By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios' next game is a Zelda spinoff

kingofwale said:
What is it? "Links and Donkey Kong at the Shopping Mall"?

sadly, it will probably sell better than TP, just like how Mario and Sonic might outsell Galaxy

Because Retro makes games like those... OH WAIT! They don't! :)

Around the Network

Retro's next game is going to be a Metroid game. They don't know this yet but that's what it's going to be.

They always start projects and then stop them for various reasons and then eventually settle on a Metroid game.

kingofwale said:
What is it? "Links and Donkey Kong at the Shopping Mall"?

sadly, it will probably sell better than TP, just like how Mario and Sonic might outsell Galaxy

Yeah, it's pretty sad that an epic crossover like Mario and Sonic is not only selling well but poised to outsell the entirety of the PS3 library.

Nice try, troll.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I know that this isn't even remotely feasible, but i've always thought a game about what OOTZelda did whilst growing up (as in, her training to be and transition to sheik) would make a good game. When I first heard this rumor, my thought immediately went out to this, as the only possible new character a spinoff could be made of (unless they did a Legends of the Triforce: Ganon's Tale game or soemthing like that).

Unfortunately, chances are somewhere between 99 and 100% that initially, I will be disappointed. Chances are very good I will be impressed by the outcome.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

If there is a spinoff it'll probably be based on Twilight Princess while Zelda Wii will be another new Hryule era.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
I know that this isn't even remotely feasible, but i've always thought a game about what OOTZelda did whilst growing up (as in, her training to be and transition to sheik) would make a good game. When I first heard this rumor, my thought immediately went out to this, as the only possible new character a spinoff could be made of (unless they did a Legends of the Triforce: Ganon's Tale game or soemthing like that).

Unfortunately, chances are somewhere between 99 and 100% that initially, I will be disappointed. Chances are very good I will be impressed by the outcome.

Reason that willl never happen, Zelda's adventure for CD-i

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

No, I don't think a Zelda spin-off is in the works by Retro for a few reasons!

1st. Nintendo EAD usually handles the Zelda series inhouse directly overseen or with the involvement of Shigeru Miyamoto.

2nd. Retro Studios said multiple times they wanted to work on something new, that leads me to believe a spin-off is unlikely.

3rd. Zelda isn't the kind of franchise to thrive with Spin-offs

Now that all being said I think RetroStudios is being placed on IP creation duty. I don't think Nintendo aquired RetroStudios to simply having them polish old franchises. Nintendo bought them because the studio had three projects already underway on the GameCube. RetroStudios showed an ability to create new quality content and that is why they were aquired (My own conclusion)!

Nintendo doesn't just pick anybody up. Nintendo Of America's job is to target the North American audience and Metroid Prime was that title. MetroidPrime was a shooter/adventure and RetroStudios showed an ability to create an A-class shooter.

So what do I think Retro is actually up too, creating a new shooter IP for Nintendo. Nintendo lacks a solid shooter IP and with the Wiimote so fitted for shooters and Nintendo hinting various times that it was build for shooters. It wouldn't make any sense unless Nintendo had some internal plans for their own shooter.

So Retro I'm 80% sure is making the next Halo, Nintendo's Halo! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

twesterm said:
Retro's next game is going to be a Metroid game. They don't know this yet but that's what it's going to be.

They always start projects and then stop them for various reasons and then eventually settle on a Metroid game.

Hahaaha, is that for real? Well I hope they do follow through with their new projects this time, or make a new Metroid game that is more like the 2d ones. I loved the prime series a lot, but I also felt they were missing a lot. And they could have been a lot more moody, darker, and a little creepier.  When I first played Super Metroid years ago, those were 3 destinct feelings I had, and I miss those from this series.

@Avinash: Nintendo will NEVER allow another abomination like that. Besides, they had no control over the cd-i games.

@Topic: How about Zeld-blivion?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

@JoelCool - With a name like Retro, maybe Nintendo did buy them to Have them "polish old franchises." I actually wouldn't be schocked if they did a 2.5D Zelda in the style of LttP for WiiWare. They are good enough to be trusted (and the Oracle games and Minish Cap were not developed by Nintendo), obviously, and it'd make for a nice, (relatively) smaller project to give them a bit of a break before their next big one.

You do not have the right to never be offended.