By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii's Magic Number -

The Wii is not really supply constrained outside of NA it seems, so extra hardware equals extra NA sales only I think.
However, I am quite certain that Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii globally by about 50$ come fall, and that should certainly spurr more sales outside of NA as well!

Around the Network

The Wii has made up some ground : )

Really if not for the Year over Year increases for PS360 the Wii might have broken 50% market share.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

4.28M from 50% marketshare now...

It's really going to depend on holiday stock whether they can make it this year.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

bigjon there was no need to bump a 4 month old thread.

bigjon said:
Thank you Sqrl-

I am gonna edit and bump it each week and leave all of the Past Magic numbers for people to see the trends.

@Rock_On,

This is his third post in the thread.  It was designed to be an ongoing thread and he just got behind on it, it is not a necro.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I always argued the Wii would hit 50% market share around Oct-Nov this year - but probably not last through the holidays, as its supply constraints start to bite.

As for what numbers it ends up on, and how it goes early next year compared to the 360/PS3... its too early to tell.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
I always argued the Wii would hit 50% market share around Oct-Nov this year - but probably not last through the holidays, as its supply constraints start to bite.

As for what numbers it ends up on, and how it goes early next year compared to the 360/PS3... its too early to tell.

hmm, do you think it really will be supply constraint again?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hawk said:
Summaro400ex said:

When the magic number hits 0 we will have to celebrate with cake!

That cake looks sooo good to me!  I want it now!

The cake is a lie.

Bumped.

If it were not for the 360s recent rebirth I think the Wii would be on the cusp of 50%. I think it will make a run at 50% but fall just short of 50% in 2008.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Your are not a high enough level necromancer to do this.