Forums - Gaming Discussion - Over-rated/Under-rated games

Tagged games:

Gran Turismo 5 = underrated.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:

Last Story is under-appreciatted.

---

I definatly recommend Project Sylpheed. It got bad ratings because it's really short (4-6 hours), but it's really great for that time. I liked it better then the Gamecube StarFox games, and the Space Fighter scenes in Halo 4/Reach. I bought my copy for $5, and it's definatly worth it. It's a shame how this game gets ignored.

How's the story, character depth and customization?

It's been a while since I beat this game. Basically the game mechanics are Starfox, but battles are all free roam, and battles feel a bit more intense. You have a couple options for weapons too, and on a gameplay front, it's polished.

The story isn't anything special, but it's not bad. It's a pretty generic JRPG plot, but it's a JRPG plot, not some weird tacky crap plot which you get in a shooter. I believe the game focused a bit on betrayal and friendship. It kinda felt like Gundam Wing, but a lot shorter, and thus less in depth.

The two characters I remember, remind me of the two best friends in Drakengard. Actually the games plot I recall is very similar to that alternate plot in Drakengard.

As for customization, there isn't much. The game is linear, but it's a nice experience. Put it this way, if you liked Last Story for $40 as a 20 hour game, you will enjoy playing this 5 hour game for $10. It's well worth the $5 Euro, and when you beat it, you can understand why this game only got 6/10 scores. As a $60 game, there just isn't enough content, but for $5 this feels like one of the most in depth arcade games ever.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Overrated
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Honestly I have nothing against the game, for the most part it's a solid game and it has tons of replay value. But today I don't see what is so mind blowing about OOT. It was an innovative game for sure but future Zelda games I feel have improved on the elements that OOT introduced.

Underrated
Persona 4 Arena and honorable mention to Skull Girls

Easily one of the most enjoyable fighting games I have played and one of the easiest to get into while maintaining a high skill level. It's very balanced and all the characters are a blast to play with, sadly it has been over shadowed by other fighting games.

Underrated: Valkyria Chronicles, Brutal Legend, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Warhawk.

Overrated : Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age 2, Bioshock, Battlefield 3, Skyrim.

Jay520 said:
Michael-5 said:
bananaking21 said:
over rated
- batman AA (extremely over rated!)

Why is batman over-rated? 

I thought Batman was amazing, it's the only game where you play a good guy, and you never kill anyone. It's amazing how well they managed to pull that off, but the series is getting milked a bit.

2 games...milked

seems legit.

3 when Origin comes out, and 3 games in 4 years is a bit much.

However I'm not complaining about Batman, they have a good engine, and if they want to release it on PS3/360 with any reasonable amount of success, they had to release one this fall. This is nothing like Halo or Assassin's Creed.

ethomaz said:
Gran Turismo 5 = underrated.

This is where your Avatar is perfect!

gooch_destroyer said:
Oh and I forgot about pokemon as an overrated game

Say wha?

Why because it doesn't deserve the ridiculous sales it gets, or because it doesn't deserve the 8-9/10 scores each main game gets?

If it's the latter I have to disagree. While a lot of new Pokemon are unimaginative, and lame, the mechanics are still solid, and I'm really looking forward to the new game.....even though I feel they ruined Pokemon by making MewTwo evolve...or transform.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
bananaking21 said:
over rated
- Assassins creed 3
- battlefield
- skyrim

under rated
To The Moon
Max Payne
dead island (to some extent)

thats all i can think of now

Why is batman over-rated? I get the others (except Max Payne, that series is really short, and it's gotten a good amount of positive hype).

I thought Batman was amazing, it's the only game where you play a good guy, and you never kill anyone. It's amazing how well they managed to pull that off, but the series is getting milked a bit.

because the game was utterly boring. yes, i said it. there was some SERIOUS problems.

1- gameplay. yes i know gameplay is praised in the game but i have NO idea why.

A) all i do is press square square square and i beat up everybody

B) platforming is the stupidest thing i ever seen in the game. its like batman is a dumb child when it comes to platforming, its waaaaaaaaay behind the likes of uncharted and assassins creed. its a shame because 

C) HORRIBLE boss fights. HORRIBLE! i mean WTF was THAT! all i do is throw a batarang! are you fucking kidding me?! or that boss fight in the underground swers, yeah that was horrible. walk walk walk, he (forgot his name) jumps out the water, i throw a batarang then he falls in the water, then repeat the same thing. same goes WITH EVERY boss fight. ohh and the scarecrow parts are a simple waste of time.

2) too many plot holes in the story, i mean seriously i tried to enjoy the story and tried to sink my teeth in it, but the story its self kept pushing me away. ohh and that part where batman rides his plain of what ever then it dropes him off at some place and then he is like " ohh i need to go to this other place" ( i played the game oer 2 years ago, sorry i dont remember the details) i mean why the fuck didnt he just use the plain to go to the joker?

