as plausible.

Try reading the rest of the article. It explains WHY that rumor could be plausible. Dismissing the entire thing because you don't feel like entertaining the idea even for a second is childish. 

It's painfully obvious something happened between Nintendo and EA. It couldn't be a hardware thing because like I said, it isn't like EA....one of the biggest publishers around.....didn't have Orbis and Durango dev kits back in June. With the proper cutbacks, there isn't anything the PS4/720 can do that is absolutely impossible on the Wii U. If they were so worried about Mass Effect sales, why cannibalize the ever-loving crap out of it? Why not do a port of the Trilogy to begin with? If EA was helping with the OS, it could explain why some people believe it was "half baked" at launch. It is entirely possible that Nintendo had to throw it together in a hurry .

Osc89 said:

What about the SNES-CD? When Nintendo let Sony produce the CD add-on for the SNES and produce a Sony console compatible with SNES cartridges the deal was all in place. They even let Sony announce the console before revealing their Philips partnership, so they definitely aren't above leading a company on.

It's not like everything was fine and dandy between Sony and Nintendo regarding the SNES-CD. They clashed over the licensing constantly, if Sony thought "Everything it fine" they were fools. Not only that, but the two companies still tried to work things out after CES. Even though they reached an agreement that would allow Nintendo to retain control over the software (the main issue during the partnership), Sony was still too upset and went ahead and made their own console.  

Yamauchi was also one tough sonovabitch but he is no longer in charge. 

Lyrikalstylez said:

It's amusing seeing people blatantly consider 3rd party's who aren't developing on Wii u as garbage and automatically get blamed by its funny fans...how about turning that hate to the company that made this happen, dare I say it......Nintendo!

I couldn't care less that Avalanche/Deep Silver/likely Bethesda/whoever else aren't planning on developing for the Wii U. I can get those games on the PS4 whenever I end up getting that. This is purely about EA and how they went from an "unprecedented partnership" and saying they were "supporting" the Wii U "the first next-generation platform" on the market, to "Gen 4 is yet to come" and thats where they were putting their time, effort and money. I didn't like EA before any of this went down, so it's not some Nintendo fan filled rage towards a company that isn't supporting a system. This is EA being EA. If they pulled the same crap with Sony or MS, you would see 10x the amount of articles concerning the subject. But since it's Nintendo "Oh it's their fault. The hardware is 7 years old and can't handle the engines!"

No.

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
S.Peelman said:
Osc89 said:

The article says they had this "unprecedented partnership" from E3 2011 until somewhere between June and September of the following year. EA wouldn't have done this (as well as giving them free advice, lots of support and going on stage at E3) for no reason. They must have believed Origin was going on the Wii U, but how could EA think Origin was going on the Wii U for over a year unless Nintendo said it was? Nintendo must have had a deal prepared, or were at the very least leading EA on.

I don't pretend to know what went on, but no way is this on Nintendo. Nintendo would never ever give any outside party such control over one of their products, or even alluded to it being a possibility. They never done that and they weren't going to start now.

If EA really did believe they would get a foot in somehow, they were seriously kidding themselves.

What about the SNES-CD? When Nintendo let Sony produce the CD add-on for the SNES and produce a Sony console compatible with SNES cartridges the deal was all in place. They even let Sony announce the console before revealing their Philips partnership, so they definitely aren't above leading a company on.

That was still a different situation though; Sony wouldn't get control over the SNES. Licencing some other company to use your tech for a different product and an optional add-on for your own is not the same as having one fully control one of the most important elements of your flagship product.

I'm not sure about the exact time-line, but it was my understanding no signatures were set at the time Sony announced their console and negotiations were already uneasy. I agree that Nintendo should've been a little more honorable in the way they 'dumped' Sony and went with Philips. Considering the course of history afterwards, you'd think Nintendo learned their lesson .

Osc89 said:
JEMC said:

**snip**

The article says they had this "unprecedented partnership" from E3 2011 until somewhere between June and September of the following year. EA wouldn't have done this (as well as giving them free advice, lots of support and going on stage at E3) for no reason. They must have believed Origin was going on the Wii U, but how could EA think Origin was going on the Wii U for over a year unless Nintendo said it was? Nintendo must have had a deal prepared, or were at the very least leading EA on.

