By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Mishandled Franchises

Every Rare franchise since Microsoft bought them. Star Fox hasn't been the same since Miyamoto insists on having fox run around with a laser gun.

Around the Network
Billjw said:
Every Rare franchise since Microsoft bought them. Star Fox hasn't been the same since Miyamoto insists on having fox run around with a laser gun.

Rare isn't rare anymore, it's been essentially nothin more than a name since the original developers left.

mtu9356 said:
Billjw said:

Rare isn't rare anymore, it's been essentially nothin more than a name since the original developers left.

Agreed, Nintendo should acquire some of those franchises like jet force Gemini

guitar hero, tony hawk, desert strike, C&C, magic carpet, general chaos, road rash

Valkyria Chronicles...could've been a great franchise

Around the Network

Final Fantasy games have lost their magic and soul. Assassin's Creed isn't much about assassinations, and its battles are way too easy so there's no reason to avoid them.

And then there's Dynasty Warriors. Ngh. Lately they've been ignoring the fantastic historical background more and more, instead bringing their own poor storyline to the series. They've ignored the tactical possibilites more and more and instead focused on player vs. everything even though their battle system isn't good enough for so heavy focus on direct combat. And then there's the fact that each game in the series seems to be getting less and less worthwhile content, yet they wish to release spin-offs/expansions. I hate what they're doing with the series when there's so much potential.

Thats what so great about this gen. Franchises that I have always considered shit have not translated very well this gen, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Devil May cry, Final Fantasy and rightfully so. Now more worthy games can earn the spotlight.

Sony in general can not carry a franchise for shit. Motorstorm, Resistance, Socom, Tekken, Ratchet & Clank and most recently God of War Ascension have all showed some degree of excellence or simply just promise. Now look at them.

probably resident evil and the last twisted metal game. I doubt there will be another twisted metal next gen,because of the last game.

mtu9356 said:
Mr Khan said:
We all love Mario Kart 64, but that's largely due to nostalgiavision. Objectively, it's probably the weakest in the series

I'd say Metroid, but one misstep does not a mishandled franchise make. There's just a lot of trepidation in that fandom about what they'll do next, or more scarily still, when they'll do it. The 1994-2002 gap weighs on our minds.

I would have to disagree with u.

Personally I don't like how they changed and nerfed the effectiveness the turning and boosting starting with double dash.  Learning how to turn and boost was a key part of 64 and was the reason that skilled players had an advantage over others.

The item pickup rate wasn't perfect in 64 but the items weren't nearly as op as in Mario kart wii and double dash.  Some of the items u would get when in late places could put you in last to first in seconds (chomp chain comes to mind).  Reducing the skill and increasing the chance is a huge turnoff in a racing game for me.

To each his own, but I disagree with you about 64, DD was much better imho, though I wasn't a fan of wii, that was only because I was a noob and thought you coulnd't use a gamecube controller....lol, but 7 is really fun, and probably the most balanced of any mario kart.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Resident Evil by a MILE! but I also feel that LittleBigPlanet is kinda being mishandled Karting needed more time in development.