By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The true History of Kirby

John Kirby is an American attorney employed by the law firm Latham & Watkins LLP that has represented a number of notable corporations in legal disputes. One of his most well-known cases was Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Nintendo Co., Ltd. In this case, he defended Nintendo against litigation from Universal City Studios in a dispute revolving around the video game Donkey Kong, which Universal claimed to be illegally based on King Kong. Kirby won the case, a landmark victory for Nintendo, by presenting evidence that Universal had previously won a legal battle against RKO that stated the story and characters of King Kong were in the public domain; thus, Universal had no legal right to claim ownership of the characters and basic scenario (man rescuing a woman from a large ape) when the studio originally threatened legal action against Nintendo.

It is believed that the popular Nintendo character Kirby was named in his honor. He also has exclusive rights to use the name "Donkey Kong" for sailboats

Funny, isn't it?

Around the Network

such a nice honor for him

So, a character that compulsively sucks and swallows was named after a lawyer?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Hahaha funny history lesson, do something for Nintendo and they immortalize you as a pink floating ball that eats everything.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

very interesting. a very informative thread

Around the Network

It's the ultimate honor.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

"He also has exclusive rights to use the name Donkey Kong for sailboats"

I'm sure he's shitting his pants in joy over that one.

"Here are my sailboats....over there is the Donkey Kong I. To the left is the Donkey Kong II, and just past it is the Donkey Kong III."

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
"He also has exclusive rights to use the name Donkey Kong for sailboats"

I'm sure he's shitting his pants in joy over that one.

"Here are my sailboats....over there is the Donkey Kong I. To the left is the Donkey Kong II, and just past it is the Donkey Kong III."

"Would you like to take a ride across the Atlantic Ocean on my Donkey?"

Nice honor. I wonder if any other characters are named after people for a similar reason.

nice find. very educating.

maybe he was small, a bit chubby and so...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.