By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How To Tell If You're a Fanboy

1. You become upset when something you like is questioned. Yes. Very yes. Keeping in mind I'm originally from S. Florida, I think the Shaq acquisition was the slimiest thing the Heat have ever done. For some reason, I keep finding myself defending him, though. 2. You are intellectually dishonest. No. I may use some unfair tactics when arguing online once in a while, but when I'm arguing religion, politics, or video games, I make a point of taking the other person into account, no matter how much I disagree. 3. You resort to personal attacks during debate. Depends on your definition. I'll use personal information to make an attack... but it's almost always backed up with legitimate info, and if it's not, that usually means I'm posting at 3:00 in the morning again, and I'll regret it the next day. I say "no." 4. The defeat of your enemy is more rewarding than your victory. This is tough, because with so few players, usually the defeat of your enemy directly or indirectly contributes to your victory. The key word here is "more." That given, I'm pretty sure I can honestly say "no." 5. You bring nothing new to a conversation. Usually if I don't have anything to say, I don't say it. One of the aforementioned "unfair tactics" I use is to poke holes in other arguments more than provide an argument, myself. But they're logically thought-out holes. Eh, all that given, I'll say "maybe." 6. You are anti-fanboy. See #3. I take what everyone says into account, until they prove to me that I shouldn't. No on this one. Final score: 2/6 Hooray! I'm 1/3 fanboy!

Around the Network
Gamecraze said:
1. no 2. no. 3. no 4. no 5. no 6. no whew, not a fanboy. Will own all major consoles. Eventually, when the games warrant it. If ur gonna get a 360 - walmart has best warranty(3 years after manfactuers warranty 50$) Which is pretty much guarenteed to be needed.

Haha

Nice. Thanks for the info.

1 - No, of course I defend games I like, but that can be easily for PSP as well. If people don't like the games I like, well, tough, but everyone has it's own taste. It's not I would melt for a Resident Evil on the WII anyway... People feel like to have the need to go bashing around, be my guest, as long as I'm not the victim.

2 - no, when I'm right I'm right, when I'm not, I'm not, simple is that.

3 - no, too pathetic, beside, I'd rather talk normally about games then to debate.

4 - eh not really, can't stand fighting, especially "no" personal offending.

5 - yes / no, depends on the subject and the way people are reacting. Normally after saying a thing twice, I don't feel like repeating it over and over again.

6 - yes, fanboy is probably a negative thing, I call myself a big Nintendo fan but a fan who can be objective and also appreciates other companies. I hate it people flaming at consoles / game companies for no good reason.

So I guess I'm not really a fanboy, but just an objective fan with a heart for others as well ;) I'm honest, sometimes I cross my own line with that, when someone really start to pull the string that hard, but as I've learned from that by just to count till 10 before I say anything stupid, I've noticed it's the best thing to do. Fanboys can create fanboyisme without you even notice it.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said:

1 - No, of course I defend games I like, but that can be easily for PSP as well. If people don't like the games I like, well, tough, but everyone has it's own taste. It's not I would melt for a Resident Evil on the WII anyway... People feel like to have the need to go bashing around, be my guest, as long as I'm not the victim.

2 - no, when I'm right I'm right, when I'm not, I'm not, simple is that.

3 - no, too pathetic, beside, I'd rather talk normally about games then to debate.

4 - eh not really, can't stand fighting, especially "no" personal offending.

5 - yes / no, depends on the subject and the way people are reacting. Normally after saying a thing twice, I don't feel like repeating it over and over again.

6 - yes, fanboy is probably a negative thing, I call myself a big Nintendo fan but a fan who can be objective and also appreciates other companies. I hate it people flaming at consoles / game companies for no good reason.

So I guess I'm not really a fanboy, but just an objective fan with a heart for others as well ;) I'm honest, sometimes I cross my own line with that, when someone really start to pull the string that hard, but as I've learned from that by just to count till 10 before I say anything stupid, I've noticed it's the best thing to do. Fanboys can create fanboyisme without you even notice it.

7. Your login name includes the name of a console

8. Your Avatar is a prominent picture of a console game

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

SO??!! Because I'm a fan of the WII and I'm looking forward for Mario Galaxy that doesn't mean I'm a fanboy, girl in this case... two different things, like I've already explained *sigh*.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

http://www.negative-reinforcement.com/index.php?id=41

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Hi Everybody

Everybody: "Hi Doctor Nick" 

I like all the points mentioned here. Are Kwaad and his sidekick Hus really banned ? (I wonder how I connected them to this topick) This site is like a buddist temple at the moment.  Even tough I like the peace I do miss Kwaad to give a different point of view and be the rebel without applause. Hope he comes back soon.  Anyway, if I stop right here and don´t ad to the topic am I a fanboy ? I didn´t even mention a console. Well I´m not taking the risk of breaking the fifth Fanboy commandment. "Thou shalt not bring nothing new to a topic." In my huble opinion the  biggest seperation between a fan and a fanboy is that a fan just really likes something he can identify with (Konsoles, Sports teams, Cars, Tv shows....) a fanboy however doesn´t just like what he or she identifys with but dislikes everything opposing it. (Star Wars fan hating Star Trek, Nascar fan hating F1....) So do you know any more major criteria that separates fans from fanboys. (players and haters if you watch to much MTV...at least Nintendo and Sony don´t start gang-wars only console-wars)