Relations were broken before E3 2012. Just remember who appeared on stage during Nintendo's E3 conference: the CEOs of Warner and Ubisoft. After being present at their 2011 conference EA was absent during their 2012 one. Strong partnership? Not any more.

And remember that we are still going by the rumor that it was caused by the use or not of Origin, something that we still don't know for sure. How could EA thought that Nintendo would agree to use Origin? I don't know.

What if the problem was that the initial deal stated that Nintendo would allow EA to include Origin for their games but then they tried to force every game to use Origin "because they could use it to chat with their friends even while playing different games" and Nintendo said no?

What if EA tried use Origin to link games/discs with users to prevent the second hand and Nintendo was against it?

What if it was Nintendo that changed their mind and said no to allow EA to use Origin for their games?

Since no one has said anything, we don't know what happened, who did what and who's fault is all this.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It is all conjecture at the moment.But we can safely assume that something happened. We don't know who is in fault, it could very well be nintendo's throwing shit at EA's face. But looking at EA's behavior, PR bullshit and reputation, i know where i am pointing the finger. Anyone want to take bets. predicting who is at fault?

RicardJulianti said:

It's not like everything was fine and dandy between Sony and Nintendo regarding the SNES-CD. They clashed over the licensing constantly, if Sony thought "Everything it fine" they were fools. Not only that, but the two companies still tried to work things out after CES. Even though they reached an agreement that would allow Nintendo to retain control over the software (the main issue during the partnership), Sony was still too upset and went ahead and made their own console.  

Yamauchi was also one tough sonovabitch but he is no longer in charge. 

I'm not saying Nintendo were the bad guys with the SNES-CD thing, just that they made mistakes. I'm saying that in this EA case a similar thing may have happened, when they ended up going down a road that would give EA too much control and didn't know how to back out gracefully.

S.Peelman said:
That was still a different situation though; Sony wouldn't get control over the SNES. Licencing some other company to use your tech for a different product and an optional add-on for your own is not the same as having one fully control one of the most important elements of your flagship product.

I'm not sure about the exact time-line, but it was my understanding no signatures were set at the time Sony announced their console and negotiations were already uneasy. I agree that Nintendo should've been a little more honorable in the way they 'dumped' Sony and went with Philips. Considering the course of history afterwards, you'd think Nintendo learned their lesson .

If the SNES-CD format had taken off if would have been like letting another company make the console, which is probably why they changed their mind eventually. And with the Sony thing, even without signatures they let them believe that the partnership was happening, which they may have done again with EA. Still I'm glad it didn't happen, although I can definitely live without EA making a console...

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
Lyrikalstylez said:

It's amusing seeing people blatantly consider 3rd party's who aren't developing on Wii u as garbage and automatically get blamed by its funny fans...how about turning that hate to the company that made this happen, dare I say it......Nintendo!

I have noticed this. Most recently with Avalanche. But in this case EA is deserving, in my oppinion

Mr Khan said:
pokoko said:
Honestly stopped reading when this guy presented an insane and unsubstantiated rumor from reddit as plausible.

It's better than the lunacy that suggests that EA is perfectly justified in all of this.

No, it's not.  Let's forget how crazy the rumor is, the idea that EA was somehow ready to take over Nintendo's online infrastructure months before the Wii U shipped, or that EA had made all these plans dependent on the basis that they would control the Nintendo online store without bothering to get approval from Nintendo themselves.  All of that is nuts from a practical standpoint, but let's put that aside.

That people are grasping at straws by trusting an anonymous reddit poster that claims to have knowledge of what was said at a meeting between Nintendo and EA in Japan is what gets me.  People are just taking this as truth without any kind of proof.  Never mind that it makes zero sense; why are people putting faith in it when there is no evidence whatsoever?

There is nothing about this that fits well with reality.  It would be a nightmare to implement and there would be all kinds of problems and details to work out.  It's the kind of arrangement that would take years to hammer out in terms of logistics.

What I'm getting from all of this is that people believe it because they want to believe it.  It takes all responsibility away from Nintendo and puts it on EA.  We get instant Jedi and Sith.  Yes, it would account for the situation now, but you can always easily make up explainations after the fact.  A child can do that.  What if someone made up a rumor that said EA was angry at Nintendo because Nintendo was giving Activision a much better promotional deal with their Call of Duty franchise?  Would we instantly believe that without proof?