3) Dumb AI. yes i know its a lot of games suffer from this but i still didnt like the AI in this game. mostly in the times i needed to play in a stealth way where i attacked people from hanging on top of the room. its just not natural how they acted, and they somehow all have bad eye sight since they lose sight of batman just by jumping around a little

4) worst ending boss fight ever. the game builds up to this from the very start. joker taunting you (which i enjoyed though) and always making you feel like he is one step ahead of you (but somehow he plans this stupid ending) and the boss fight is........ fighting normal people while the joker stands on the edge cheering the cops in the helicopters or what ever, i pull him down the first time and the fucking moron goes up, stands the same place and does the exact same thing. you know what? fuck this game and its stupid desgin, thats what i said to my self back then, and i still stand by it. i honestly never played a boss fight that stupid and bad

The ones that immediately spring to mind are Resistance 3 and Infamous 1 and 2. Infamous 1 and 2 are such unique gems and the sequel especially did some really cool things. It's the first game to have a use for trophies (or achievements) in that it read your trophies for Infamous 1 and applied bonuses based on them. Much more important is that it didn't take away your powers like GoW or something. It let your powers escalate from the first game. I've never had such a feeling of progression especially in an action game. Both games had great endings and some of the best open worlds I've ever seen, yet they have 85 and 83 metas respectively.

Resistance 3 is my favorite FPS of all time. The upgrading weapons and their wacky uniqueness just sets it apart. They give you such variety that the game could've rested on the excellent gameplay they and the varied enemies provide. But it doesn't stop there. The story completely envelopes you and despite the lackluster ending I'm still able to enjoy the sheer atmosphere when I replay it for the umpteenth time. The mine level is one of the scariest and most tense moods I've ever had gaming and the bosses I really liked as a whole.

Also I would have to say Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. This is my favorite game of all time so anything under a 10/10 is underrated and it has an 85 meta. From humor to art style to weapons to villain to just story in general it's the best game in the series and I absolutely adore every second of it. I've never been so happy as when I changed the future in that game and got to see the new world I'd created, and I've never cried tears of joy and sadness so close together before or since that ending. The most enjoyable piece of media I've ever experienced and I can only pray Insomniac goes back to that style and substance after A4O and FFA have tarnished the series.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Michael-5 said:

3 when Origin comes out, and 3 games in 4 years is a bit much.

However I'm not complaining about Batman, they have a good engine, and if they want to release it on PS3/360 with any reasonable amount of success, they had to release one this fall. This is nothing like Halo or Assassin's Creed.

2009, 2011, 2013

Once every two years. That's the norm.

I agree with Bioshock infinite. While the artwork was great and the story and Elizabeth were interesting, it was also full of plot holes, loose ends, labored detours with repetitive gameplay. The skyhook did bring something new but later on the silly loop tracks and linear corridors broke all immersion.

Heavy rain, I can see how you think it's over hyped if you 'beat' it in 1 sitting. Trying out different scenarios was fun and taking my time to soak up the ambience was great. But yes, the gameplay wasn't any better then Fahrenheit.

Recently underrated, I would say WRC 3. Enjoyed it from start to finish, a 64 average is undeserved. I'm happy I imported it from Europe.

bananaking21 said:
Michael-5 said:
bananaking21 said:
over rated
- Assassins creed 3
- battlefield
- skyrim

under rated
To The Moon
Max Payne
dead island (to some extent)

thats all i can think of now

Why is batman over-rated? I get the others (except Max Payne, that series is really short, and it's gotten a good amount of positive hype).

because the game was utterly boring. yes, i said it. there was some SERIOUS problems.

1- gameplay. yes i know gameplay is praised in the game but i have NO idea why.

A) all i do is press square square square and i beat up everybody

B) platforming is the stupidest thing i ever seen in the game. its like batman is a dumb child when it comes to platforming, its waaaaaaaaay behind the likes of uncharted and assassins creed. its a shame because 

C) HORRIBLE boss fights. HORRIBLE! i mean WTF was THAT! all i do is throw a batarang! are you fucking kidding me?! or that boss fight in the underground swers, yeah that was horrible. walk walk walk, he (forgot his name) jumps out the water, i throw a batarang then he falls in the water, then repeat the same thing. same goes WITH EVERY boss fight. ohh and the scarecrow parts are a simple waste of time.

2) too many plot holes in the story, i mean seriously i tried to enjoy the story and tried to sink my teeth in it, but the story its self kept pushing me away. ohh and that part where batman rides his plain of what ever then it dropes him off at some place and then he is like " ohh i need to go to this other place" ( i played the game oer 2 years ago, sorry i dont remember the details) i mean why the fuck didnt he just use the plain to go to the joker?

3) Dumb AI. yes i know its a lot of games suffer from this but i still didnt like the AI in this game. mostly in the times i needed to play in a stealth way where i attacked people from hanging on top of the room. its just not natural how they acted, and they somehow all have bad eye sight since they lose sight of batman just by jumping around a little

4) worst ending boss fight ever. the game builds up to this from the very start. joker taunting you (which i enjoyed though) and always making you feel like he is one step ahead of you (but somehow he plans this stupid ending) and the boss fight is........ fighting normal people while the joker stands on the edge cheering the cops in the helicopters or what ever, i pull him down the first time and the fucking moron goes up, stands the same place and does the exact same thing. you know what? fuck this game and its stupid desgin, thats what i said to my self back then, and i still stand by it. i honestly never played a boss fight that stupid and bad

why don't you tell us how you really feel?   The combat and game in general are pretty easy but it's more about getting the biggest combo and variety in attacks for me.  That's how I challenge myself.  Also the scarecrow parts had some really cool bits and yeah the boss fights in AA are pretty much the lowpoint, but I think AC improved on them a good bit.  The platforming can be clunky but AC does improve on this as well.  In all the game is rough around the edges but the feeling it gives you and the aesthetic of it is very well done imo.  I felt like I was playing a graphic novel for the first time.  To each his own but I feel you really overemphasized the bad parts.  Also yeah lots of plotholes but I'm used to those in superhero stories in every medium lol

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers