By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: upping FY operating income, net income and sales

Esmicksee said:
huiii said:

Huh? it does (or i'm haveing a knot in my brain). What's the counter account (is that the right word in english?) for the value added? I mean where does the aditional vale go? should be "extrordinary profit" or something shouldn't it?

Well maby it was. I'm all for selling assets if it helps them focus on something. and i agree the next 2 years are critical.

If you have a building down as £100m, and the valuer says its worth £140m:

Assets increases by £40m (Debit Propery, Plant, Equip)

Capital increases by £40m (Credit the revalutaion reserve).

Yea... if they return to profit shortly, then it'll be alright. If they don't, they'll need to downsize/take more radical measures. Think it all depends on whether they can fix their TV division.

Oh. you're probably right. I forgot about that. I always think that it's the oposite of write-off's. But of corse i'm forgetting about the reserves.

Around the Network
Proclus said:
So, what happens next time when they don't get extra monies from selling buildings? Are they expecting to profit next Q?

@party-poppers --> selling assets does not count in operating result, which rose as well

ryuzaki57 said:
Proclus said:
So, what happens next time when they don't get extra monies from selling buildings? Are they expecting to profit next Q?

@party-poppers --> selling assets does not count in operating result, which rose as well

I know that normally it doesn't, but if you read this http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/25/sony-earnings-revison-idUSL3N0DC5EB20130425 it says that under Sony's accounting rules, such gains are recored 'as operating profit'. 

Sony's confident huh

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

This is direct from the SONY Q2 2013 report:

"For all segments excluding the Financial Services segment, 117.8 billion yen (1,511 million U.S. dollars) was used,
a decrease of 37.8 billion yen, or 24.3% year-on-year. This decrease was primarily due to the increase of cash
inflow, year-on-year, resulting from the sale of the chemical products related business and the sale of Sony’s equity
interest in Sharp Display Products Corporation, partially offset by the increase in cash outflow, year-on-year,
resulting from the acquisition of Gaikai Inc., included in other investing activities, and the investment in EMI,
included in payments for investments and advances."

Sales of property and cost of acquisitions are both recorded here, huiii

Around the Network

Nice

theprof00 said:
This is direct from the SONY Q2 2013 report:

"For all segments excluding the Financial Services segment, 117.8 billion yen (1,511 million U.S. dollars) was used,
a decrease of 37.8 billion yen, or 24.3% year-on-year. This decrease was primarily due to the increase of cash
inflow, year-on-year, resulting from the sale of the chemical products related business and the sale of Sony’s equity
interest in Sharp Display Products Corporation, partially offset by the increase in cash outflow, year-on-year,
resulting from the acquisition of Gaikai Inc., included in other investing activities, and the investment in EMI,
included in payments for investments and advances."

Sales of property and cost of acquisitions are both recorded here, huiii

This seems to be about the chash flow, not earnings. Aquisitions simlpy don't have any effect on profits.

And of corse you'll find it somewhere in the report. They are obliged to report this stuff by law i think.