By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii's Magic Number -

@bigjon

rather than just bumping the thread with an update of what (ps3+Xbox) - wii equals, I think you should also include market share per region, and total market share.

Even though I could easily do all of those myself, since you took it upon yourself to make this thread, I vote you do all 5 calculations every week

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
bigjon said:

1. I based my numbers off weeks in the Year. I just subracted the 10 holiday weeks, so actually my calc ended in mid october, I was giving the 31st as a nice round number.

2. If nintendo stockpiles 360k a month(less then I used in my main post due to the fact there are 4.33 weeks per month) they will have over 3 million Wii in their holiday stockpile in addition to the 2.3+ they get from production, so for 10 weeks that is over 5.5 million "natural Wiis" and another 3 million stockpile. If nintendo can sell 8.5-9 million Wiis, in the 10 week holiday period, I can see the 360/PS3 keeping pace at best. So they will maintain their marketshare they gained in 08 in the holidays season.

I think 09 could be really good for Wii, that is when all of the 3rd party games that were started late will come to fruition and be released.

Well in 2007 PS+360 sold about 7M combined in the last 10 weeks and Wii about 6.3M so if next year was exactly the same (which it won't due to increased monthly supply+stockpile+more airfreight than this year due to higher monthly supply) it would need to be 700k ahead of the 50% mark before the holiday season to keep it so it would need to sell about 6.47M (5.77+0.7) between now and mid-november which I believe will be hard to achieve.

I expect all 3 consoles to sell better this year, especially during the holiday, which would not only make this 700k lead above the 50% mark harder to reach but also make it less likely to be enough.

When I look at last year's yearly sales (about 7.6M PS3 8.1M 360 and 16.3M Wiis) and boost the PS3 and 360 to about 10M each (doable though more probably 9 for one and 9.5-10 for the other) I arrive at a combine 18-20M so the Wii would need to sell 24-26M this year to get 50% (barely) which is possible (24M should be easy with only one production boost, 26 possible but less likely).

So I think it can do it but it depends on it keeping doing as good as last year (i.e. selling everything by the end of the year even with the bigger supply regardless of whether there are patches in space and time where it will be available) and the PS360 not increasing by too much compared to last year which is why I am currently sceptikal.

If MGS4/GT5 and GTA4 do not boost PS3 and PS3/360 sales enough to be significant then it will, otherwise no.

Sri Lumpa here, I lost the space when I lost my profile

Nice thread, will be checking in later in the year and see what the magic number is :)

And amazing cake :D

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

ps360 only outsold the wii during holiday period because of supply constraints

i realize wii will still be constrained this holiday season as well, but if nintendo ups their supply, then they may have enough supply this holiday season to outsell the other 2 combined...it all depends on supply, not demand

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

I like this thread and will love the keep seeing the "magic number".

But still I would like to see ps3 selling well also so overall gaming market would be good. But of course would love to see wii hit 50% market share at one time.

Around the Network

hope the magic number goes into the negatives soon (surpassing it). Wii will dominate!

I dont think it'll happen this year. A little game called GTA 4 might move a few consoles.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think it will be a close call this year. I did not get into guessing how many consoles GTA4 would move. I just stuck with a solid AVERAGE... the summer months will be much lower than this week, but I used this week.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I would put my money on December for 50% share.... I'm sure it will be some time between mid November and end of January (assuming there are no Jan shortages like this year) and December is in the middle of that.

More I think about, I hope the Wii passes the 50% Market before its second birthday... For it to have a 50% after just two years... wow...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut