By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision Boss Bobby Kotick gets an 800% raise and Analysts aren't happy

Is Bobby Kotick over paid?

Yes 200 75.76%

I dont know, I don't analyze this stuff 34 12.88%

No his pay is fine 30 11.36%

Total:264
Alby_da_Wolf said:
J_Allard said:
Yeah, lets pretend as if there were no extenuating circumstances surrounding Infinity Ward LOL.

I know if my employer caught me sneaking around, sabotaging their product, and trying to strike deals with competitors, they'd not want to pay me either.

But you perfectly know Activision didn't punish just West and Zampella (that countersued and later reached a settlement), but it also withheld payment of tens million $ due bonuses to many other Infinity Ward employees that were totally innocent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward#Infinity_Ward_Employee_Group_v._Activision

While witholding any payment to West and Zampella until a settlement was reached was totally correct, forcing other honest employee to sue to obtain what was due was greedy, fishy and unfair, and that 800% raise to Skrotick make it look even more so in comparison.

And while I'm a fan of physical support for games, I think there is at least one big advantage in digital download, that it will allow more and more devs to become independent and not be forced anymore to accept all this crap.

Of course they didn't just punish those two. Those two weren't the only ones guilty in Activision's eyes. Funny, you don't see any Treyarch bonus bickering going on and their games are just as popular as the MW franchise. Some bad things happened at IW and if affected a lot of people.

But it is telling that 38 employees sued for around $100,000,000 in bonuses due to them. So yeah, back to the original point, seems to me that they are taken care of rather well. No reason why the guy in charge shouldn't be as well.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
J_Allard said:
Yeah, lets pretend as if there were no extenuating circumstances surrounding Infinity Ward LOL.

I know if my employer caught me sneaking around, sabotaging their product, and trying to strike deals with competitors, they'd not want to pay me either.

But you perfectly know Activision didn't punish just West and Zampella (that countersued and later reached a settlement), but it also withheld payment of tens million $ due bonuses to many other Infinity Ward employees that were totally innocent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward#Infinity_Ward_Employee_Group_v._Activision

While witholding any payment to West and Zampella until a settlement was reached was totally correct, forcing other honest employee to sue to obtain what was due was greedy, fishy and unfair, and that 800% raise to Skrotick make it look even more so in comparison.

And while I'm a fan of physical support for games, I think there is at least one big advantage in digital download, that it will allow more and more devs to become independent and not be forced anymore to accept all this crap.

Of course they didn't just punish those two. Those two weren't the only ones guilty in Activision's eyes. Funny, you don't see any Treyarch bonus bickering going on and their games are just as popular as the MW franchise. Some bad things happened at IW and if affected a lot of people.

But it is telling that 38 employees sued for around $100,000,000 in bonuses due to them. So yeah, back to the original point, seems to me that they are taken care of rather well. No reason why the guy in charge shouldn't be as well.

Activision already paid them $42M after they sued, but that didn't settle the dispute yet. So their complaints must be grounded, at least up to a significant degree.

About Kotick's raise, I can understand that his raise can be higher than the simple company's growth, as he obtained it during a serious economic crisis, but +800% is really beyond what could have been correctly evaluating this factor. And should it be totally correct, then CoD's dev studios, being the main responsibles of these results, even more than Kotick, would deserve a raise at least as big.

Finally, again about the lawsuits, are they settled yet? I couldn't find recent news about it, but what if all this will cost Activision more than what was originally due?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!