By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - the xbox 360 successor will be.....

Well they have to think of something quick, (not a new console, just something that people want, like free xbox live)before they lose this generation, which I think they have already lost.

^_^

Around the Network

i think they will hold it for 6 years and release a successor but will still support 360 for a year after its successor

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

crumas2 said:
HappySqurriel said:
One of the main ways Microsoft has been able to attract third party development to the XBox and XBox 360 is by producing a development environment that is so similar to a PC development environment. Although the rate has slowed, PC developers continue to take advantage of newer hardware and in the near future the XBox 360 will fall below the Minimum Requirements of many (and eventually most) PC games; at this point in time there will be very few "automatic" ports of PC games towards the XBox 360, and third party support will seem to dry up (as it did with the original XBox).

I've heard this theory before.  While I'm not contesting it, I would be interested to see a graph over the original Xbox's life that shows 3rd party game release rates.  In other words, did PC ports play a minor or a major role in the 3rd party lineup for the xbox? 

1. Halo: Combat Evolved *
  2. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack *
  3. Halo 2 *
  4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic *
  5. Ninja Gaiden Black
  6. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory *
  7. Burnout 3: Takedown
  8. Project Gotham Racing 2
  9. Forza Motorsport
  10. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time *
  11. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell *
  12. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas *
  13. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow *
  14. Ninja Gaiden
  15. Soul Calibur II
  16. NCAA Football 2004
  17. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 *
  19. ESPN NFL 2K5
  20. Psychonauts *
  21. Burnout Revenge  
  22. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition *
  23. World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 International *
  24. SSX 3
  25. NFL 2K3 *
  26. Half-Life 2 *
  27. Madden NFL 2003 *
  28. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  29. Madden NFL 2005 *
  30. ESPN NFL Football
  31. Jade Empire *
  32. World Series Baseball 2K3
  33. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 *
  34. Madden NFL 2004 *
  35. NBA Street Vol. 2
  36. MVP Baseball 2004
  37. Burnout 2: Point of Impact
  38. NCAA Football 2003
  39. Rallisport Challenge 2
  40. NCAA Football 2005
  41. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 *
  42. Beyond Good & Evil *
  43. World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 *
  44. Top Spin *
  45. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay *
  46. NCAA Football 07
  47. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 *
  48. Fight Night Round 2
  49. TimeSplitters 2
  50. Madden NFL 2002 *

Top 50 ranked XBox games on Gamerankings.com, bold games only appeared on the XBox and games with red stars appeared on the PC. If you only looked at third party "Exclusive" XBox games you will notice that a large portion of them were released to the PC.

godf said:
I wouldn't be surprised by a 5 year life cycle.

I think if the PS3 overtakes the 360, it's replacement will be moved up; if the 360 stays ahead, they'd want to leave this generation a while longer to run.

It could be a real pain for sony if just as they finally get the PS3 profitable, microsoft then releases a significantly more powerful console. Screwing over sony is as big a motivation for microsoft as making a profit is.

They don't want to risk a dominant playstation taking the PC's place for domestic multimedia purposes.

At the moment, I don't think MS could really produce a console more powerful than the PS3, not unless they want to put themselves exactly where sony did, with a huge price tag. And to produce a console more powerful they'd probably have to leave the traditional console CPU, and explore uncharted waters like Sony did, just pissing off developers, who would then begin to focus on the PS3.

I think microsoft will toss out the next xbox around the time sony becomes profitable on the ps3. Microsoft has bigger pockets than Sony does and the fact that their console is breaking even now or just netting them a small loss doesn't seem to phase them that much.

On the same side the xbox line is really a way to keep the company rounded and expand into other areas. Microsoft has shown very often that their expansions may not be profitable or even logical, yet they keep going after them and usually they at least break even.

Lastly is since technology keeps dropping in price and increasing in speed they could mostly make the new xbox run on similar processors but just toss in a much nicer graphics processor which should improve things substantaly(just my guess there)

Around the Network

MS will go the way of Sega and start making games for Wii and PS3.

Runs from assults and attacks!!!!

Username2324 said:
godf said:
I wouldn't be surprised by a 5 year life cycle.

I think if the PS3 overtakes the 360, it's replacement will be moved up; if the 360 stays ahead, they'd want to leave this generation a while longer to run.

It could be a real pain for sony if just as they finally get the PS3 profitable, microsoft then releases a significantly more powerful console. Screwing over sony is as big a motivation for microsoft as making a profit is.

They don't want to risk a dominant playstation taking the PC's place for domestic multimedia purposes.

At the moment, I don't think MS could really produce a console more powerful than the PS3, not unless they want to put themselves exactly where sony did, with a huge price tag. And to produce a console more powerful they'd probably have to leave the traditional console CPU, and explore uncharted waters like Sony did, just pissing off developers, who would then begin to focus on the PS3.

Right now they couldn't but in 2010, MS could build a $300 console (and not lose much on it) that would absolutely annihilate the PS3's capabilities.

1GB RAM, 512/1GB GPU @ 800-1000mhz, 4/8 core processor @ 4ghz, etc. etc.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

M$ working on their base more their succes now
we can see this on japan ..
and last gen. on NA

and last gen. on NA

and last gen. on NA