I don't know what happened between EA and Nintendo.  Personally, I think it does have to do with Origin and how it works from within EA games.  My guess is that Nintendo won't give EA the same kind of freedom that Microsoft and Sony have agreed upon.  That, I think, would be the most logical possibility.

However, that anyone in the gaming media is taking that rumor and just running with it, that's kind of sad.

JEMC said:
Relations were broken before E3 2012. Just remember who appeared on stage during Nintendo's E3 conference: the CEOs of Warner and Ubisoft. After being present at their 2011 conference EA was absent during their 2012 one. Strong partnership? Not any more.

And remember that we are still going by the rumor that it was caused by the use or not of Origin, something that we still don't know for sure. How could EA thought that Nintendo would agree to use Origin? I don't know.

What if the problem was that the initial deal stated that Nintendo would allow EA to include Origin for their games but then they tried to force every game to use Origin "because they could use it to chat with their friends even while playing different games" and Nintendo said no?

What if EA tried use Origin to link games/discs with users to prevent the second hand and Nintendo was against it?

What if it was Nintendo that changed their mind and said no to allow EA to use Origin for their games?

Since no one has said anything, we don't know what happened, who did what and who's fault is all this.

You are completely right, it could have been all sorts of things that EA wanted out of this. But something got them on stage at E3 and throw so much support to Nintendo, and whatever it was Nintendo let them believe it. EA are almost certainly bad guys in this, because they are generally pretty terrible, but Nintendo must have made some mistakes here. I don't think it is ok to just jump on the "Nintendo is perfect, Wii U doing badly because of everyone else" train every time.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Both companies probably fucked up somewhere. But one is acting childish and they other is carrying on.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

pokoko said:
Mr Khan said:
pokoko said:

It's better than the lunacy that suggests that EA is perfectly justified in all of this.

No, it's not.  Let's forget how crazy the rumor is, the idea that EA was somehow ready to take over Nintendo's online infrastructure months before the Wii U shipped, or that EA had made all these plans dependent on the basis that they would control the Nintendo online store without bothering to get approval from Nintendo themselves.  All of that is nuts from a practical standpoint, but let's put that aside.

That people are grasping at straws by trusting an anonymous reddit poster that claims to have knowledge of what was said at a meeting between Nintendo and EA in Japan is what gets me.  People are just taking this as truth without any kind of proof.  Never mind that it makes zero sense; why are people putting faith in it when there is no evidence whatsoever?

There is nothing about this that fits well with reality.  It would be a nightmare to implement and there would be all kinds of problems and details to work out.  It's the kind of arrangement that would take years to hammer out in terms of logistics.

What I'm getting from all of this is that people believe it because they want to believe it.  It takes all responsibility away from Nintendo and puts it on EA.  We get instant Jedi and Sith.  Yes, it would account for the situation now, but you can always easily make up explainations after the fact.  A child can do that.  What if someone made up a rumor that said EA was angry at Nintendo because Nintendo was giving Activision a much better promotional deal with their Call of Duty franchise?  Would we instantly believe that without proof?

I don't know what happened between EA and Nintendo.  Personally, I think it does have to do with Origin and how it works from within EA games.  My guess is that Nintendo won't give EA the same kind of freedom that Microsoft and Sony have agreed upon.  That, I think, would be the most logical possibility.

However, that anyone in the gaming media is taking that rumor and just running with it, that's kind of sad.

Again....read the entire article before you start talking as if you have. There is one (1) paragraph about the supposed Origin rumor, and it isn't mentioned again. It's not like I am basing the entire argument around EA wanting Origin integrated. I don't bring it up later and say anything remotely close to "See? It IS true!"

You can even ignore that paragraph entirely, supplimenting your personal theory on what happened and everything still holds true. But don't try to dismiss the entire article because you don't like one theory. EA games still require an Origin account, so it's not as if Nintendo isn't letting them use their proprietary stuff for their games. 

The fact of the matter is, SOMETHING happened between the two and EA is full of hippocrites. THAT is the point of the article.