By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony unveils the fastest home internet connection

And it's one of the cheapest!

Look who it is!!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/worlds-fastest-home-internet-launches-in-japan-sony-so-net/

"Google Fiber might be making waves with its 1Gbps speeds, but it's no match for what's being hailed as the world's fastest commercially-provided home internet service: Nuro. Launched in Japan yesterday by Sony-supported ISP So-net, the fiber connection pulls down data at 2 Gbps, and sends it up at 1 Gbps. An optical network unit (ONU) given to Nuro customers comes outfitted with three Gigabit ethernet ports and supports 450 Mbps over 802.11 a/b/g/n. When hitched to a two-year contract, web surfers will be set back 4,980 yen ($51) per month and pony up a required 52,500 yen (roughly $540) installation fee, which is currently being waived for folks who apply online. Those lucky enough to call the Land of the Rising Sun home can register their house, apartment or small business to receive the blazing hookup, so long as they're located within Chiba, Gunma, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Tokyo, Kanagawa or Saitama. Click the bordering source link for more details on signing up."

Around the Network

Nice.

I wonder if people on Google's Fiber or Sony's Nuro are actually never going to see those speeds as its faster than the rest of the internet.

superchunk said:
Nice.

I wonder if people on Google's Fiber or Sony's Nuro are actually never going to see those speeds as its faster than the rest of the internet.

well, say for example you have a service being provided over those lines like a streaming of some kind..

2GB connection! O_O

That's it.. I'm moving to Japan.

PS4 always online confirmed.

Around the Network

Theyre gonna need it with the ps4. 51$ is obviously a special for early adopters. Id get it

Bet they wouldn't have trouble streaming PS4 games or 4K video.

My speed isn't even 1/10th of that. :/

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Nice.

That's nice, $51 is a bit more than what my family currently pays for 16.000 kbit (of which we only can use 12.000 kbit) and telephone included. So jealous :/

250MB/s Download...that's 167x faster than what I have for only 1,28x the money we have to pay...JEALOUS

speed is not the problem, the fucking data cap is where we get screwed

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.