By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Waited a long time to play it - Zak and Wiki, what a game!!

famousringo said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
I have a problem. Due to my taste in games, I know I will not like this game. However, it's made by Capcom, my favorite company in all of gaming. I don't know if I should buy it or not. I like to support my favorite devs, but should I go out buying a game I don't want? So far I have bought every Capcom game released this (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil 4, and I will buy Devil May Cry day one), but I'm a bit unsure about this game.

When in doubt, buy Zack & Wiki anyway!

Besides, it's only $30 in NA.

Actually is only $30 in the US.  Here in Canada it's still $45 ($40 at Walmart)

Around the Network

It's $30 in ebgames canada

wfz said:
@Shio, not everyone plays PC games...and point and click adventure/puzzle games are unheard of on consoles as far as I know. Plus this game has such a charm to it. While I haven't played any other point and click puzzle/adventure game in my life, I loved this game.

I hope they make a sequel!

He said, "They don't make many puzzle/adventures anymore". Well the Wii is a very recent platform so he couldn't just be talking about the Wii, and the consoles in general always had a scarce amount of adventure titles, so the genre was never dieing there. 

His statement only makes sense if he includes PC games, so that is why I mentioned some awesome adventures releasing this year on PC. 

and I thank you for that shio as I seriouslly may just take a copy of this list and start playing this genre again on my PC as I only realise how much i've missed them.

shio said:
wfz said:
@Shio, not everyone plays PC games...and point and click adventure/puzzle games are unheard of on consoles as far as I know. Plus this game has such a charm to it. While I haven't played any other point and click puzzle/adventure game in my life, I loved this game.

He said, "They don't make many puzzle/adventures anymore". Well the Wii is a very recent platform so he couldn't just be talking about the Wii, and the consoles in general always had a scarce amount of adventure titles, so the genre was never dieing there.

His statement only makes sense if he includes PC games, so that is why I mentioned some awesome adventures releasing this year on PC.

Hmm you're right. Maybe "anymore" was a word slip on his part. If he did mean it that way though, then yeah I have no idea what pont he's making as well.

Around the Network

@Gamerace

EB games has it in Canada for $30. I just got it the other day.

Gamerace said:
famousringo said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
I have a problem. Due to my taste in games, I know I will not like this game. However, it's made by Capcom, my favorite company in all of gaming. I don't know if I should buy it or not. I like to support my favorite devs, but should I go out buying a game I don't want? So far I have bought every Capcom game released this (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil 4, and I will buy Devil May Cry day one), but I'm a bit unsure about this game.

When in doubt, buy Zack & Wiki anyway!

Besides, it's only $30 in NA.

Actually is only $30 in the US. Here in Canada it's still $45 ($40 at Walmart)

As Izaaz and Paul say, it's $30 at EB. I've also seen it at Future Shop for $30.

So much for Walmart always having the best price. :P 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

wfz said:
shio said:
wfz said:

Hmm you're right. Maybe "anymore" was a word slip on his part. If he did mean it that way though, then yeah I have no idea what pont he's making as well.

There are still point and click adventure games today, but they are scarce, not always the highest quality, not always well written, and almost never (if ever) on a console.

Z&W is all of those things and that's why it's such a big deal.  I love point and click adventures, it's probably my favorite genre, but the genre had been more or less dead for years save for a few games and hopefully Z&W will revive it.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that my one-line comment had inspired such a debate.

I was referring to a certain standard of quality, challenge and humour in puzzle/adventures. The genre has never been dead, as the development of these games tends to be pretty cheap, but it has certainly passed its heyday as a major videogame genre.

Anybody here ever play one of the Discworld games? Brilliant humour, excellent voice work, and some retardedly hard puzzles. It had a pretty buggy release on the PS1.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

twesterm said:
wfz said:
shio said:
wfz said:

There are still point and click adventure games today, but they are scarce, not always the highest quality, not always well written, and almost never (if ever) on a console.

Z&W is all of those things and that's why it's such a big deal. I love point and click adventures, it's probably my favorite genre, but the genre had been more or less dead for years save for a few games and hopefully Z&W will revive it.

There is a revival of the Adventure Genre this year, on PC, with +50 titles coming it's way. I think one of the big reasons (and perhaps the main one) was the release of Sam & Max: S1, by Telltale Games, which proved that it's viable for adventure games to succeed through the dozens of Content Delivery sites, which could maybe even turn a bigger profit than the old 90's for some.

The Home consoles however should pretty much stay the same, except the Wii. The Wii will get alot of ports (already is) which will help cash in some more from the games. On this front, Zack & Wiki is proving it (though no port for PC yet)

This is the best chance the adventure genre has for a revival, ever. Content Delivery + Wii = Happy for all.